Home | About | Donate

Congress, End America's Role in Saudi Arabia's War in Yemen

Congress, End America's Role in Saudi Arabia's War in Yemen

Lawrence Wilkerson, Gareth Porter

It’s time to break with such destabilizing policies that threaten fundamental U.S. security interests.

I liked the article, but not the choice for subtitle. Instead of:

It’s time to break with such destabilizing policies that threaten fundamental U.S. security interests.

I’d prefer:

It’s time to break with supporting illegal wars (ours or our allies) whether or not we think it will improve U.S. security interests (which no war since WWII has).

I agreed with everything in this article and it sickens me that we have been involved for as long as we have. I already liked Ro Khanna and the fact that he is on the right side of this issue (and many others) gives me some hope for Justice Democrats (Ro was the first sitting congress member to join). I also always enjoy listening to Lawrence Wilkerson on the Real News Network (though I still don’t quite understand if he pulled out all the stops to get some sanity into Colin Powell before the Iraq War - if Powell thought like Wilkerson does now, he would have resigned from the cabinet before going along with, let alone promoting, that illegal war).

So where do we go from here? I will try to get my rep (Ted Lieu) to support this. Any way Trump can be convinced by framing it as an Obama mistake that he can fix? Are we really afraid of Saudi Arabia in terms of what they’d do if we pull out? The world is a very different place since 1973 - oil is now a world market commodity and they can’t exert the leverage they could back then (I don’t think they even sell us any now).