Home | About | Donate

Climate: Africa’s Human Existence Is at Severe Risk

Climate: Africa’s Human Existence Is at Severe Risk

Baher Kamal, IPS News

“Africa’s human existence and development is under threat from the adverse impacts of climate change – its population, ecosystems and unique biodiversity will all be the major victims of global climate change.”

This is how clear the Nairobi-based United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is when it comes to assessing the negative impact of climate change on this continent of 54 countries with a combined population of over 1,200 billion inhabitants. “No continent will be struck as severely by the impacts of climate change as Africa.”

One of the initiatives of Qaddafi was to form a union in Africa wherein taking control over their own resources they could invest in projects that would help prepare for this change. He felt Africa was resource rich and part of its problems were rooted in the exploitation of those resources by foreign Corporations.

This was seen as a threat to profits by those Corporations. Any such leaders are usually eliminated.

Today great tracts of land are being bought up by foreign investors in Africa. The Europeans, Saudi's , Chinese and North Americans are all involved in some way or another be it directly or through their Corporate front. (There in essence no real difference). While Climate change certainly plays a very large role here as far as the future of Africa is concerned , we can not forget the role that GREED for profits plays.

One concern I have is how this report will be used . Various groups are pressing the UN to privatize water, just as example arguing that the "free market" would better allocate the same. Various UN agencies are used to advance neoliberalism in third world countries. While I see no reason to doubt the report itself and the information contained within , I sincerely hope it not used to force solutions on Africa that have the real goal of more profits for the Corporations.

FIFO - enter stage left the homo sapiens on the African planes from good African hominidae stock and then exit right after a short dalliance, the same species, from the same stage. How ironic.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
creeps along in its petty pace from
to the last syllable of recorded time.
and all our yesterdays have lighted fools
the way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle
life is but a walking shadow. A poor player
that struts and frets his hour upon the stage
and then is heard no more. It is a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
signifying nothing.

Your point about Qaddafi was dead on. I think it's about more than corporate profits, though. Qaddafi was trying to detach from the petrodollar. That was a challenge the banksters wouldn't tolerate. One of their minions HRC ("We came, we saw, he died.") made sure that he was taken out, and gloated about it.

Something dark and sinister is going on here. The Powers That Be and their lackeys like Clinton give lip service to the challenge of Global Warming, but they know it's a done deal. They know that they can survive it all with their mobility and lack of attachment to any particular place on the planet. Not so for the billions who live in the Third World. The great culling of humanity is coming down on us like a runaway freight train.

Yes , the creation of a pan African currency in the way of the Dinar which would be backed by gold was part of his strategy.

By staying on the Dollar and or the Euro , the USA or the EU could simply print up paper money in return for real assets. The real value of those paper dollars , printed at will, would never truly equal the real value of the resources exchanged in return for that paper. It just another form of theft and of Colonialism.

"On Margate sands I can connect nothing with nothing" The Wasteland