Home | About | Donate

Climate Crisis: Now Will the Older Generation Step Up?

Climate Crisis: Now Will the Older Generation Step Up?

Andy Rowell

On Friday, the youth spoke. And they spoke loudly. In excess of a million young people skipped school and colleges and marched around the globe demanding urgent action on climate change. They did so in over a hundred countries.

1 Like

Much of the baby boomer generation consists of ivory towered “progressive” snobs who look down on most people and talk about action, but do nothing.

0 Likes

Exactly they spoke and yelled. Now what?

0 Likes

Boomer talk: Did you know how much my pension and SS checks equal? Hey, I need for Rx from my doctor. I can’t see- I need new glasses. Oh, I forgot- I can’r remember anything. Ha Ha.

0 Likes

Well my fellow Dreamers, will we step up?

For decades we have allowed ourselves to be divided by this corrupted two-party system of rule, (I really can’t call them our government, as there has been very little governing, and a lot of selective cooperation going on by the Congress to give excessively to the Military, the Corporate State, and the very wealthy, while saving a slice of the pie for themselves before, they pass on the incremental legislation to give some of us, the remaining droppings, and making us feel like they were getting us all steak dinners every night of the week.)

Our young have punted the ball to us. We must be the ones to organize the next step. They cannot do this alone. Many of them have shown that they are ready to hit the pavement for what they want.

Are you ready?

Can we organize a large enough movement, fit it into our busy lives, and include our young to present a strong front against a nation whose elected officials are mostly not with us, even if they say they are?

Since the statistic says that 95 to 97% of you, my fellow Dreamers, continue to support this two-party farce of rule, by using your votes to keep them in their jobs, how do you believe we can organize and fight our rulers to get them to be serious about taking necessary steps to address to very real emergency of Climate Change?

Please, if you are a Dreamer, and you are proud enough to admit that you are constantly finding yourself in that 95 to 97% of voters that proudly keep your Democrats or Republicans in their jobs, please offer a suggestion on how we can join our youth in organizing, the next step.

1 Like

Mealouts,

Have you tried "Medicinal Cannabis?"

I hear it’s good for your eyes. And pretty much everything else that ails you.

0 Likes

Not even remotely interested thank you. Is that what you’ve been smoking?

0 Likes

A DREAMER is usually not a practical type person- just a dreamer.

0 Likes

That was generalized sarcasm- I was not talking about myself. However, it does seem that our generation in general has these concerns and not much else. Some scattered talk about the environment- but that is about all.

0 Likes

Mealouts,

Isn’t it funny how this article, which addresses probably the greatest crisis any of us will ever experience in our lifetime, in the past 4 hours has only had 2 people comment on it?

Yep, just you and me.

1 Like

Yes, and I appreciate your comments. Also, I support required government service for all citizens, and clean up of the environment could very well be part of that.

1 Like

I like your comment about “busy lives”. Remember only one per cent of our population serves in the military. They barely get mentioned. The rest of the population is left to do whatever. I also wanted to say that many of the people here keep talking about future generations as if we need more people. When this is mentioned- they go silent. I suggest being part of a local environmental group- grass roots on up. Also, please support public ed- as Dump and Devious want to close all public schools insisting that they teach communism. They are rabidly insane, but they are also organized. Dems tend to let emotions get the better of them- that and their Wall Street buddies- they have no goals- just to cower in the corner and cry. Nancy said that a wall was “immoral” for instance. So?? Wow, that’s really threatening. Also, who is electable? I dig Bernie, but he is pushing 80, Liz Warren? Not strong enough or known enough, Biden? Come now- too insipid. It’s we the people. Best way to hurt these types like Dump is in the pocketbook.

1 Like

Unfortunately young people have no real agency when it comes to striking or protesting because it does not actually disrupt or threaten anything.
The general attitude of “older wiser heads” appears to be that they have nothing to learn from those darling kids who have no idea how “complicated the real world is”, or something along those lines.
Feinsten perfectly illustrates the positions held by your average corrupt piece of shit politician, and i suspect the average adult is not much better. Most appear to cling to their willful denial with reckless abandon, or they are counting on dying before the worst of it hits.
Unless forced to, i doubt generations responsible for this can be counted on for much of anything.

1 Like

Sad, but True Tarsus.

2 Likes