Home | About | Donate

Climate Crisis Could Expose Half a Billion More People to Tropical Mosquito-Borne Diseases by 2050

Climate Crisis Could Expose Half a Billion More People to Tropical Mosquito-Borne Diseases by 2050

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Rising global temperatures could put half a billion more people at risk for tropical mosquito-borne diseases like chikungunya, dengue, yellow fever, and Zika by 2050, according to a new study.

This will make our current anti-vaxxer driven measles outbreak look like a mild cold.

I’m guessing Mar-a-lago will be ground zero for many of these mosquito infestations. They’re probably attracted to the kind of scum, snakes and other low-life found there. Hopefully, the Tangerine Twit will get his fair share of bites.

Karma’s real, right?

1 Like

So now we have hardly any mosquito eating frogs left to protect us. More great news from the science community.

4 Likes

Unless bacteria start keeping calendars there won’t be a 2050.

3 Likes

Well i was going to say, according to predictions, neither we or they would be around in 2050. I guess you meant the same. (Rhetorical.)

Or birds.

3 Likes

About twenty years ago the university at which I taught built a large research building for the study of emerging pathogens. At the same time, the politicians approved damn near every opportunity to burn more fossil fuel. As a survivor of West Nile Encephalitis (I was basically a flat-on-my-back vegetable for about a month), I take this personally. Quite a few of my colleagues have their stories of malaria, dengue fever and the like to tell. I worked around snakes, gators, lightning, wild boar and the poachers that hunt them, but it was a swarm of mosquitos that got me. They kill far more humans than the organisms that make for good drama.

1 Like

What with the droughts, floods, heatwaves, wildfires, sea level rise, refugees, and water wars, who’s going to notice a few mosquitoes?

Thinking about having kids? You aren’t thinking hard enough.

Cheer up! Maybe insects will be extinct before they can spread these diseases! Silence sprung.

2 Likes

Don’t worry.
Monsanto will save us with lots and lots of pesticides that will be sprayed on us and our land whether we like it our not.
Then the CDC (a joint venture of the Coca-Cola Company and the Monsanto Corporation) will say it is all for the best.

2 Likes

I am Cheered up because I know Real Cockroaches will be left on Earth long after the Fake ones are dead by ingesting the filth They created.

Trumps’ aroma attracts mosquitos, flies and rats. His refuge in Florida is a good place for him to get bit.

So mosquitoes are one pest that can do us in. I’m really more concerned about ticks causing disease and the demise of our way of warm weather activities anywhere weeds, grass, shrubs, or trees grow. About 6 years or so ago, there had been no tick activity where I reside in northern Michigan. Then, beginning in early spring, I started finding a tick or two crawling on me after a day working on my farm. Ticks were being found on my dogs. We had to keep our long haired dogs trimmed down so it was easier to find ticks, though often, any that we found were already embedded and were feasting. They were found not only on the main body, but even between the toes.

There is no limit to woodland animals that become a blood meal and transportation for these pests throughout the fields and woods. Already, there have been reports about expected tick activity throughout the US, and none of the reactions people will experience from tick bites are benign. Even short exposure time to a tick that has attached itself to me will result in an itchy reaction that might last for a week. It’s likely sooner or later, ticks that cause more than an itching reaction will appear everywhere throughout the US.

2 Likes

Moose in Maine are actually being bred to death by ticks. Lack of cold enough spells many winters to kill them. An caribou in the far northern artic are weakened by even larger mosquito and more wide spread mosquito populations

2 Likes

For some reason, moose are under more tick pressure than deer. I can’t remember my original source for this info, but for either species, the news isn’t good. Moose were reintroduced into the Michigan U P about 30 years ago, thanks to a trade between Michigan and Ontario of Turkeys. The Moose brought an organism called Brainworm that is transmitted to deer and is quite deadly to them. It seems likely that either mosquitoes or ticks could be a vector for this infection, with transmission to humans possible.

Hey there, the science community doesn’t create these conditions just points them out for those of us able to wrap our heads around them. What we do with this information is up to us. The most dangerous people on the planet are the deniers because they not only obstruct desperately needed mitigating efforts but insist on increasing the production of atmosphere poisoning energy sources.

1 Like

I beg to differ. The most destructive criminals on the planet are those most directly responsible for the very act of raping Mama: the extractivists.

Fossil fuel extraction is intolerable, that’s what Mama thinks. The crime of actually bringing geologic carbon, hundreds of millions of years old, to the surface, where it will continue wreaking havoc for millions of years, must be recognized as the one thing worse than a crime against humanity: a crime against Life itself – and prosecuted accordingly.

There may be some denial involved in the idea there’s a nice way to do this:

It isn’t nice to block the doorway, it isn’t nice to go to jail.
There are nicer ways to do it, but the nice ways always fail.
It isn’t nice, it isn’t nice. You told me once, you told me twice,
But if that is freedom’s price, I don’t mind!
–Malvina Reynolds

1 Like

As noted several times previously, if we don’t find a humane way to significantly reduce the obscenely high population of humans on Mother Earth then Mother Nature will find an inhumane way to do so for Her — and it will NOT be pretty . . .

Alaska has mosquitoes which breed in the gap between Arctic ice and the water. They used to have a huge mosquito oroblem every year when the ice opened up, until predators caught up. Much of the north has this problem, with the mosquitoes always a step ahead in spring. My New England town fostered bats because they were ready quicker. But now, with the water open most of the time, what happens?

I’m wondering if the science community has or is undertaking a study of the effect of precipitating chemicals like silver iodide on animal populations, like for instance, frogs. This would be difficult to study in the US, ha, since denial of cloud seeding is the standing practice, but other countries are more open about what they are doing.
Bats, birds, and dragonflies are also big predators.