Home | About | Donate

CNN's Debate Fail

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/31/cnns-debate-fail

4 Likes

How many who read and support CD actually watched this travesty which is a continuation of previous debates all sponsored by MSM? I am boycotting this nonsense and reading about it after the fact, but the reality is it has to stopped now! There are huge problems facing us and this is the best we can do? It is a bad joke with the principle of corporate sponsorship of what should be an informative and honest discussion of positions devolving into how best to stifle and stop desperately needed change on any of the issues facing the mass majority of us. For a real debate we must demand a truly impartial non-corporate 3rd party sponsorship and stop accepting this total nonsense and joke - that is all it is.

15 Likes

go David !!
Why not a series of candidate interviews / discussions on c-span - without commercials.
These can easily be available on youtube, blogs, radio, printed, etc.
Need not be one on one. Could have a few candidates and a few questioneers at a time.
Mix and match. Audience cheering and booing or studio setting.

6 Likes

Jake Tapper kept repeating the same Republican talking point to virtually every single one of the candidates on stage in his question about whether or not the candidate was willing to “raise” the taxes on all Americans, if they chose to support a Medicare-For-All for a Healthcare.

I’m so glad Bernie called Tapper on it.

11 Likes

It’s difficult to host a debate with 10 debaters. With that many on stage, the debate will sacrifice substance for brevity.

As for right-wing framing, I don’t know that I agree. Debates should involve provocative, challenging questions. By asking if medicare-for-all will raise taxes, it is not difficult to say “yes, it will, but it will eliminate private insurance premiums too, so Americans will pay less and get more”.

That’s not hard and it’s true.

Beto’s said, falsely, taxes would not increase. He fell into the trap.

Sean Hannity could host the debate and good Democrats should be able to deal with the questions.

3 Likes

Bernie did very well, Cnn did not acknowledge that.

7 Likes

Put the DNC on notice: We will not support any candidate who is not a progressive–here’s the petition

http://chng.it/qGfJRXVpRs

4 Likes

It was depressing to see the debate last night. On one hand to see that these 10-20 mediocre people are the best that we have (aside from 3-4)? On the other hand, to try and follow the logic of those superficial and idiotic questions from the CNN (million dollars) paid actors. The nature and framework of these debates tell much about our non election system. Talk about undermining “democracy.” It would be a miracle if a Sanders of a Warren make it to the end, in this adversarial environment.

• List item
3 Likes

CNN = infotainment

1 Like

I did not and will not watch these debates because these debates have all the substance of a prolonged and agonizing TV commercial. Moreover, I’ve assiduously done my homework on the candidates, so I don’t need to watch them forced into a sound-byte circus. Most of all, however, I refuse to waste time watching the slew of candidates who have nothing to offer other than being against anything that threatens their cozy little status quo. Keep Bernie and Warren and dump the rest of the losers from the We are not Trump party.

3 Likes

Excellent assessment of the lopsided Debate between Cable News Corporate Puppets vs 2 Progressive Democrats and 8 Republican Lite Dim-Wits.

Very frustrating to watch the Propaganda against Medicare For All, but Bernie and Liz did a good job, within their brief allotted time, defending their Plan to cover Everyone.

3 Likes

OmG - I watched as much as I could - only in my support of Mr. Sanders. It was as horrible as the author of this article said and more. It was so bad, that I had to drink during and turn it off halfway through. I mumbled and at times yelled out loud in my room so much so that my son poked his head out of his room to chastise me (chuckles).
I articulated (while yelling out loud in my room) the very same thing about CNN’s ‘framing’ of questions that were designed to create conflict and start fights, not to enlighten would be voters. It was absolutely disgusting and I’d be just fine if the candidates all decided to never again agree to a debate on CNN.

I was so frustrated that I might need to go do a mirror check after this first cup of coffee to see if I have any bald patches from having pulled out my hair.

4 Likes

I disagree. The ‘trap’ was attempting to repeat the same line over and over about ‘raising taxes’ to ensure the viewing public fell for it. If we truly do have an electorate that can handle the responsibility of voting for their own leaders, then we should be able to have honest, intelligent debates. If, on the other hand, the majority of the voting public are imbeciles and can be easily swayed by memes and ‘gotcha’ questions at televised debates, then why are we encouraging them all to vote in the first place?
We shouldn’t sink to a new low, we should attempt to educate and raise the consciousness of the public. Otherwise we end up with freaking humpty dumpty as a president.

5 Likes

It is hard to believe that someone saw the debates in the exact same way as I did. This article made me feel not so all alone. No big fan of CNN before, I was furious nevertheless. The effort to create damaging conflict was so obvious. This should not have been conceived as a sporting event (with national coverage of the “draft”, the Star Spangled Banner and attempts to make it a slug fest). The only thing missing was fighter jets flying overhead.

5 Likes

And let me tell you what you missed-----BECAUSE YOU WON’T READ ABOUT IT TOMMOROW! Three progressives won the debate —Williamson , Bernie , and Warren------and the BIGGEST win of all was that the three progressives stuck together. The corporate gatekeepers wanted Bernie and Warren to fight-----but don’t worry both MSNBC and CNN promised they will eventually have to fight??? And some of the commentary from Williamson was right on--------and it was clear she knows she is not going to win but used her time to call out the democratic party.

11 Likes

And pretty young people in swim suits swigging “lite” beer…

2 Likes

We live in a CORPORATE MILITARY POLICE STATE! To view something like this is a breakthrough------yes the gatekeepers did their best but did not stop the voice of Sanders(Yoda) or Williamson ----and watch out for Warren-----I do think Warren will be the nominee-------its also too bad Jimmy Dore and his crew seem to be really pushing Trump----

1 Like

Of course they didn’t. “Anyone but Bernie” might as well be CNN’s motto these days.

1 Like

As long as you don’t throw anything at the screen, it’s all good. :)))

2 Likes

For me watching it through progressive Youtube channels such as Status Coup or Jamarl Thomas really made it much more bearable. And even then I could really only tolerate when Bernie and Warren were talking.

1 Like