Home | About | Donate

'Congrats Organizers. This Is Your Win': Grassroots Opposition Applauded as Amazon Cancels New York City HQ2

'Congrats Organizers. This Is Your Win': Grassroots Opposition Applauded as Amazon Cancels New York City HQ2

Jake Johnson, staff writer

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates...

Months of tireless organizing, campaigning, and mobilization by ordinary New Yorkers was credited with Amazon's decision on Thursday to cancel its widely condemned plan to locate a second headquarters site in Long Island City, New York.

Fantastic! Amazon is an Evil entity that destroys communities. Same goes for Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, CVS, Walgreens and other huge chains that took out local businesses. Call me old fashioned, but I’d rather pay a few more dollars and support my local Stores where they know my name. This is the way it was when I was a kid, and it was a much better way to shop. Let these Bug Box Stores die. We got along fine before they came and will be just fine when they’re gone. Let’s rebuild our communities!

12 Likes

Great news. Will NY now take the 3 billion it was to give to Bezos and now invest in the NYC subway system?

Didn’t think so…

3 Likes

This is what beginnings look like. Make no mistake, there will be blow back, but hold the administration feet to the fire.

1 Like

Then there’s Cuomo and DiBlaso who are very upset about the payola money they will not receive… Here are 2 Politicians who could give a shit about keeping local businesses alive and care more about lining their own pockets.

4 Likes

“… would have been built in exchange for billions of dollars in taxpayer-funded subsidies.” Also called corportate welfare. The notion that businesses thrive in a “free market” is false. They want and NEED handouts at every turn. Also, “free market” seems to mean they are free to do whatever the heck they want with no consequences or ramifications.

Congrats to Long Island City for standing up to these moochers!

7 Likes

“… which would have been built in exchange for billions of dollars in taxpayer-funded subsidies.”

First, let me say I applaud NY’ers for not falling for this nonsense! At what point do WE as citizens start cutting these billionaires off of the taxpayers teet as they continue to want more “subsidies & tax breaks” in the name of “jobs” that are mostly low wage enough that the people actually need food stamps?!?

That whole argument about “jobs” is just another form of “trickle down” - that pees on working Americans as those “job creators” don’t create and still suck on the taxpayers teet!

6 Likes

The last paragraph should be pointed out to all NY voters, especially the ones who are still saying, “Yay! Democrats are the good guys!”

1 Like

The common misconception is that NY has $3 billion and would have cut check to AMZN when it moved in.

Reality is that most of the $3 billion would have been tax credits for AMZN had it complied with its promise to create 25k jobs. In the long run, apparently, NY lost about $27 billion in revenue over the next 25 years.

3 Likes

Maybe they could pay Detroit to take them.

What’s the matter Amazon? You don’t want to stand on your own two feet, like the rest of us real Americans.

1 Like

Amazon is not defeated, they will just take their jobs to Tennessee or elsewhere where they will pay even less, their employees will drive and pollute more. “Defeated” has to include New York construction workers, New York small businesses that hoped to get new customers, and those waiting for something good to come from the taxes Amazon and its employees were going to pay.

I’ll concede the part about employees, but don’t you understand that the deal was going to allow Bezos to AVOID paying taxes??? This is a form of corporate extortion which, many of us hope, will soon go the way of poll taxes and whalebone corsets.

This article addresses your post: