Home | About | Donate

CNN’s Industry Spin Shows Need for Independent Debates

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/02/cnns-industry-spin-shows-need-independent-debates

4 Likes

To call these duopoly beauty pageants “debates” is to strip the word of any real-world content. I think most here would agree that we need independent debates, but how to get Ds and Rs (not to mention the corporate media) to agree is a puzzler.

4 Likes

Since 1988 the “bipartisan” Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) has run the presidential debates. The League of Women Voters had run the debates since 1976, but when the League refused to knuckle under to the demands of the “two major parties” those “two major parties” formed the CPD and have run the debates since.

A few quotes from the Wikipedia article:

The Commission’s debates are sponsored by private contributions from foundations and corporations.

The Commission’s exclusion of third party candidates from the debates has been the subject of controversy and legal challenges.

After studying the election process in 1985, the bipartisan National Commission on Elections recommended “[t]urning over the sponsorship of Presidential debates to the two major parties”. The CPD was established in 1987 by the chairmen of the Democratic and Republican Parties to “take control of the Presidential debates”. The commission was staffed by members from the two parties and chaired by the heads of the Democratic and Republican parties …

The League rejected the demands and released a statement saying that it was withdrawing support for the debates because “the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter.”

5 Likes

I’d put money that CNN management coordinated with the DNC and/or the DCCC, to boost the likes of Biden and Harris, at the same time putting pressure of Warren and Sanders. It’s what they do. They’re much more comfortable with Trump than they’d be with Warren or Sanders.

9 Likes

How about having Amy Goodman ask all the questions?

6 Likes

How 'bout Amy and Cornell West and Chris Hedges and Angela Davis? I’m open to additional or other names.

5 Likes

What CNN and the others are airing are not “debates.” They are sound-bite competitions, or “gotcha” contests. Thus, all follow-up “analysis” is about performance, not content. The networks’ objectives are to achieve high ratings while funneling us all to a “choice” between Biden and Trump, either of whom will sustain and perpetuate the plutocracy that serves them so well (or, to put it another way, neither of whom will address the existential threats facing us).

9 Likes

Phyllis Bennis. Jill Stein since she’s out of the picture but damn bright.
Lol…Noam himself?? I’m laughing because these events are hardly debates!

1 Like

“Jeopardy!” for our democracy

Jake Tapper and Dana Bash must never be given the job again of moderating Presidential candidate debates.

Their inability to remain unbiased must disqualify them.

1 Like

We live in unique times. We don’t have to throw tea overboard or ride on horseback through the streets waking the neighbors about the enemy coming. The enemy is already here and we must vote Bernie 2020 !

Yes, and as Mountain Man has noted, put the whole debate back under control of the Women’s League of Voters.

The corporate control of the debate curriculum reflects the fascist nature of our government today.

1 Like

They need to be on C-Span with streaming access available to everyone.

1 Like

Even outside, the police, CNN and the DNC were keeping Sanders supporters away from supporter areas while the cameras only showed a few chosen candidate supporters. MSDNC did the same thing in Miami.

I’m not taking that bet because you are CORRECT. We already know that the major networks work with the political parties and have people working on the inside. Stories are vetted before broadcast and, in this case, I guarantee that DNC operatives worked with CNN managers to prepare for the debates.

Article from February. Both political parties work for the same people.