Home | About | Donate

Citing Harm to Public Education, Bernie Sanders Calls for Ban on For-Profit Charter Schools

Citing Harm to Public Education, Bernie Sanders Calls for Ban on For-Profit Charter Schools

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Ahead of the official introduction of his sweeping education platform in South Carolina this coming weekend, Sen. Bernie Sanders on Friday became the first 2020 presidential candidate to call for a national ban on for-profit charter schools.

6 Likes

GO BERNIE! wonderful comments on how bad charter schools are for all.

25 Likes

Bernie Sanders continues to show his quality, dedication and vast concern for the “little people”, the Common Good, our increasingly threatened environment and Mother Earth.

He stands head and shoulders above all the pretenders and shills. Bernie is the way to end this nightmare trump regime and begin the healing…as he was last election.

18 Likes

You Rock Bernie! Keep calling out DeVos, as anything she’s involved in needs to be dismantled.

20 Likes

Very good Bernie. But the profit often hides behind the nonprofits running charter schools.

4 Likes

He’s the man. All these supposedly new progressives could easily be persuaded ($$$$$$$$$) to go back to their old ways i.e. Harris, Booker, Beto, Mayor B, and of course Biden is a war mongering neocon.

13 Likes

That’s NOT how you pass the Party elite’s purity test Bernie

4 Likes

Yes but THEY pass the corporate purity test. So they got that goin for 'em

Anytime I hear neoliberal Corporate ‘centrists’ whining about progressives and purity tests, let’s keep in mind who actually administers the purity tests

7 Likes

" The Atlantic noted that DeVos had indicated in a 1997 op-ed that she expects results from her political contributions. “My family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican Party. I have decided to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence,” she wrote. “Now I simply concede the point. They are right.”[39] She also stated in the op-ed, “We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues … We expect a return on our investment; we expect a good and honest government. Furthermore, we expect the Republican Party to use the money to promote these policies and, yes, to win elections.”[40]"

Read about Madam DeVos - even it is simply wikipedia. Education depends on being informed. Public Education depends on understanding that core belief we are looking at is “might makes right”. In education that constitutes predation. Learn what she says she wants you to learn, even though it is through a construct that is demonstrably failing.

scroll down on wiki for a date-line listing of her actions.

12 Likes

Totally agree. It’s not the old way, it’s the only way for most of them.

4 Likes

Well her brother has made fortune from the wars the Party has provided so he is obligated to return the flow. It’s the Circle of life. Any bets that the same thing has been done with money to Israel coming back as political “donations” through AIPAC?

6 Likes

As my home-made bumper sticker said in 2016:  Bernie ROCKS while Hillary SQUAWKS!!

Right On!!   Not only should for-profit charter schools be banned, extra care MUST be taken that NOT ONE DIME of OUR taxes goes to ANY school affiliated in any way with a religious organization, that teaches any non-rational pseudo-science such as creationism or intelligent design, or that proselytizes in any way whatsoever.   IMHO, DeVos REAL purpose is to destroy public education so that far-right funny-dementalist theocrats can take over our schools in order to brainwash our children in line with their narrow-minded “christian” views, and any profits made from these schools are secondary to the promotion of their false religion.

12 Likes

If they are allowed they need to be held to the same rules, regulations, and requirements as public schools.

5 Likes

good start. abolish all private schooling, including and especially religious schools.

3 Likes

Charter schools are a confusing concept… if they are privately owned—why shroud they get public tax payer money?

7 Likes

Education for Profit is another Swamp Creature Strategy to milk the Masses.

Bernie is on to something.

I bet “Touch-n-Go Joe” is silent on this.

15 Likes

“Citing Harm to Public Education, Bernie Sanders Calls for Ban on For-Profit Charter Schools”
— YESSSS !!!

7 Likes

“Biden is a war mongering neocon” … smiley … PIG !

6 Likes

The SOLD-OUT Market-Bots amongst us, cannot
conceive of Education … for it OWN sake!

Education — Knowledge of the World … and Life … around us as a hyper-useful and beautiful END unto itself … that can help solve common problems to make Life … BETTER!
— Big Pharma & bomb manufacturers have a hard time with that concept.

5 Likes

Bernie Sanders is doing what he was elected to the Senate for, and that is championing the “peoples” agenda instead of the “corporate” agenda promoted by ALL Republicans and MOST Democrats. He’s sponsoring and promoting progressive bills in both the House & Senate while running a full bore Presidential campaign. And, how old is this guy again?

Edit to add: He’s the real deal, too.

15 Likes