Home | About | Donate

Climate Action Is in the Air

Climate Action Is in the Air

Hoda Baraka

The following remarks were made at the conclusion of the UN climate talks that formally concluded in Bonn, Germany on Thursday.

This week — and the past few months — have seen an incredible surge of momentum for climate action around the world. Climate action is in the air.

Divestment is not just for institutions. If you have mutual funds or a retirement plan, chances are good that you are unknowingly invested in fossil and other polluters and war industries. Check it and divest where needed.

I can't touch the one investment I have that is invested at least partly in stocks is a charitable remainder trust that I can't touch the principle of to protest with my feet their choice of stocks to invest in. The rest of my assets are an IRA invested in a savings account that gets a little extra interest because it is an IRA, and a CD, and another savings account.

When the Pope advises his followers to stop slaughtering animals for food, then he will be making a clear moral call for meaningful climate change action. Instead he issues hot air.