Home | About | Donate

Climate Crisis Could Cause a Third of Plant and Animal Species to Disappear Within 50 Years: Study

The report is too optimistic and appear to be based on an arithmetic increase in climate change associated extinctions; however, climate change is entering exponential change.
The time to 50% loss of biodiversity is going to be less than 20 years.

4 Likes

One would think that with all of the alpha predators feeding on people we wouldn’t have a population problem.
war
famine
disease
climate crisis
suicide
accidents
etc

This article sounds overly optimistic.

4 Likes

It isn’t working out at all, which is why there is no progress on the climate crisis, the biodiversity crisis, the environmental crises …

There is no substitute for a good man (or woman).

1 Like

Too much, way too much, on legal beagleism - wherein everyone, including military officers, are expected to be constitutional experts - GIVE ME A BREAK !

No - back to basics.

They are better characterized s hyenas or vultures gandolf.

You know Old Abe said some mighty interesting things in his time, and not all about politics.

But one about politics has always stuck with me - because it displays this absolutely brilliant legal mind’s appreciation, not of the Constitution, but of the Declaration - a belief in the future:

"I have never had a feeling politically that did not spring from the sentiments embodied in the Declaration of Independence. I have often pondered over the dangers which were incurred by the men who assembled here, and framed and adopted that Declaration of Independence. I have pondered over the toils that were endured by the officers and soldiers of the army who achieved that Independence. I have often inquired of myself, what great principle or idea it was that kept this Confederacy so long together. It was not the mere matter of the separation of the Colonies from the motherland; but that sentiment in the Declaration of Independence which gave liberty, not alone to the people of this country, but, I hope, to the world, for all future time. It was that which gave promise that in due time the weight would be lifted from the shoulders of all men. This is a sentiment embodied in the Declaration of Independence."

Address in Independence Hall

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
February 22, 1861
~http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/philadel.htm

=============

Best we get back to basics gandolf

• A belief in good men and good women as the basis for morality, rather than this simplistic, lazy and glaringly & obviously misplaced faith in the Constitution and institutions, both of which are easily circumvented or captured - or both.

And easily identified. The eloquent words and ideas can be summed up in generality. PEACE.
Now, and in the future.
I must admit, I watched “The making of Woodstock” last night.
Memories of a time of lots of peace.

1 Like

For me it’s always the artists and the dreamers too.

I’ve been retreating into science as well lately - Black Holes and such, which I think of as their original designation as Dark Stars, and such. Of course a true scientist is at least half artist and dreamer by nature, practice and inclination - so it’s a type of homecoming in these troubled times.

Back to reality - if Bernie gets ousted - Bloomberg.

Reality in space. A recent choice of respites has been John Prine’s
“Lonesome friends of Science.” A good way to kick off the day.

1 Like

True !

How about this - just in at The Guardian:

Christiana Figueres on the climate emergency: ‘This is the decade and we are the generation’

• interview with Christiana Figueres, who has a new book out.

You say this decade is the most consequential in human history…
This is the decade in which, contrary to everything humanity has experienced before, we have everything in our power. We have the capital, the technology, the policies. And we have the scientific knowledge to understand that we have to half our emissions by 2030.

So we are facing the most consequential fork in the road. If we continue as now, we are going to be irreparably going down a course of constant destruction, with much human pain and biodiversity loss. Or we can choose to go in the other direction, a path of reconstruction and regeneration, and at least diminish the negative impacts of climate change to something that is manageable.

But we can only choose it this decade. Our parents did not have this choice, because they didn’t have the capital, technologies and understanding. And for our children, it will be too late. So this is the decade and we are the generation.

================

Christiana also says this:

“Whatever we hold as being possible, and whatever values and principles we live by, determine the actions that we take. Whatever we hold to be near and dear to us is what we’re willing to work toward.”

=================
On a personal note, I want to show why this is possible. This first appeared little - then on the Canadian Broadcasting Network, then The Guardian:

We remember, for all our moral injury & physical injury - who we really are:

Canada driver captures rare sighting of mother lynx and her kittens

~https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/14/canada-driver-captures-rare-sighting-mother-lynx-kittens

2 Likes

This is the main message in the movie “The Day the Earth Stood Still.”
We abused our planet, and it’s pay back time.
Ten years you say. Hmmm, perhaps the precipice is at the 8-9-10th year and we haven’t hardly budged? Do we actually have the faded opportunity to still do something, and if so, the technology to fix things?

We’ve accelerated a mass extinction that started back in the Pleistocene by none other than our ancestors. And anthropogenic climate chaos is only a part of it. Human overpopulation & overconsumption, industrial agriculture, overhunting & overfishing, & anthropogenic deforestation, ecosystem fragmentation & disintegration, pollution, marine degradation, desertification, soil erosion, poison proliferation, aquatic deterioration, etc. have all contributed to mass extinction both individually & in their synergistic effects on each other.

1 Like

That was a beautiful video.

1 Like

Strange heh - how it just catches you ~