Home | About | Donate

'Combustible' GOP Convention: Riot Police Swarm Cleveland as FBI Tells Protesters Not to Show

'Combustible' GOP Convention: Riot Police Swarm Cleveland as FBI Tells Protesters Not to Show

Nika Knight, staff writer

Authorities in Cleveland, Ohio, are adding fuel to an already "combustible" atmosphere, some activists say, as the city readies extra jail space and courtrooms and shuts down a local university to house 1,700 riot police and their weapons in preparation for demonstrations at next week's Republican Party convention.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This is America folks. Land of the shackled, home of the fearful.

"...trying to intimidate people who are speaking out against injustice."
* Always remember, in the Fourth Reich, the greatest crime is not injustice, but protesting injustice.
* Protesting injustice must be met with the full force of the law and ruthlessly stamped out, lest We the People awaken before it is too late.
;-})

"radical activists" - Um, backwards as usual!!! The "radical activist" is the one the DECENT people are coming to protest against!

Rather it looks to me like government is trying to move into a situation where our politics
become too dangerous to be carried out in the US -- and elections will eventually have
to be cancelled. That sounds like Nixon's "Huston Plan" -- coincidentally.

**Violence from demonstrators at the RNC convention is "a threat we're watching very, very **
carefully," FBI director James Comey said.

Here in the US our problems are being caused by the violence of our government and
it's policing and interference with peaceful demonstrators; it is not coming from the
demonstrators themselves. We've seen this over and again over decades now in the US.

And just as a reminder . . .

THE CHICAGO POLICE RIOT -- 1968

Chicago Police helmet and billy club circa 1968 (photographed 2012)
On August 28, 1968, around 10,000 protesters gathered in Grant Park for the demonstration. At approximately 3:30 p.m., a young man lowered the American flag that was there.[10] The police broke through the crowd and began beating the young man, while the crowd pelted the police with food, rocks, and chunks of concrete.[24] The chants of the protesters shifted from "hell no, we won't go" to "pigs are whores".[25]

Tom Hayden, one of the leaders of Students for a Democratic Society, encouraged protesters to move out of the park to ensure that if the police used tear gas on them, it would have to be done throughout the city.[26] The amount of tear gas used to suppress the protesters was so great that it eventually made its way to the Hilton Hotel, where it disturbed Hubert Humphrey while in his shower.[25] The police sprayed demonstrators and bystanders with mace and were taunted by the protesters with chants of "kill, kill, kill".[27] The police assault in front of the Hilton Hotel the evening of August 28 became the most famous image of the Chicago demonstrations of 1968. The entire event took place live under television lights for seventeen minutes with the crowd chanting, "The whole world is watching".[25]

In its report Rights in Conflict (better known as the Walker Report), the Chicago Study Team that investigated the violent clashes between police and protesters at the convention stated that the police response was characterized by "unrestrained and indiscriminate police violence on many occasions, particularly at night. That violence was made all the more shocking by the fact that it was often inflicted upon persons who had broken no law, disobeyed no order, made no threat. These included peaceful demonstrators, onlookers, and large numbers of residents who were simply passing through, or happened to live in, the areas where confrontations were occurring.[28]

https://en.wikipedia.org

pattmarty --

Our systems are set up so that whatever happens, one way or another the Elites win --
more control over the public -- cancelled elections, if necessary. More violence on
demonstrators.

"Welcome to Freedom Plaza" trumpets an elephant dancing
on a Right handed 'backwards' electric guitar. But under his breath,
"No donkeys allowed in freedumb plaza."

No need. Their robocop getup and armored cars will be enough.

"FBI and Homeland Security warn of "radical activists" ."
One question - are they worried about the activists outside the convention or the powerful, violent radicals inside the convention?

Brutal and unnecessary treatment for Stein et al.

This is off the subject but I had to post it because of all the bitter disappointment we are feeling since Bernie endorsed the witch. It's an article from William Rivers Pitt on Truthout.org. He says
" His success is ours; it is the scholarship of the possible, of what people sick of corporate politics can accomplish. He did not win, but stands victorious. Do not forget what he has done. Do not let your children forget." There is a great deal more in the article but this is what I've been trying to say. We can't turn on Bernie after all he's accomplished, which is historical in anyone's book.
The revolution lives on and so does our and Bernie's work.
Jill Stein for President.

The GOP and the NRA are missing one hell of an opportunity here. The pols are always looking for money, so why not simultaneously hold a gun show and sale? The correct demographic will be in attendance - it could be huge. Might give that massive police presence some political cover too - you know, they're there to protect the attendee's second amendment rights. Sound bizarre and surreal? This is America.

This is it folks. We have now officially reached the status of a Banana Republic. Democracy at the end of a gun barrel. Look at it as more like Honduras democracy after the Clinton coup. Complain and disappear.

I wish!

Wow! CD took my Banana Republic comment down. Could it be that any unfavorable comment about Clinton is now taboo on CD.?

Later: Thank you for restoring it.

Michael Parenti did a great speech on fascism back in 1995. It's happened more gradually in the US than it did in Germany and Italy, but it's all too obvious. All we have to do is listen to Trump. He admires Putin, Kim Jong Un, Saddam Hussein. He said China did the right thing in Tiananmen Square. And republicans are going to let him be their candidate, in the guise of following their convention rules.

I'm a student at CWRU, and to be honest everyone I've talked to initially thought that the campus was being closed to protect students from the cops, and everyone feels that the cops are to be feared far more than protests. I was really surprised that a mainstream university was willing to entertain the idea that such drastic measures as a school shutdown were required to protect students from police! But, silly me, the university's concern is actually to protect the students from getting caught up in the "violence" of anti-police protests... guess I shouldn't be surprised.

"...to shut down classes at Case Western Reserve University to house riot police..."

Just a small point but I believe the correct word to use here is "commandeered". Sometimes the proper words are important for context.

Peace
Po

They do want martial law. France was having a huge uprising and then there's a guy in a truck. All over the world we are screwed.