Home | About | Donate

Civil Rights and Voter Suppression in the US

Civil Rights and Voter Suppression in the US

Meghan Tinsley

On 27 September 2018, Crystal Mason waved farewell to her three children and surrendered to authorities in Fort Worth, Texas. She entered a federal prison, where she would begin a five-year sentence. Her crime? Attempting to vote in the 2016 US presidential election.

1 Like

I love the quote from Howard Zinn, but maybe someone will say here that it is “lefter than thou,” and therefore rejectable and dismissable.

It’s just too radical, you know, deary.

2 Likes

Its frustrating to know that there are good alternatives like liquid democracy, but many think that the people are too stupid to make the laws and continue to let the oligarchy do it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=liquid+democracy&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=2ahUKEwiw2ZPl4JjeAhXHtVkKHf7tA604KBCwBHoECAYQAQ&biw=1280&bih=626#imgrc=GQGZA6Q-DC0pEM:

Long gone are the days when Republicans were civil about their bigotry.

Now, they still lie about it, but in the end, their Hatred just oozes out of every pore in their bodies and takes the forms of the rejection of Civil Rights and Voter Suppression to name only a couple.

3 Likes

I was fortunate to see on stage Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka.

If they had been allowed to debate the bleached Blonds, it would have been an awakening for the nation.

3 Likes

We have to know that is exactly why they have been not allowed in the debates, hell, Dr. Stein was arrested for just showing up!

2 Likes

The Senate candidate of the GP in Arizona has ended her campaign and is asking her fellow party members to vote for Sinema, the Democrat. " Many of her policy positions are my policy positions ". ( Oh, Oh… that will certainly put her in the doghouse for years. ) They’re all the same, right? The Democrats with their ex-black President and AG Holder and the Republicans with The Trumpster Dumpster & AG Sessions.
In a state like Arizona, with a blighted history of Confederate sympathies, skewed economic and cultural norms dating back 170 years and the infamous sheriff’s dept. of Maricopa County to back it all up, this is what " strategic voting " and counterpunching looks like at the ground level. Where white privilege and the denial of basic human rights and voting rights actually is the rubber meeting the road in real time.
There’s the kabuki and The D.C. Swamp, then there’s basic human decency and basic human rights. To start to break up the former, some areas of the country need to start with the latter, here in 2018.
Just sayin’.

2 Likes

So, I take that as a NO vote for Sinema in Arizona, for you? Well, if McSallie wins by 2 votes, then 1/2 of our collective trouble is on you.
How does that make you feel? Just askin’.

I know. Couldn’t even pull the lever for Cordray?