Home | About | Donate

Climate Democracy for Rural Communities

Climate Democracy for Rural Communities

Anna Claussen

In early March, farmers and rural residents of southeast Minnesota gathered for three intensive days of presentations, discussion and deliberation around the thorny issue of climate change. The Winona, Minnesota Climate Dialogue participants, most of them in shirts and jeans, were a blend of ages, cultural backgrounds and jobs. Some had lived in the community their whole lives, while others had moved to the area recently. All said they loved where they lived and cared about its natural beauty—ideally positioned where fertile farmland meets the deeply carved Mississippi River Valley.

Soil is the problem and soil could be the solution whereby enabling it to collect more carbon and beig healthy. Big Agri policies and seeding is not the solution.

Hopefully IATP is advising rural landowners to fight Obama's upcoming TTP, TTIP and TISA that will result in local owners and governments from controlling the destiny of their land and other resources.

If the sea levels rise, make that when, there will no longer be a '...divide between urban and rural...' Coastal cities will be the first to go along with the infrastructure, underwater power plants, including nuclear, and millions fleeing towards the currently 'rural.' This might be something that rural folks would find motivating. I can't tell if it's part of the IATP presentation.

"MSNBC knew about methane release from beneath the Arctic Ocean in 2007. Oddly, they seem to be ignorant about it today. And note that award-winning journalist Dahr Jamail’s reporting about methane registered at spot #6 on Project Censored’s 2014 compilation" From, Monster Climate Change Essay, by Guy McPherson...
Also, ". according to research published in the 24 November 2013 issue of Nature Geoscience The latter paper also concludes the East Siberian Arctic Shelf is venting at least 17 teragrams of the methane into the atmosphere each year, up from 0.5 teragrams just 7 years earlier (a teragram is equal to 1 million tons)"
"According to NASA’s CARVE project, these plumes were up to 150 kilometers across as of mid-July 2013. Global-average temperature is expected to rise by more than 4 C by 2030 and 10 C by 2040 based solely on methane release from the Arctic Ocean, according to Sam Carana’s research (see especially Image 24)."

Global Extinction within one Human Lifetime as a Result of a Spreading Atmospheric Arctic Methane Heat wave and Surface Firestorm

by Malcolm Light 9th February, 2012

"Although the sudden high rate Arctic methane increase at Svalbard in late 2010 data set applies to only a short time interval, similar sudden methane concentration peaks also occur at Barrow point and the effects of a major methane build-up has been observed using all the major scientific observation systems. Giant fountains/torches/plumes of methane entering the atmosphere up to 1 km across have been seen on the East Siberian Shelf. This methane eruption data is so consistent and aerially extensive that when combined with methane gas warming potentials, Permian extinction event temperatures and methane lifetime data it paints a frightening picture of the beginning of the now uncontrollable global warming induced destabilization of the subsea Arctic methane hydrates on the shelf and slope which started in late 2010. This process of methane release will accelerate exponentially, release huge quantities of methane into the atmosphere and lead to the demise of all life on earth before the middle of this century".
"By 15 December 2013, methane bubbling up from the seafloor of the Arctic Ocean had sufficient force to prevent sea ice from forming in the area. Nearly two years after his initial, oft-disparaged analysis, Malcolm Light concluded on 22 December 2013, “we have passed the methane hydrate tipping point and are now accelerating into extinction as the methane hydrate ‘Clathrate Gun’ has begun firing volleys of methane into the Arctic atmosphere.”

Oh, for got to mention, the beginning of that ... the quote.... is from Guy McPhersons "Monster Climate Change Essay"...

We cannot, put that Genie back in the bottle.

NO, we can not reverse it.... the methane alone, will do us in at this point.

Where I live, people use the money from their oil patch jobs to keep their farms and small businesses alive, and therefore keep their communities alive as well. The local school has gone from facing closure to running out of room for all the incoming students -- and may very well go back to facing closure if oil prices stay low. Any sustainable future must include rural jobs so that those who want to stay where their roots are can do so.

Great article, Anna Claussen.

As a lifelong gardener living in a conservative rural area, I have been thinking a lot about how our society will feed itself (with high-quality nutritious foods) as climate change becomes more catastrophic. Considering our population numbers and the diverse climates in the US, this is no easy question to answer, especially since we already aren't fulfilling the mission to feed the hungry, or ensure the availability of nutritious affordable food in far too many poor communities.

Where I live the growing season is short and fresh vegetables are shipped in from Mexico and points west and south. My asparagus has a huge carbon footprint. Clearly this has to stop.

I grow a lot of my green leafy vegetables (cool weather crops) in the ground so my greenhouse can provide tomatoes and peppers. But the whole operation closes down in winter because of nighttime temps. The passive solar heating system in it cannot keep up. My garden feeds my family, and our collective allows us to trade and share production from June until October, leaving us with 7 months of having to purchase fresh vegetables from afar. Most folks don't have greenhouses though, nor can they afford to build them.

And the talk among the ranchers and farmers down at the local gas station and grocery store is more often than not about the strange weather and global warming. They cannot deny what their own eyes are telling them, despite voting against their own interests every Election Day. And at the same rate they are stuck in a rut as to what they can do about it, other than vote.

I would give my eyeteeth to have one of these conversations in my community.