Home | About | Donate

Climate Change-Fueled Food Crisis Could Kill Half a Million by 2050

According to well known British climate scientist Kevin Anderson, if we pass 4C the death toll from climate change could be in the billions.

I must say I agree, though applause to the Lancet for taking on the topic.

Surely in some effort to be responsible, Lancet left out events that we would include--from the looks of it, almost everything. But how are they separating deaths by soil depletion, desertification, political upheaval and failure to distribute resources--all of which will have some relationship to climate, and probably always a relationship that shall be denied, at least until the famous frog has gone from boiling to frying.

In almost all cases, deaths by starvation will tend to be of distributed cause, like other deaths. People will tally them and fail to tally them all sorts of ways.

No one should go hungry! We could feed the planet with grains we grow for chickens, cows and pigs. It's the muscle meat in the room addressed with fork and knife; and for some a little blood is appropriate.

There isn't a dividing line or cut off point where only those past the cut off point will die and the rest will be okay. In these areas there will be hundreds of people who are near death through starvation for every death that occurs. Those people who just barely survive another year. That includes the children who are stunted by starvation.

Moreover there will be millions that get by only on aid from richer countries who would die from starvation otherwise.

The world made by oligarchs is filled the dying poor. When a very few have so much - the many have very little. When the many have so little - there will be millions who haven't enough to survive.

That excuses those - the oligarchs - from any responsibility. In a world where resources were more equitably distributed and where fossil fuels weren't being protected from change by those who profit from their use, the people mentioned in the article would be able to survive.

I just don't see what's in it for Monsanto if people stop using GMOs and pesticides and curtail industrial agriculture. Where is the concern for shareholder value in any of this?

Is this a joke? Why would they publish this?
According to the U.N. it is already likely higher than that now. Over 9 million a year currently starve to death now. If only 5% of that can be attributed climate change there we are. Many works have attributed climate change to food scarcity around the world already...
"according to the United Nations special rapporteur on the right to food, on average 25,000 people die directly of starvation or starvation related causes every day"

Farmer - the report estimates that because of climate change effects on agriculture that an additional 500,000 deaths would likely occur by 2050.

Using your current figure of 9,000,000 ( which I feel is too low) deaths from starvation that climate change will cause directly will rise to be 9,500,000 by 2050.

Add in the number of refugees created by the perpetual war required to sustain the MIC and the number is much larger.

But we won't pass 4C by 2050, and this piece says half a million by 2050. Still probably way low.

Absolutely. You can't say "51,436 people died from climate-change caused famine, 651,897 from conflicts related to climate change, and 43,087 from storms exacerbated from climate change." The storms happen anyway--you can never say to what degree they were exacerbated by climate change. Famine leads to conflict, which leads to further famine. Disease happens anyway, but will spread farther due to warming, and will weaken people already facing famine; conflict also spreads disease. One thing I think we can expect is a gradual abandonment by governments and private charities of any pretense of trying to help victims of floods, hurricanes, droughts and earthquakes. And a gradual abandonment of any help to or tolerance for climate refugees. Typically, these people already come from places which have contributed the least to climate change, and try to get into places that contributed the most but are (so far) suffering least. This justice issue will not stop soldiers from shooting down desperate refugees, including children. The only question is when all this will happen. It needn't--if somehow democracy sprang forth in the world and control was wrenched from the sociopaths. But I don't see that happening.

I agree with your concern and with how you see the point of the piece but the report was based on the actual amount of nutrients produced and consumed by those most at risk. I think the number is surprisingly low but that may be due to the inherent conservative methodology involved in arriving at the estimate,.They used a conservative estimate of climate change which the world is seeing is low balling the rate of climate change.

By 2050 climate change if it has not been abated will do far more than kill another half million and as you correctly estimate all the corollary events from civil unrest, displacement and war to the spread of diseases to people and crops will dramatically add to that estimate.

Nevertheless these reports need to be made and by being conservative they are not easily refuted. The end result is that climate change alone will kill more people in the future becomes part of the general understanding.

If we even make it to 2050, the death toll will definitely be in the billions. The oceans are dying and by 2050 there will not be much to harvest from there so, right now, that's at least 1 billion people... that rely on the oceans to survive. The weather is only going to get worse every year so crops will fail in ever larger areas. Fresh water aquifers are on the way towards drying up all over the world while the glacier systems are disintegrating and rivers beginning to dry up. Of course, the rivers that are still flowing are poison. Using chemistry instead of organic methods to farm is slowly ruining the soil and will eventually have large scale implications on diminishing agriculture... not to mention the poison we consume because of it. There is obviously not going to be any significant transition away from fossil fuel while the beast rules the world... so... the climate will continue to get worse which means warming.

I do not hear that much about it and I know they keep it out of the mass media... METHANE. It is releasing more and more all the time. Melting permafrost, warming ocean currents affecting seabeds, drilling and fracking, and all the other sources are all increasing. The single largest deposits we know of are along the sea floor of the Arctic Ocean. Warm ocean currents are flowing underneath colder waters in the northern Pacific and Atlantic oceans. I am aware of methane deposits near the coastlines of the Norther Pacific that are releasing because of it. Such currents and dramatically increased exposure to the sun in the Arctic Ocean will eventually affect those gigantic stores of methane hydrate in the Arctic Ocean. Enough to kill us all could be released over a period of a few days when the warm water hits the right area.

Easily before 2050 ever gets here. Half a million? Yeah, right.

If we even make it to 2050, the death toll will definitely be in the billions. The oceans are dying and by 2050 there will not be much to harvest from there so, right now, that's at least 1 billion people... that rely on the oceans to survive. The weather is only going to get worse every year so crops will fail in ever larger areas. Fresh water aquifers are on the way towards drying up all over the world while the glacier systems are disintegrating and rivers beginning to dry up. Of course, the rivers that are still flowing are poison. Using chemistry instead of organic methods to farm is slowly ruining the soil and will eventually have large scale implications on diminishing agriculture... not to mention the poison we consume because of it. There is obviously not going to be any significant transition away from fossil fuel while the beast rules the world... so... the climate will continue to get worse which means warming.

I do not hear that much about it and I know they keep it out of the mass media... METHANE. It is releasing more and more all the time. Melting permafrost, warming ocean currents affecting seabeds, drilling and fracking, and all the other sources are all increasing. The single largest deposits we know of are along the sea floor of the Arctic Ocean. Warm ocean currents are flowing underneath colder waters in the northern Pacific and Atlantic oceans. I am aware of methane deposits near the coastlines of the Norther Pacific that are releasing because of it. Such currents and dramatically increased exposure to the sun in the Arctic Ocean will eventually affect those gigantic stores of methane hydrate in the Arctic Ocean. Enough to kill us all could be released over a period of a few days when the warm water hits the right area.

Easily before 2050 ever gets here. Half a million? Yeah, right. The population will just keep increasing. The things I just described will only increase with it. The human race refuses to evolve so it will die.

I do not hear that much about it and I know they keep it out of the mass media... METHANE. It is releasing more and more all the time. Melting permafrost, warming ocean currents affecting seabeds, drilling and fracking, and all the other sources are all increasing. The single largest deposits we know of are along the sea floor of the Arctic Ocean. Warm ocean currents are flowing underneath colder waters in the northern Pacific and Atlantic oceans. I am aware of methane deposits near the coastlines of the Northern Pacific that are releasing because of it. Such currents and dramatically increased exposure to the sun in the Arctic Ocean will eventually affect those gigantic stores of methane hydrate in the Arctic Ocean. Enough to kill us all could be released over a period of a few days when the warm water hits the right area.

Easily before 2050 ever gets here. Half a million? Yeah, right. The population will just keep increasing. Diminishing resources and continued war will probably take out more than that fairly soon. We have already killed over 2 million in the Middle east in the last 15 years. I wonder how many refugees, of the 40 million --give or take-- will die from various causes. The things I just described will only increase with the population. The human race refuses to evolve so it will die. It's a PSYCOPATH'S GARDEN.