Home | About | Donate

Citing Rhetoric and Policies, US Tourism Industry Blames Trump as Foreigners Flock Elsewhere

Citing Rhetoric and Policies, US Tourism Industry Blames Trump as Foreigners Flock Elsewhere

Published on
Wednesday, January 24, 2018
by

Edit News Thanks to Trump's Xenophobic Rhetoric and Policies, Foreign Travelers Flock Elsewhere

"It's not a reach to say the rhetoric and policies of this administration are affecting sentiment around the world, creating antipathy toward the U.S. and affecting travel behavior."

The U.S. saw a major decline in international tourism in 2017—the first year of President Donald Trump's term. (Photo: Mark Collins/Flickr/cc)

The tourism industry is blaming President Donald Trump's anti-immigrant policies and xenophobic rhetoric for a decline in foreign visitors to the U.S. since Trump took office a year ago.

The National Travel and Tourism Office saw a nearly four percent drop in foreign travelers entering the U.S. in 2017 and more than a three percent drop in spending by tourists.

The slump translates to $4.6 billion in lost tourist spending and 40,000 tourism jobs lost.

The data was released at the end of a year in which Trump ordered bans on travelers from several Muslim-majority countries; pardoned former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was found guilty of racially profiling Latinos and abusing inmates; touted his plans to build a 30-foot wall separating the U.S. from Mexico; and moved to repeal deportation protections for undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S as children and have lived and worked there for years.

Most recently the president was accused by Republican and Democratic lawmakers of referring to Haiti, El Salvador, and the nations of Africa as "shithole" countries and advocated for more immigration from European countries such as Norway.

"It's not a reach to say the rhetoric and policies of this administration are affecting sentiment around the world, creating antipathy toward the U.S. and affecting travel behavior," Adam Sacks, president of Tourism Economics, told the New York Times.

The decline has bumped the U.S. out of its place as the number-two most visited country in the world, with Spain taking its place.

The number-one spot went to France, as it did in 2016.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

Is anyone really surprised?

BDS the USA.

Polluted Air, Polluted Water, Militaristic Law Enforcement, High Priced Healthcare, Crazy Fucking President and Congress.

Where’s the draw for tourists?

Well for one thing, most other circuses have gone defunct.

If you follow me
There’s a speciality
Some tears for you to see
Misery, misery

Roll Up!
Roll Up!
Roll Up!
See the Show!

Next upon the bill
In a house upon the hill
We’ve a stripper in a till
What a thrill!
What a thrill!

Not content with that
With a hand behind our back
Pull Jesus from a hat
Get into that, get into that

Roll Up!
Roll Up!
Roll Up!
See the Showwww!

: ELP, Karn Evil 9 1st Impression, Part 1

I couldn’t care less about trump. That is not what keeps me out of the US. I think America is totally dysfunctional, peopled by fools and ingrates who don’t have a functioning brain among them all! I absolutely refuse to be pawed over and sexually assaulted at a US airport. When flying to Mexico or anywhere in South or Central America, I refuse to fly on any airlines that thinks it’s a good idea to make a stop in the US on route. I did that once and once was once too many times. I also don’t feel safe in the US. There are simply too many guns in idiots’ hands. No thank you. I will be travelling to other places from now on and look forward to Portugal in the Spring!

I only wish I had your options. Feel for us who are literally prisoners here due to poverty and lack of opportunity…

I also recommend AEnema by Tool–great lyrics. Great song.

I’ll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am one of those who no longers travels to the US. Used to go to Hawaii regularly but the border gangs who treat you like a terrorist didn’t help. The hawaii that used to exist is gone on Oahu. The all mighty buck is #1, history, culture and environment are #2 or worse. Mostly it is the feeling that you are in an ignorant country where people are too wasteful and greedy.

Come to Spain too. Just taken second place as the most popular destination after all.

Used to love being in the US. No more since 911. Immigration officers, customs officers and security staff at airports are rude like anything.
Even within my own american family I feel like an outcast with my knowledge and progressive attitude. Can’t have any serious discussion there. Too much self censoring, too much fear to say something wrong.

Ah! Trump, our Sumo wrestler golf fanatic. I am waiting for that gigantic swing and miss with Trump rolling down hill afterwards. Centrifugal force between his blubber belly and blubber butt? And his politics are even worse!

Decided a while back that the U.S. is not going to grill me at the border or demand my passwords or find out my religious preferences. I’m not going to be part of gratuitous gun violence and crazed litigiousness that can prey on the innocent. And i sure don’t want to use my $$$$ to prop up an authoritarian, aggressive world power that believes with religious zealotry that people who want real democracy are terrorists. The dangerous and hostile faith in the (un)free market, historical denialism, and gun/militaristic based identity, with a frothing violent ‘freedom’ don’t make this a culture that encourages free, accurate and thoughtful discussion.
PS Posting on sites like this has placed us on Trump’s bad-people list that need ‘special treatment’ at the border.

Just traveled through Europe and felt the same way at just about every airport. The worst was a small, probably new airport called Southend London. The guardia there were insane. We thought that they would have heart attacks keeping everybody and every tiny thing under their control.And it was not busy at all.

I am a LOL, a little old lady and I get frisked in every airport here in the USA also. Makes me feel like a criminal