Home | About | Donate

Civil Disobedience is the Only Way Left to Fight Climate Change

Civil Disobedience is the Only Way Left to Fight Climate Change

Kara Moses

ight now, thousands of people are taking direct action as part of a global wave of protests against the biggest fossil fuel infrastructure projects across the world. We kicked off earlier this month by shutting down the UK’s largest opencast coal mine in south Wales.

Protest and demonstrations are in the air for another generation...the future. That is if we intend to have a future?

Stand and protest, we all know why we need to. Complaining and explaining to the already converted is no longer enough. We all know the score. Protests are the only way to make those who don't want to hear ...listen to what needs to be done.

At least in the US it would be more helpful if voters would turn out to give the Democrats a majority and in the House and Senate and of course make sure Donald Trump doesn't get anywhere near the White House. A big obstacle to more rapid action on climate change in the US is the Republican Party. Will Americans finally get it on climate change? I'm skeptical but we will see in November.

The fossil fuel industry receives a lot of criticism these days, and rightfully so. But in the final analysis, we are the ones who support the energy industry and it is our standard of living that will need to change. So contemplate what you can do for the cause

Personal Actions
End our love affair with the automobile
Ride more trains and buses
Car pool
Walk and bike more
Turn off the air conditioner in the summer and dial the thermostat down in winter
Become vegetarians or vegans
Refill plastic bottles with tap water
Discontinue using aluminum cans with and without carbonation
Maximize use of reusable bags and products
Recycle junk mail
Forego fast junk food
Go to “slow food”;
Recycle maximally, especially aluminum cans
Drive and accelerate more slowly
Climb more stairs
Plant more trees
Forego use of spray cans
Repair, mend and alter as much as possible
Buy solar panels
Compost as much as possible
Last person out of the room turn off the lights
Eat and farm organic
Fly fewer planes
Promote conference calls and web cams, fewer meetings
Use manual tools instead of power tools
Share more
Use rakes rather than leaf blowers
Decrease use of bottled water and refill plastic bottles with tap water
Maximize reusable bags and products
Push rather than power small mowers
Replace lawns with vegetable gardens
Stop fertilizing and mowing lawns
Compost as much as possible
Minimize use of disposables (Pampers, Ikea furniture);
Maximize high efficiency LED and solar powered lighting;
Limit endless gadgets
Use motion lighting, where appropriate

Local Government Actions
Reorganize cities, building taller residences with a smaller footprint (the end of suburbia)
Institute a carbon tax
Promote car pooling subsidize and expand mass transit
Expand bike paths
Have shareable (zip) cars
Ban electric outdoor signs;
Eat and farm organic
Eliminate approximately 50% of all street lighting and office lighting in unoccupied buildings
eliminate “fast junk food”; go to “slow food
replace

Federal Government Actions
Ban gasohol
Rein in the militaries for defense only and outlaw war
Discontinue night baseball
Shift from long distance truck to rail transport
Make electronics, house wares, furniture, etc to be as durable and long-lived as possible
Recycle maximally
Make appliances to be as energy efficient as possible
Discontinue aluminum cans
Ban electric outdoor signs
Maximize solar and wind power;
Change from petroleum based fertilizers to regenerative agriculture
Reverse deforestation, plant more trees
Restrict spray cans
Promote zero population growth with free condoms and family planning world-wide
End yearly auto model changes;
Promote subsidies for renewable energy
Diminish junk mail

Seeing how every item listed by ruckndl has at least one political lobby, and nearly all of the Democrats who Lrx wants us to vote for are funded by the same outfits who fund the lobbyists, it appears that the most efficient and perhaps only way to make progress in fighting climate change is to get ALL private money out of politics.

What political lobby is going to prevent you from leaving your air conditioner off this summer and settle for a simple fan? I recycle about eight pounds of junk mail a month. I do not need to fight a lobby to do that. Look over that list. If there is not something that you can do, I respectfully say that you are part of the problem.

Although your list is 100% spot on, and I, along with every other Murkin, are part of the problem, The amount of trash my wife and I generate each week fits into a book backpack that you see kids wearing to school..Everything else is repurposed or recycled, Our overall lifestyle puts us in the top 5% of Murkins in fighting climate change and we continue making progress in improving that number.

Having worked in design and construction industries for decades let me assure you that there are lobbies that work against more energy efficiency regulations. promote air conditioning in locations where less costly, more efficient HVAC is appropriate. The government and utility subsidized ductless heat pump (DHP) campaign is the result of lobbying. DHP are appropriate in a small fraction of the applications that they are being promoted in.The vanity side of the industry is unfortunately pushing consumers to get rid of those fans.

Kudos to you for not being influenced by the lobbyists. Unfortunately, my elected representatives are heavily influenced by them.

I've always wondered about the logic of masses of Americans driving their cars to climate change rallies. Either way, protest of any sort must be limited to weekends and holidays, since we can't afford to take time off and can't risk losing our jobs. There's nothing to fall back on.

As my patron saint Will Rogers said in 1930, "We've got the best Congress money can buy". The only thing that has changed is that the price has gone up>

It seems to me that protest is one part, but it is not a fight but solutions that are needed.