Home | About | Donate

Climate Emergency Activist Greta Thunberg Endorses Biden in Rare Political Tweet

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/10/climate-emergency-activist-greta-thunberg-endorses-biden-rare-political-tweet

4 Likes

Greta loves the Planet. Trump hates Greta (and all the Planet’s inhabitants). Enough said. #Biden Go Greta!

Vote Biden/Harris and then hold their feet to the Progressive Fire (pun intended)!

14 Likes

Thunberg said in a tweet that she "never engages in party politics. But the upcoming US elections is above and beyond all that”.

Love you Greta!

9 Likes

well, on a lighter note, after Biden’s done doing nothing for the environment either, there should be plenty of fire left over for lots of feet.

17 Likes

Biden’s feet are impervious to any progressive fire.

9 Likes

I pretty much agree with you but I’m in Pennsylvania so I had to vote for the Artichoke.

Peace
Po

3 Likes

I’m having a hard time trying to imagine the vote this endorsement changes or encourages. Orangeman’s covidiot minions surely won’t pay Greta Thunberg any mind. That leaves our confused left, where folks who are certain their immortal soul would be incorrigibly dipped in shit should they ever vote for a Democrat are also unlikely to listen. The rest of us are for damn sure voting against the mad dictator (in my state, I already have). Thanks anyhow!

2 Likes

Trump hates Mother Nature and animals, and has done grave damage to environmental regulations, regulatory agencies, public lands, environmental and climate science, endangered species, and the entire biosphere. Not just as president, but as a developer, he’s a rapist of Mother Earth.
Biden is a neoliberal corporate Dem and he isn’t an environmentalist, but he’s nowhere near as bad as Trump, not even close.
The real problem isn’t our politicians, it’s our species. We built our culture and grid by killing billions of other animals and their habitats and otherwise plundering and savaging the biosphere.
There’s no way to unbuild our biosphere-destroying grid while still providing for 7.5 billion humans.
That’s why we’re living in a human-caused mass extinction event, and will see a massive die-off of most if not all of the innocent organisms on this planet by the end of the century.

7 Likes

Greta has the “Look” that reminds me of Iron Eyes Cody, the environmental persona of the 1970’s with the tear drop advertisement celebrating Earth Day 1971.
Same somber countenance.

7 Likes

You’re describing the infamous weeping Indian, of course, who wasn’t even an Indian. Fifty years ago when they made that crappy old PSA, they couldn’t find any real Indians, evidently. (From wiki:)

Iron Eyes Cody (born Espera Oscar de Corti, April 3, 1904 – January 4, 1999) was an Italian-American actor. He portrayed Native Americans in Hollywood films, famously as Chief Iron Eyes in Bob Hope’s The Paleface (1948). He also played a Native American shedding a tear about litter in one of the country’s most well-known television public service announcements from the group Keep America Beautiful.

Holy Christ, what an intolerable embarrassment! Sometimes I want to hide my head under a rock, just because I grew up with such thought-pollution.

7 Likes

Second paragraph contradicts the first where you insinuate the trump’s hate the environment. Actually the they like the fact that the environment is there for them to hunt, kill, and take advantage of.

2 Likes

I know we have no choice. Do you think your vote will be counted? The coming election is looking ugly to me. Shanti.

1 Like

Just saying, Cody has the same sad face that Greta has in this photo.

Okay, but hopefully Greta’s for real. Cody is just a tragic blot on my US American conscience.

Bizarre practices of “environmentalists” fifty years ago coincide with profound racism going back to John Muir, who deeply loved Yosemite so long as it was cleansed of its original inhabitants. Today’s Sierra Club is backing away from Muir as quickly as possible – finally starting to make amends.

4 Likes

Greta knows that with a drumpf presidency, there is no chance to gain traction on the Climate Disaster that is upon us. With Biden we have a fighting chance. And in 2024 there WILL be a Progressive President elected. Hope her endorsement will move enough young people to push the blue wave into a tsunami like event.

9 Likes

Me too! My Spouse, who is Native, American told me that when she was a little girl watching an old cowboys and Indian movie on T,V. she always rooted for the Indians and was disappointed when the U.S. Calvary killed them all.

7 Likes

Carol, in your last paragraph I think you’ve touched on the real essence of the problem. It’s not just about reducing the damage and using “green” energy" but completely changing the way we live to consume less.

The film “Planet of the Humans” also demonstrates a real problem we must solve…preventing green energy from becoming another way to destroy the planet and exploiting people.

8 Likes

The question is…

do we elect Biden and fight like hell to push his administration towards saving the planet (remember the oil industry enjoyed record profits with Obama and the Gulf of Mexico was contaminated with BP oil)

or

will we have a better chance to elect a truly progressive candidate if Trump is elected, thereby radicalizing more people to the left who urge radical changes. On Jimmy Dore’s site, there’s video of Biden saying it’s IMPOSSIBLE to have zero emissions by 2030…which is what we actually need if Earth is to remain habitable.

7 Likes

Hi Aleph_Null:
Greta has a lot of followers who are close to her age, and I know they will vote for Biden----
another sad day in America, when “He’s not as bad as…” Rules the vote.

4 Likes

It may be a close race, and if the people most concerned about the climate are the ones who tip the scales in Biden’s favor he will say, “See, the fact that you all voted for me proves that you want the country to to stay the course in terms of capitalist economics and climate destruction. I mean, c’mon man, I told you I opposed a Green New Deal; I bragged about beating the guy who proposed it.”

Of course, if Trump wins, the same climate activists will be blamed for not working hard enough to elect Biden, and climate destruction will thereafter be their fault.

Talk about a Catch 22!

9 Likes