Home | About | Donate

Cleaning Up After Pundits

Cleaning Up After Pundits

Jim Hightower

Being a muckracking political writer often makes me feel like a custodian in a horse barn, constantly shoveling manure. It's a messy, stinky job — but on the bright side, the stuff is plentiful, so the work is steady. Indeed, I'm now a certified Equine Excrement Engineer, having developed a narrow, but important, professional specialty: cleaning off the horsestuff that careless politicos and sloppy media types keep dumping on the word "populist."

Thanks for this. Sanders aside, what we've gotten from the right and from LC dems is cynical false populism which is a primary tool of fascism. It is vital to make the distinction.

So the good news is that Obama and Hillary aren't quite fascists because they're almost populists?
The bad news is that Trump and the rest of the Republicans are unadulterated Fascists which is why Hillary and Obama look less like the actual devil.
Political plutocrats talk a good game, but they never show up to play.

I guess the first place to start is with a definition of populism. So, what does Wikipedia have to say on this?

"Populism is a political ideology that holds that virtuous citizens are mistreated by a small circle of elites, who can be overthrown if the people recognize the danger and work together. Populism depicts elites as trampling on the rights, values, and voice of the legitimate people."

Wikipedia claims George Wallace was a populist.
"George Wallace, four-term Governor of Alabama, led a populist movement that carried five states and won 13.5% of the popular vote in the 1968 presidential election."

If George Wallace led a populist movement then I guess so does Donald Trump.

In the end it doesn't matter whether Trump is leading a populist movement or not. Whatever his movement is called it is characterized by hate, particularly against non-whites, and especially if they are not US citizens.

The 2016 election cycle has seen voters more supportive of "outsider" candidates than we have seen since Ross Perot's 1992 POTUS run. Outsiders are candidates who are not identified as part of the Washington DC inside circle.

Because the populist label has been frequently used to describe these outsiders, many insiders have attempted to adopt the label to describe themselves.

The label "populist" is being made ambiguous the same way that the label "fascism" has been ever since the start of the Raygun revolution and concurrent establishment of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC).

Just as corporations have always used ambiguity, complexity and confusion to increase profit, those same tactics are used to discourage eligible voters from voting. i know many Murkins who tell me that they are too confused to make a selection, or that "they are all bad, so I am not voting".

The best attorneys are skilled at establishing motive, opportunity, and PATTERN.

There is a real pattern to the sort of Word Inversion that is now impacting all areas of our lives.

Killing forests was termed "Healthy Forest Initiative."

The War ON Terror chiefly has taken on the character of a War OF Terror.

The Supreme Court decision to allow corporate moguls to purchase politicians (and through them, policy) was termed "Citizens United" when it had ZERO to do with most citizens.

Recently, Mrs. Clinton has sullied the term "Feminist" and essentially turned it into female advocacy for the worst policies of patriarchy (including war and environmental exploitation).

The term Progressive got knocked around, too. It's been used as a brand to neo-cons and neo-liberals and persons whose agenda is anything BUT Progressive.

So here, too, we see the term "Populist" used to whitewash the racism, sexism, and jingoism of millions of people who don't read, are programmed by Celebrity Culture, and easy prey to charlatans.

Thank you, Mr. Hightower for pointing out the way the term "Populist" has now hit the Hit List for maiming language and purposely distorting its intended meanings.

There is a WAR aimed at occupying peoples' minds and limiting their cognitive frames.

When words cease to hold their intended meanings, there is no way for people to understand each other and arrive at genuine consensus.

The post by Lrx got me to thinking about the 1960s and its turbulence when populism rose its head during the 1968 nominating process against LBJ and the Vietnam War which culminated in the ruckuses and riots of 1968 convention that marked the beginning of the end of the FDR Era Democratic Party. The Party would have none of it and nominated Vice-President Hubert Humphrey as its POTUS candidate which opened the door to the Oval for Tricky Dick Nixon and his criminal mechanizations That populism was symbolized by Senator Eugene McCarthy and his anti-war candacy. However it was more than anti-war. It encompassed many of the same issues we saw rise on the left in the stolen democratic primary election of 2016 where the establishment of the Corporate-DLC New Democrat Party selected Hillary as its anointed one. As that famous baseball player might say of the primary elections of 1968 and 2016: "It's de ja vu all over again!" I was around when George Wallace spewed his hate across our black and white TV sets that, gasp, only had the youngest kid in the family who could change the channel as the remote control. He was not and Trump is not in any shape, form or fashion a populist. They are simply symbols of the skeletons of right wing ideology laid bare. Establishment media seeks to put a patina of vilification on any left movement in order to tamp down the leftward nature of We, The Rabble. Keep the left vilified and marginalized is the only way they can keep us from calling their hand as they rape, pillage and plunder both human and natural resources that are becoming increasingly rare. However a collapsed economy and hunger has dramatic ways of of tipping the scales and it is time that The American Revolution be renewed - but this time not led by the 1%, who were most of the Founders, but by We, The Rabble from the bottom up. This time we rewrite the Constitution to make the beautiful words match the sentiments of We, The Rabble in a true and steadfast incarnation of We, The People.

As Jim Hightower aptly points out it is We, The Rabble who must make the changes happen. Bernie may have taken his glove and bat and checked into The Washingtonian Establishment Hotel but Our Political Revolution is still game on! Anything short of that is a betrayal of ourselves and future generations to come. We have a country and a planet to save. Please pay no attention to the Gizzards behind the curtain. They are merely pretending to be a left and right hand lever pullers when in fact they are holding hands and humming Fleecing The Sheeple!

Jill Stein 2016
And Leftward and Beyond!