Home | About | Donate

Compromise Does Not Work With Our Political Opponents. When Will We Learn?

Compromise Does Not Work With Our Political Opponents. When Will We Learn?

Chelsea Manning

Barack Obama left behind hints of a progressive legacy. Unfortunately, despite his faith in our system and his positive track record on many issues over the last eight years, there have been very few permanent accomplishments.

This vulnerable legacy should remind us that what we really need is a strong and unapologetic progressive to lead us. What we need as well is a relentless grassroots movement to hold that leadership accountable.

Although I think Chelsea gives President Obama too much credit, she argues a good case. I hope a strong, uncompromising progressive leader who can excite the masses can overcome the gauntlet. Bernie came close, but was undermined and others have had worse fates. The leader Chelsea and many of us are looking for is a rare bird, and a strong leader is a necessity.

I think we will be hearing a lot from Chelsea in the future. Another strong voice in the dark.

Compromise does not work with our political opponents who call themselves "Republicans," and it also does not work with our opponents in the Democratic Party who ARE Republicans, such as the Clintons, Pelosi, Schumer, etc. Such as the "Democratic" Senators like Corey Booker who blocked Bernie's amendment to allow the reimportation of medications from Canada, to lower drug costs for Americans.

I'm very encouraged by the "Justice Democrats," https://justicedemocrats.com , who are now organizing to primary the neolib/corporate "Democrats" and replace them with progressives in 2018 and 2020. From the video linked to below:

"The Bernie Wing is taking over the Democratic Party. Why would you even try to be part of such a disgusting, corrupt, broken machine? Why not just start a third party? Because this is our best chance of winning. All of the institutional biases against third parties are so immensely strong that we're effectively handicapping ourselves if we go into it trying to do a third party. It's like taking a sledge hammer and hitting your kneecap before you start a marathon."

Thank-you for the excellent reality-based assessment of the Obama presidency. Unfortunately, you will probably face a lot of attacks here for not depicting Obama as Satan Incarnate and for your understanding of political reality in this age of incredibly popular right-wing extremism in the Republican party.

Chelsea Manning is right. President Obama had a chance to be a transformative president like FDR. Instead he was more of the same old, same old establishment Dem. People wanted substantive change benefiting the working class, poor and elderly. Instead we got crumbs and less. In fact, I blame the current president on President Obama's timidity and status quo preservation.

I am really looking forward to Chelsea's release. I hope she finds happiness and support in her changed circumstances. It appears she remains outspoken, articulate, and compassionate, despite the terrible treatment she endured at the hands of the US government. Our democracy movement needs her in leadership. She certainly qualifies, having paid her dues a hundred times over. I'm still amazed at her fight for Queer rights from behind bars--a truly exemplary human being.

W/o the Democrats, the Republicans would NOT be in control. Look for the Republicans to rehabilitate the Democrats shortly. The 2 Party system depends on each Party to 1) keep other Parties out of the races, and 2) to supply an illusion of competition between a single elite political class.
See Walter Karp's INDISPENSABLE ENEMIES for a full exposition of this collusion.

As much as I don't want to support the Democratic Party in any way, ever again, in order to turn Congress over in the midterms, we lefties are going to have to vote for Democrats. I have confidence a third party will rise but not before 2018. These campaigns began the day after the election, so progressive candidates who haven't announced are already at a financial disadvantage.

I regret the timing of the Justice Party. Had they come on the scene in the last election with Rocky Anderson as their candidate, instead of the cycle before, they might have had a chance at meteoric growth. Interesting that these Dems are calling themselves Justice Dems. Who knows, a really powerful third party could develop quickly by the left wing faction breaking free from the Democratic Party and joining in coalition with the Green Party to elect progressives up and down the ballot. I can dream can't I?

I again haul this beloved quote by Audre Lord from her 1984 publication Sister Outsider, with which Cornel West headed Ch 5 'BEYOND AFFIRMATIVE ACTIN: EQUALITY AND IDENTITY in his 1993 book Race Matters:

"Institutionalized rejection of difference is an absolute necessity for a profit economy which needs outsiders as surplus people.
As members of such an economy, we have all been programmed to respond to the differences between us with fear and loathing and to handle that difference in one of three ways: ignore it, and if that is not possible, copy it if we think it s dominant, or destroy it if we think it is subordinate.
But we have no patterns for relating across our human differences as equals. As a result, those differences have been misnamed and misused in the service of separation and confusion."

I frequent allude to ' the externalization of costs' as one of the most deeply distorting and ubiquitous aspects of western society that IS defined by predatory capitalism. Nothing is being permited but the prison of hyper-masculinity "winner" advantage born of such a spectrum of " externalizations" (read a magic wand of denial backed by deadly force) - to the point of psychotic distortions of what it means to be a human being.

Agreed. The only modification I would make is that I believe the Dems will become a perennial minority party, for just the reasons you explain. However, there will probably never again be a Dem president or a Dem majority in congress. The remaining Dem governors will probably be swept aside in the near future. With a weak and basically insignificant opposition party, we are effectively a one-party state although they will be able to point to the Dems as evidence to the contrary.

Great to see that Manning hasn't been broken by the barbaric treatment she has received and is in sound (very sound!) mind. Her comments and future inputs will be most welcome. How about this for a fantasy: after release Chelsea Manning runs for office and WINS. Maybe replace Nancy Pelosi, she of "impeachment is off the table" infamy.

Yunzer, I don't understand your defensiveness about criticism of Obama and the DNC from progressives. What I've seen over the last 8 years is Democrats I know who are pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control, pro-immigrant, etc. who have begun sounding like Republicans on almost every foreign policy issue.

If we don't criticize them, their positions become the new normal, and we will continue to slide to the right just as we did under Clinton and Obama, as we unpatriotic America-haters predicted when those corporate DNC candidates came into office. What purpose does it serve to ignore his record and sit around talking about how "cool" he is? (not implying that you did here)

chelsea! first i feel so happy that your sentence has been commuted. you should never have spent one night in prison for standing on principle and telling the truth. you, my friend, did nothing wrong! the release of the collateral murder video meant to inform we the citizens of an uncomfortable truth should have resulted in charges against the blackhawk crew. their unconscionable actions harmed the "good guy" image of the military. unfortunately, to the military mindset there no crime in murdering innocent civilians and first responders on foreign soil, the only crime is in exposing the wrongdoing to the public. you committed an act of heroism and for that i thank you! however. . .

This vulnerable legacy should remind us that what we really need is a strong and unapologetic progressive to lead us. What we need as well is a relentless grassroots movement to hold that leadership accountable.

we need to stop requiring "leaders" and return to the idea of public servants. we the people should not be as bystanders and observers. we are adults capable of knowing right from wrong. let's think about the advice from eugenge debs (my bold):

“Too long have the workers of the world waited for some Moses to lead them out of bondage. I would not lead you out if I could; for if you could be led out, you could be led back again. I would have you make up your minds there is nothing that you cannot do for yourselves.”– Eugene V. Debs

I love you Chelsea; and am so glad Obama had the good sense to pardon you! From my perspective, your pardon may be the only thing he did right! Please continue to speak your truths as we have always needed them -- now more than ever!

I am enormously impressed by Chelsea Manning's cogent, informed, and intelligent comments. She should be recognized as a true American hero for what she did for the American people.

I agree. Unfortunately, political courage ends where campaign "contributions" begin.

Online Direct Democracy

Obama began Negotiations with a Compromise because he didn't want to win those negotiations in the first place.

He put real effort into winning his regularly scheduled, White House, invitation only, Basketball Games.

Actual Progressive issues of Peace and Justice, not so much.

Well, its what got Trump elected for starters...

As a life-long Democrat, I now realize that we need a stronger Democratic team who isn't afraid to get down and dirty with the GOP. Fight fire with fire. Thought Booker was heading in that direction until he voted against Bernie's bill that would lower drug costs. Being someone who has to take 8 medications a day, we need to get rid of big pharma and any of their lackies. Booker proved himself to be one. If we want to take our government back, we need to organize better. Join grassroots orginizations, run for office ourselves if so inclined. Apparently experience is not a prerequisite to do so. If they go low, we need to go lower appearently.