Home | About | Donate

Clinton’s Transition Team: A Corporate Presidency Foretold

Clinton’s Transition Team: A Corporate Presidency Foretold

Norman Solomon

Like other Bernie Sanders delegates in Philadelphia a few weeks ago, I kept hearing about the crucial need to close ranks behind Hillary Clinton. “Unity” was the watchword. But Clinton has reaffirmed her unity with corporate America.

"...will require Progressives to fight against her actual policy goals, every step of the way."

Twenty years ago, a loved one was in ICU after a botched operation and we were told by a Med Professional that so and so would be done to help after the patient gathered up her strength. Since the patient was on a sugar drip as her only source of nutrition, and hadn't eaten in several days, I inquired as to where this energy and strength was supposed to come from.

Politically and realistically, I ask that today.

It will come from Bernie's supporters. They should occupy Capitol Hill and the White House.

Yes, and TRULY none of this is any surprise.

Today is the 20th anniversary of Bill Clinton signing the "end of welfare as we know it" that resulted in the floodgates of corporate welfare being opened all the way, thereby shifting ever more money from the 99% to the 1%.

We should all be very pissed. The DEA delayed re-scheduling of POT. Why? Did you hear their half baked reason? I call Bull Sh!t. Just like Reagan delayed the release of the hostages, Clinton has delayed de-scheduling of POT. BUT it's gonna fail her. Schedule II is too restrictive, and we all know this. The FDA can encumber, delay and destroy business with their regulations and required trials on Sch II drugs. We need POT de-scheduled completely. Only then can we see the benefits of various hybrids of high THC\CBD for medical purposes.
Secondly, hemp needs to be legalized, period. This is a huge construction business opportunity that has been lost for decades. Hempcrete is a great construction product. High R value, rot proof and very strong. AND it's environmentally safe. But it's illegal in the USA. How fuked up is that.

Hillary takes weekends off.
Is that typical for a candidate running for president?
Hillary also took 7 of the first 14 days in August off.
Does Hillary have an illness requiring her to rest frequently?
Or does she have insider information concerning the eventual outcome of November's election?

We should run, not walk, away from the Democratic Party, and toward the Green Party for this election, to show our mass displeasure as to the Clinton candidacy. If the current polls are correct, there is no downside for us to do that, especially in what were the "swing states", which appear to be firmly for Clinton now. So, if you want progressive change, show your disgust with Hillary, and give the Green Party the 5% of the national vote they need to get regular ballot access and federal matching funds for future elections, and maybe, just maybe, a chance at the 15% poll ratings needed to get into the 2020 Presidential debates. #NeverHillary. Stein/Baraka 2016!

"I would be the last person to tell someone not to vote, but casting a vote ought to be the least of what we do." - Pete Dolack

Most of "Bernie's supporters" are "accepting reality" and "reluctantly" supporting Clinton, which many believe was the plan all along. I won't say that, because of Sanders' record, but that doesn't mean it doesn't look suspicious.

What amazes me about all this is how this handful of dedicated #neverhillary and #bernieorbust-ers who won't' support Clinton but are going to write in Bernie in protest of Hillary's coronation will not join in with those who want real progressive change and support the Green Party and Jill Stein.

I have seen every excuse in the book for not voting Green, but somehow it makes sense to write in a vote for the guy who vowed never to give up and then did just that? Sanders is now saying that we must elect the candidate who stands opposed to everything he has ever done in politics. As this article points out, everything Clinton has done since sewing up the nomination shows exactly where she is going, regardless of the rhetoric. Anyone fooled by that rhetoric, or thinks that it is sincere, or anyone who thinks that progressives can elect a Clinton and then change the direction they have chosen to take us, is naive beyond belief.

There is only one way to change this and that is to start a massive movement to the Green Party. Once they have the money and support they need, all the objections about how incompetent they are will begin to disappear. You can't mount an effective campaign even for local office with no funds to reach voters. Imagine if the $27 average donation to the Democrat Sanders had gone instead to Jill Stein. Would that have made a difference? Once the media is forced to recognize the Greens as they were forced to recognize Sanders' campaign, and Jill Stein is allowed to debate, only then will there be a real progressive awakening in this country.

Same ol' bunch of corporatist creeps.

Go Jill Go!

The words of Rep. Keilth Ellison about how "progressive" the Demo party platform was now seem pathetic and naive. Hillzilla will do whatever she wants and that will be more of the same evil. No wonder President Sparkle Pony said that Clinton will be a "continuity you can believe in". Thing is, Barry, you shameless son of a bitch, I detest this continued hypocrisy of you and the Red Queen. The people of the U.S. have been played for suckers and fools. The multi-billion dollar dog and pony show worked again and I see no reason that it won't continue into the near future. The best we can hope for now is that the "Sanders Revolution" and the Green Party will have some effect at state and local levels. That is good but the corporate whores who dominate the Democratic party are clearly still in power and will remain so. There will be no significant reform in Washington, DeCeit or on Wall Street.
What I also see is that after 4 more years of being betrayed by President Three Names there will rise another authoritarian thug even worse than Trump whose support will be fanned by the gigantic system of right-wing media that spews its crap 24/7. This fascist will be aided by a recession that seems permanent, the further decline of the Middle Class, continued loss of jobs, the attack on our very sovereignty brought about by the likely passage of the TPP, etc, etc.
Michael Moore's latest film "Where to Invade Next?" shows that there really are countries in the world that treat their citizens well and make a concerted effort to create humane societies. Tragically, the United States is not one of them. I wish I could move.

"I would be the last person to tell someone not to vote, but casting a vote ought to be the least of what we do." - Pete Dolack

Astounding, isn't it, how a politician can spend her whole life acting a certain way and then, suddenly, in one debate all that changes and people believe that she has "finally seen the light"?

It was so obvious from the beginning. They said we can't get change with a third party, we have to "work with the Democrats" to change the Democratic Party from within. We said the Democratic Party will not change, it has to be replaced. Sanders has proven what we knew from the beginning—working from within the party simply guarantees that you will fail.

If Bernie accomplished nothing else that was an important lesson to impart.

Personally, I hope there's a nice little spot in hell for Salazar. If you love the wild places and the animals struggling there to make it in our heartless world, you know that he was instrumental in the brutal roundups and slaughter of countless wild mustangs. Just another unfeeling bureaucrat to add to Hillary's birds of a feather team.

"National Coalition Calls for Emergency Halt to all Mustang Removals and Sales

Today, the government launches a new campaign to roundup and remove thousands more wild horses from the range this fall and winter, even as evidence mounts that the Interior Department, under Secretary Ken Salazar, is illegally selling wild horses for slaughter. In response to a damning investigative news report exposing the Department’s sale of captured mustangs to a known kill buyer with longtime ties to Salazar, the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign (AWHPC), a national coalition, today called for an immediate halt to all sales and removals of wild horses from the range."

http://www.wildhorsepreservation.org/media/government-caught-illegally-selling-wild-horses-slaughter-agency-launches-massive-roundup

I have already signed up with the Greens and sent a donation. I wish I could get my money back from Bernie. BTW, I think that after his talk with Hillary, Bernie was afraid of being "Wellstoned."

As a cancer survivor, due to BHO -cannabis- I totally agree with you.

No one who holds these positions should be called a Democrat or allowed to hold that team designation. After all, that means neither major party stands for anything remotely Progressive or helpful to persons at large:

“What you're seeing is complete domination by what used to be the Democratic Leadership Council. So this was a group we talked about in the past. Very, very, very right-wing on foreign policy, what they called a muscular foreign policy, which was a euphemism for invading places. And very, very tough on crime—this was that era of mass incarceration that Bill Clinton pushed, and it's when Hillary was talking about black ‘superpredators,’ this myth, this so dangerous myth.”

"Black added: “And on the economic side, they were all in favor of austerity. All in favor of privatization. Tried to do a deal with Newt Gingrich to privatize Social Security. And of course, were all in favor of things like NAFTA.”

Just as political strategists like Karl Rove and Frank Luntz teach ambitious political operatives how to use words and frames, I am sure that some entity got to the Clintons many moons ago and told them that they just had to CALL themselves Democrats, make noise about a social issue or two, and then turn the entire party in the same direction as that formerly held by the Republicans.

The "beauty" of this strategy by stealth was three-fold:

1. It would mean voters truly had no choice (but the appearance of two teams would blur that realization).

2. That Democrats (particularly the most avaricious among them, those inside the DLC) could not just compete for, but would also obtain the MOST in the way of massive financial backing (and this was guaranteed).

3. The nation's oligarchs would be pleased and policy would move in a pro-business direction. Bye, bye Democracy!

If TPP and TIPP pass, effectively, there will be no nations--that is, entities equipped with actual sovereignty--only corporate overlords who will determine what foods will be grown, who will eat, what will be taught in schools, which wars will be maintained (or begun), and who will receive peripheral assistance in everything from health care to assistance after the next floor, tornado outbreak, dust storm, heat wave, drought, or huge forest fire.

This agenda is WELL underway.