Home | About | Donate

'Coming to You Live From the Electoral College,' Ocasio-Cortez Explains Why System That Perpetuates Inequality Is a Scam

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/20/coming-you-live-electoral-college-ocasio-cortez-explains-why-system-perpetuates

1 Like

That would be an interesting experiment. I some states like CA or TX a lot of people don’t vote in the presidential elections cuz they are pretty much decided by the electoral college. Some presidential candidate don’t even bother campaigning in some states due to the same reason.

It’s pretty foolish to assume the total vote breakdown would be the same should we not have an electoral college.

1 Like

Hi lamonte7:

One person one vote is a real democracy. In fact in Greece, although it was only men of the free class who could vote, they did vote by handing their piece of pottery shard with their vote chic on it. In fact there was an entire hill built of vote chords that arose there. I also read one story of Lincoln and how the people voted, and they voted with a color card or in individual voice vote. So seeing is believing and to have electors nullify the Peoples vote in NO way comes close to living in a democracy!
One person, one vote and let the people choose, not the bought off electors.

4 Likes

The reason the Electoral College was important at our founding is still true today. It gives a voice to less populated states that would otherwise be ignored. You’d never see a presidential candidate in Iowa or New Hamoshure, because they wouldn’t count any more. In fact, you’d never see one in anyplace other than 8 or 10 big cities in two or three states. Great swaths of the country could safely be ignored. Killing the Electoral College kills the very essence of the American democratic republic.

2 Likes

Good points by AO-C, but she forgot fractional voting still goes on today, just a little different now, ask Shelby County TN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fob-AGgZn44

Do they have TV and internet in Iowa and New Hampshire?

1 Like

Very good reply. The fact is that very few people actually see or hear candidates by means other than MSM. The electoral college is an outdated mechanism and should be abolished.

4 Likes

“You’d never see a presidential candidate in Iowa or New Hampshire, because they wouldn’t count any more.”

Derek, great idea.
Think of it, eliminating Wyoming and the Cheneys and their 14 neighbors.

4 Likes

Kinda academic, when we’ve 6 media conglomerstes, telling us how to vote. Massa’s plantations have been replaced by multinational oligarchy, tag-team kleptocracy and theocratic Idiocracy. Kochs don’t need Kansas any more. Our opinions have been offshored. Plutocracy? There’s an app for that!

3 Likes

think about it this way. With the utterly corrupt electoral college deciding who is president a candidate could, theoretically, get about 12 votes nationwide, and win. If only one person in California, NY, Texas, Florida, PA, Virginia, NJ, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Georgia, and a couple of others, would be the only person to vote, and cast that vote for the same person, they would be POTUS, despite losing the popular vote about 65 million to 12.
That’s whats wrong with electoral college.

3 Likes

Laughable.
How pissed off do you suppose the people of big cities and populous states are when they find out that, while they cast millions of votes on Election Day, they get the same percentage representation in the US Senate as someone who votes in Wisconsin or Alaska or Idaho?
Face it, any historian will tell you that the electoral college had nothing to do with balancing out representation. It was a compromise to entice the slave states to join the Union. The creation of the Senate served the same purpose. Slave owning states feared that the bigger northern states would gang up on them and force them to give up their slaves. A third branch of government that gave them actually more power than the northern states was created, the US Senate.
To this day the US Senate and the electoral college make US the laughing stock of the worlds other democracies.

4 Likes

Yep, the slave states are mostly gone now, anyway. Right to work states, ALEC, DixieCCCrats… Corporate consensus

2 Likes

AOC is one smart and brave women.

5 Likes

You mean that my complaining about the heavier and heavier traffic is unfounded in Wisconsin? Rush hour ain’t the same as L.A., but it still sucks. And I never saw a (slave) until I was in my teens.
I’m heading out for an appointment, thus the somewhat lame comments.
Will be more awake later.

Ironic that our promotion of representative democracy is not supported by the election for the highest office in America. And a Senator from a small southern state can hold the whole country hostage meanwhile. Lots needs to be changed.

2 Likes

Thank you for keeping that front and center

1 Like

I don’t understand your reasoning that Californians and Texans don’t vote because their vote doesn’t count due to electoral college. If we did not have an electoral college they would vote? Did I miss something.

AOC is correct about the Electoral College being a scam, but I would go one step further and submit that all Presidential elections have been a scam. The American people are free to vote for the war mongering, Presidents that have been selected for them to vote for.

3 Likes

1 - Electoral College suppresses the vote. How? If I live in a “blue” or “red” state - why bother to vote? “My” state’s vote is already determined. So I don’t bother to vote - on any other measures on the ballot as well. So I essentially drop out of electoral politics.

2 - Georgia Democratic Party’s “County Unit System” was modelled on the Electoral College - urban counties got 6 votes, “town” counties got 4 and rural got 2. All a candidate needed to do was win in enough rural counties, invariably in spite of the overall popular vote.

The County Unit System was declared unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court because it violated the “fairness doctrine” in the 14th Amendment that requires States (but not the US itself) to honor “one person one vote”.

That’s right - the “fairness doctrine” in the 14th Amendment applies ONLY to the States, not the Federal Government!!!

Exactly the reason why we need an electoral college.