Home | About | Donate

Climate Crisis Could Cause a Third of Plant and Animal Species to Disappear Within 50 Years: Study

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/14/climate-crisis-could-cause-third-plant-and-animal-species-disappear-within-50-years

2 Likes

Damn. Anyway we can add “Corrupt Politicians” to this list?

3 Likes

Doubtful–they breed too fast.

Damn indeed.

6 Likes

Our fresh water sources are being depleted while the deserts are increasing.
Our critters don’t have millions of years to adapt and evolve.

6 Likes

Are WE on that list?

4 Likes

The major reason I can’t fathom another 4 years of Trump and his swamp team.

1 Like

Most of our politicians and 100% of our vulture capitalist system don’t give a damn about the Natural World or Mother Earth’s creatures, except for exploitation and killing for food or “sport”. The precious gift of spiritual joy and reverence/respect for the Natural World escapes most, especially, sadly, the so-called “religious”, with some exceptions, so mired in intellectual abasement…

"If all the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to mankind. All things are connected. This we know. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the children of the Earth. Humans did not weave the Web of Life, we are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves" - wrongly attributed to Chief Seattle, actually a quote from Ted Perry, circa 1972. regardless who, the thoughts resonate with those of caring spirit.

3 Likes

Depends on the definition of "WE’. Australian Aborigines and Kalahari Bushmen eating snakes, lizards, grass hoppers and licking dew from leaves … yeah. Westerners on big macs and lattes …
nah.

what conniptions folks go thru to avoid facing the real threat to all sorts of wildlife happening even before climate change has really kicked in - it is human population growth eating up habitat and resources. Anybody ignoring that is not really serious about stopping extinction

2 Likes

And 90% within 100 years. We have initiated a new mass extinction.

1 Like

Hi BigB:

Oh, I am sure that we’re on the list—and very high up when the rich decide we’re eating too much! : )
On the other hand, humans are able to switch to eating other humans very quickly—see Donner Party, or the 1970s when the soccer team created in the Andes. Of course there’s a freaky movie, “Soylent Green,” to ruminate on too. There are also many ancient stories too about sailors and who survives in the lifeboat as the ship sinks. : (

Happy Anniversary BigB:

If you have a climate plan that ends with “by 2050”, understand that they’re all dead by 2080 because the ocean acts as a 30 year heat buffer for the planet. If your plan ends with “by 2040” then they’re mostly dead by 2070. If your plan ends with “by 2030” then at least you’re starting to get it. If your plan has a “by 2025” part then you’re starting to get it right. If your plan has an “in one year we expect to…” section then you’re finally thinking about the climate problem, and good for you.

Do say, “In one year we expect to be prototyping the following climate change innovations.” Most of what we need is going to be R&D driven and don’t you dare pretend that the R&D is going to be profits driven. Is top secret military R&D ever profits driven?

1 Like

Who needs “carbon sinks” when, as the subconscious general mentality allows us, Earth’s entire atmosphere and water systems can be and are used as our carbon dumps?

It’s undoubtedly convenient for the fossil fuel industry to have such a large portion of mainstream society simply too exhausted and preoccupied with just barely feeding and housing their families on a substandard, if not below the poverty line, income to criticize the former for the great damage it’s doing to our planet’s natural environment and therefore our health, particularly when that damage may not be immediately observable.

I believe it’s no coincidence that the first thing upon his “Progressive” Conservative Party’s election into office after a campaign won in part with a large political donation from the fossil fuel industry, Premier Doug Ford canceled government rebate incentives for electric car buyers in Ontario.

As for our supposedly environmentally concerned Canadian (now minority) Liberal government, besides pushing for the tripling of diluted bitumen flow, about a year ago it gave the dirty-energy fossil fuel sector 12X as much subsidization as they allocated towards clean renewable energy technology innovations.

To have almost everyone addicted to driving their own fossil-fuel-powered single occupant vehicle (etcetera) surely helps keep their collective mouths shut about the planet’s greatest and very profitable polluter, lest they feel like and/or be publicly deemed hypocrites.

(Frank Sterle Jr.)

3 Likes

We should be since we are the cause.

1 Like

This is a man made catastrophe & we must solve it NOW. Not 50 years from now. We do not the the luxury that is time.

1 Like

I’m assuming it is a Third of what’s left. Correct?

2 Likes

Addicted? Sure but they can stop if they really wanted to right? It isn’t just there or here in America, it’s everywhere. I think your point about your country’s canceling rebates for electric cars is telling. I look at Trump (the worst of the lot) and see the backing and support that he and other leaders on the right keep getting from powerful interests and find it hard to dismiss the thought that freedom and true democracy have lost the battle against power. It just seems that these rightist types keep gaining the control of governments though I can’t see that the populations of the various countries want that to happen. Yet it keeps happening.

I know that in this country that teaching civics to kids and teens has fallen by the wayside. A whole generation has grown up without actually knowing how their government works. Moreover, Washington is increasingly becoming a closed shop where the family members and associates of government employees get hired to fill positions many of which ordinary people have little idea even exist. Who exactly gets hired for a job whose very existence is secret?

I keep getting the feeling that things are being set up to create a permanent ‘overlordship’ style ruling class (sans titles of nobility) who will someday be the only ones who know how things work so therefore they are the only ones who are qualified to be hired to run things.

Look at this upcoming election here in America and you already have to wonder whether the results will be legitimate. Look at the legitimacy of Trump’s ‘trial’ in the Senate. Power and wealth may intensify efforts to retain control and retard change simply because they do not care. A 1/3 of species may become extinct? They just don’t care. Decent people find that hard to believe I think.

The powerful elites just don’t care.

“For my friends - everything; for my enemies - the law.”

That[s where we are Wereflea, as I see it.

JFK was taken out - Vietnam was then possible - Carter was A-OK but a mysterious thing happened in the Iran hostage debacle - Reagan was installed to salve the Vietnam debacle - Iran Contra - fast fwd to 9/11, and the twisted psychopath George W - then the poster boy of the smooth talking salesman Obama - now Trump.

Why the handwringing as the “Equal Justice Under Law” has been progressively disappeared over this long and sordid period?

The Pres can and has been using extrajudicial murder via drone and the security state as a matter of course - not to mention invading countries at will in contravention of the hard won lessons of two World Wars.

Of course Trump can do as he wishes - it’s been going on as outlined above.

One has to ask - how is that working out ?

1 Like

One would think that with all of the alpha predators feeding on people we wouldn’t have a population problem.
war
famine
disease
climate crisis
suicide
accidents
etc