Home | About | Donate

Citing 'Hateful Rhetoric' of Trump, Arts & Humanities Council Resigns En Masse

Citing 'Hateful Rhetoric' of Trump, Arts & Humanities Council Resigns En Masse

Julia Conley, staff writer

In a strong rebuke of President Donald Trump equating white supremacists who gathered in Charlottesville, Virginia last weekend with counter-protesters who demonstrated against bigotry, all members of the president's Committee on the Arts and Humanities announced their resignations Friday—and urged Trump to do the same.

More people doing the right thing. Maybe Ryan and McConnell will be next. Resist and impeach.

BRAVO! “Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up” - Evey Hammond

Artists from the arts and humanities committee told the truth and made a statement - “In a strong rebuke of President Donald Trump equating white supremacists who gathered in Charlottesville, Virginia last weekend with counter-protesters who demonstrated against bigotry”…

The people who stood up to resist and oppose the white nationalist, neo-nazi supremacist extremists were here called “counter protesters” not the “alt-left” or “antifa” - those terms are used to create a false equivalence between the white supremacists and those who reject racism - those labels for strong opposition to corporatism, fascism, trump, white racism, and neo-nazi admiration are BS labels and should be rejected, although that fight supported and joined!

To resist means to stand and fight- not quitting and going away. Who will form the cultural committee now? Miley Cyrus, Honey Boo Boo, and the Duck Brothers? That committee surrendered valuable territory, which needed to be held with insightful creativity and wise expression that cultural leaders are uniquely positioned to assert. These people have failed the responsibility they were given.

This will work.

More !

Um? Is there still anybody left in this bizarre administration?

What if you gave a White House and… there was nobody home?

Knock knock?
Who’s there?
The White House!
The White House who?
Yeah, you ain’t kidding!

Emphyrio, was it you that posted that beautiful quote from James Baldwin the other day? I’ve spent the last hour tracking that down - couldn’t find the article or thread that it was posted to, but the journey elsewhere to find it was well worth it.

“For nothing is fixed, forever and forever and forever, it is not fixed; the earth is always shifting, the light is always changing, the sea does not cease to grind down rock. Generations do not cease to be born, and we are responsible to them because we are the only witnesses they have. The sea rises, the light fails, lovers cling to each other, and children cling to us. The moment we cease to hold each other, the sea engulfs us and the light goes out.”

This isn’t non-sequitor; Baldwin had a lot to say about education and the arts growing up in a world that neither valued nor respected him. Perhaps the most hated man on earth will fill the void left by this departed council with re-run clips of The Apprentice, or substitute the glamour and spectacle of beauty pageants for the beauty of truth and enlightenment. He understands all of the form of our culture, but none of its substance.

No, Justaman, it was someone else who posted Baldwins wonderful quote and I thank you both for that great vision in word, and will remember Baldwin’s loving sentiment.
Its very coincidental I just today saw a piece that included Baldwins “The Fire Next Time” with a great photo of the author.

I’m thinking there won’t be an Arts & Humanities Council any more.

Breaking news…
Melania Trump resigns as first lady.
Today is last day.
/s

I am curious as to why this is even news. A group of Obama appointees resign because they don’t like Obama’s successor. To paraphrase Inspector Renault,

“I’m shocked, shocked to find partisanship going on here”

"Supremacy, discrimination, and vitriol are not American values. Your values are not American values. We must be better than this. We are better than this. If this is not clear to you, then we call on you to resign your office, too."
It is my belief that we need to accept the fact that YES, the above are the values of many Americans and therefore (white) supremacy, discrimination, bigotry, racism, antisemitism and other ‘negative’ values ARE American values too. They represent the American Shadow, our dark side, just like mine or yours. To deny their existence in our society is like me denying the existence of my shadow. We have repressed and suppressed them for too long and the only way to tame them and to conquer them is to accept them, to get to know them. Yes, we need to find a way to enter into a dialogue with the white supremacists. We put barriers to this dialogue as much as they do but we NEED to do it!

I think so, too. At least not in Republican presidencies.

Those are not MY values.

Justaman,

I posted that fragment of James Baldwin’s larger quote. Various sites have slightly different quotes, but the one I posted is here:

…The sea rises, the light fails, lovers cling to each other, and children cling to us. The moment we cease to hold each other, the moment we break faith with one another, the sea engulfs us and the light goes out.”
James Baldwin, Nothing Personal (1964)

The bolded phrase is in the quote I used. It adds another dimension to his poem.

I am glad you and Empyrio like the quote. As I said, it’s my favorite. I even have it hanging in my dining room, enclosed in Quillwork, a Chinese paper art craft.

Baldwin was an outspoken critic of racism and a courageous man.

Be careful Boston. Fascism is not suade or moved by reason or logic, as a matter of fact expressions of love and co-operation only makes it angry and violent. These humans have not yet evolved beyond aggression and they are not above murder. There are no good Nazis, alt right white supremacist or their apologists or sympathizers. They are fascist and dead enders. They can’t build a functional society. When they have destroyed reason, synergy and caring they will turn on each other. Listen to their chants, they are not kidding.

Please remember that Pubs and Dems are accomplished at more quietly enabling systemic racism to flourish in America.
Trump is a dangerous sideshow which should not distract for a moment from the need to remove the extremism that has ruled U.S. politics for decades. “Centrist” politics has no plan to renovate the well documented racism of our ‘justice system’.The prevalence of poverty in minorities and people of color is accepted in mainstream politics.
Trump is a chump, but Dems & Pubs are equally dangerous liars who also support systemic racism while denying they do so. As most of us know, the failure to act decade after decade makes one complicit by non action, and, by voting to maintain the status quo.

Wow. Here I thought millions of Democrats tried to keep confederate sympathizers out of the white house this last election. And the vile Democrats pass the largest healthcare expansion for the poor in decades–backing systematic racism. You called it. It’s obviously Democrats that are the problem.

‘Hateful Rhetoric’ BY Trump —not “of”— or you have to change the title to read: ‘Hateful Rhetoric’ of Trump’s —with an apostrophe + “s”. The way the title is written, grammatically it is saying there has been hateful rhetoric where Trump is the target of that rhetoric.

Geez, where have all the copy editors gone these days???

Hmmm… Is most of the nation gradually seceding from Il Trumpo?