Home | About | Donate

Cincinnati and the Murder of Samuel DuBose

Cincinnati and the Murder of Samuel DuBose

Amy Goodman, Denis Moynihan

A stunning indictment has been handed down in Cincinnati, focusing attention again on police killings of people of color. Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph T. Deters announced that University of Cincinnati Police Officer Ray Tensing has been charged with murder, for the July 19 shooting death of Samuel DuBose, a 43-year-old African-American man. Tensing pulled over DuBose because he was driving a car without a front license plate. As Deter said in his news conference: “He was dealing with someone without a front license plate.

Ms. Goodman deserves credit for keeping these stories in the news.

Today's article by Andrew Mwenda is the perfect complement to this piece. With too much evidence at his disposal, Mr. Mwenda challenges Obama's right to speak with any moral authority about Africa and its purported path to progress.

Police target people whom they refer to as "DWB" (driving while Black)...and I mean that literally...especially in the cases of Bland and DuBose of late. I am sure there are "good" members of police and sheriff departments but all it takes is one or two bad ones (and their pals that corroborate their false reports) to cause everyone grief. What is positive is that the malefactors are caught in the act and the negative is that people lose their lives during those acts. Then the "investigations" (such as they are when conducted internally) ensue, usually resulting in exoneration of the offending officers. Do not like being cynical but reality keeps hitting me in the face.

One of the many things I noted in the video of Sandra's arrest was, having watched what the cop did, he is heard talking to someone on the phone describing the arrest. His description was so blatantly a lie it was disgusting, as was the whole charade.
* As I suggested in another comment the other day, I wonder if the autopsy determined if she had been raped, sodomized or worse while in the Texas Bastille.
;-})

Why?
Why didn't Samuel DuBose have his driver's license?
Why did Samuel DuBose try to drive away, and if that was his best/only plan all along, why didn't he leave the engine running?
Why did Ray Tensing think that his telling a lie wasn't going to be discovered when checked against his camera?
Why did Ray Tensing put himself in a mental state that made him feel that shooting this man rather than letting him drive off and picking him up an hour or two later was reasonable option?

His life absolutely mattered, and he did NOT have to die that day.
Why does this continue to happen day after day?

Why aren't there video games to educate cops in general in how we want them to deal with us
Why do I not feel an us connection with Mr. DuBose after watching that video?
Why?

"Ms. Goodman deserves credit for keeping these stories in the news."

I agree that Amy is the antidote to the miasma of Fox News, but having said that she does not deserve credit for keeping the mendacious lies of 9/11 out of the news. And with all due respect to Amy, it is most likely not her decision, but she is culpable for accepting the decision of her superiors.

This kind of thing is not just restricted to automobile traffic stops. About 4 years ago I needed to travel by Trailways bus from L.A. to Florida. Most of my travelling companions were Black families with children. When the bus driver pulled into a convenience store parking lot in West Texas, near Interstate-10, which doubled as a bus depot, we were allowed a 15 minute rest stop and several passengers disembarked. I went into the convenience store with several other pilgrims and waited in line while people purchased their snacks and drinks. I noticed a low-key confrontation at the register between the White store clerk and a Black teenage boy who was buying a bottle of soda. The clerk had apparently taken offense at something the Black teenager had said, which I hadn't overheard. She took his money and the rest of us continued through the line and re-boarded the bus. The trip resumed and everything seemed normal, until the bus driver pulled into another, unscheduled stop about 20 minutes down the road. Waiting there were two local police (White cops; I forget the name of the town). The bus driver, who had been communicating with someone on a wireless, opened the door and the two cops came on board. The bus driver stood up and pointed toward the back of the bus at the same Black teenager I'd seen in the store. One of the cops then pointed at the kid and demanded ("Hey, you!) that the kid come forward. As soon as the kid reached the front of the bus the cop grabbed him and hustled him outside. There, he and his partner hand-cuffed the kid and placed him under arrest. As they were doing so, the rest of the kid's family (there were several young children) looked out through the window in fear and amazement. No one on the bus dared say a word, as the bus driver glared down the aisle before turning around and resuming the eastward trip. I had just witnessed a teenage kid from L.A. being dragged off a Trailways bus in the middle of nowhere, West Texas, for the crime of travelling while Black.