Home | About | Donate

Civil Rights Commission Calls for End to Subminimum Wages for People With Disabilities

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/17/civil-rights-commission-calls-end-subminimum-wages-people-disabilities

3 Likes

OMG, I didn’t know that having a disability meant a lower paycheck! Slavery comes in many forms in America. : (

3 Likes

@stardustIBID
There is far more to this than Kenny has provided. For example, a county may have a sheltered workshop supported by the county budget in addition to donations and any small profits made in sales of products made by handicapped employees.
Second, the sheltered workshop may not sell for less than a regular business. The staff level inside the workshop, administrators, bus drivers, janitors all need to be paid at regular state minimum hourly wage or more.
Third, the handicapped folks themselves receive federal funds every month. There is a limit on how much additional income they may earn. If they go to $15.00 per hour, there will be choices to be made. To retain federal income, reduce hours handicapped may work.

This is election campaigning, not progressive thinking st all. This system has been in place for about 45 years. It gives dignity to the handicapped person who is making a contribution.
It provides social inter actions and learning. It provides a few hours of relief for parents, caregivers.

Everybody applauds special olympics. The sheltered workshop is life olympics for the handicapped. Please do not take it away.

I am sure republicans detest the handicapped and any government money spent on their behalf.

2 Likes

In reading this CD news report, oldie, I agree with your assessment. You provide a valuable and accurate primer to the larger picture of day programs and work programs for persons with disabilities.

In Iowa and probably other parts of the country, during the past 20 years, “sheltered workshops” have been largely closed down, and replaced by Adult Day Care and Day Habilitation services. While our agency maintains a smaller sheltered workshop for some workers at the subminimum wage, I work with a group in Day Habilitation, and before COVID19, our group was fortunate to perform volunteer work in several locations around town. When there isn’t volunteer work, our group performs arts and crafts, and travels around the area for sightseeing and conversations, along with walks for exercise, and other day programming.

Some workers still want to work, but getting hired is a big hurdle. Depending on the person’s disability, keeping the job usually requires a Job Coach for assisted supervision. This system can work for those who still want to work, and our agency employs job coaches and pursues employment opportunities in the larger Dubuque community.

In Dubuque, our agency has been at it for 52 years. All along, it’s been a creative challenge.

2 Likes

thank you.

In some areas, handicapped can work in a regular occupation such as housekeeping in a hotel. Worker safety is important.

A new peeve:
I note that Charter schools will not accept any handicapped childrens. And I do not yet know if their teachers have to meet the states certification requirements. In Michigan, Governor Engler, years ago, moved all the special ed earmarked money out to another
account. The teachers had to use their own money to supply the students, etc.

2 Likes

Hi oldie:
Thank you for explaining all of that. On the surface it seemed unkind and unnecessary----but depending on the person and the circumstance it can give a positive meaning to the work and the person : )

1 Like

Prison based slavery is a disgrace in the US. Our low minimum wages are also a disgrace.

Zed, this is about handicapped people.
Not prisoners at all.
The idea, goal is to open opportunity for the individual to grow.
Be as self sufficient as possible,
Volunteers, not prisoners in sheltered work areas.

And their caregivers really need a break…I get it… Does it have any trade connection?

We had something like it in SF on 16th st and Guerrero (approximately) or Valencia. they sold their art. Some of which was nice;