Home | About | Donate

Communities Against Hate: New Resource Raises Visibility of Hate Crimes

Communities Against Hate: New Resource Raises Visibility of Hate Crimes

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A new initiative aims to to address what it describes as a "disturbing spike in hate incidents across the United States" with a database and hotline to help impacted communities and document the bigotry.

Based on my experience with People Power I think it is going to accomplish a lot. The ACLU has developed a good strategy and people seem very motivated to carry it out. In smaller communities it usually only takes a few people raising an issue to get laws passed.

We know that not everyone is able to work (health, etc.) and that there aren't jobs for all. Our current treatment of our poor constitutes a hate crime. I think this generation is just grappling with trying to decide which hate crimes are acceptable to us.

Excellent point. The ACLU is a rights, legal organization dedicated to civil liberties for everyone in the US

I think what you wrote about not being able to be gainfully employed applies very much the mentally, developmentally and physically disabled too. A large percentage of these groups are either un or underemployed or working at work that is terribly beneath their capabilities. The minimum wage should be raised to $15.00 per hour in gradual increments so that it can be successfully raised and not be a burden on the employer too. TBH not sure raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour. I suspect it would be much more doable, acceptable to businesses if it was done in several steps. Just my gut feeling. There should be more job training programs too for more and better employment opportunities as well.