Home | About | Donate

Congress Is Trying to Use the Spending Bill to Criminalize Boycotts of Israel and Other Countries

Congress Is Trying to Use the Spending Bill to Criminalize Boycotts of Israel and Other Countries

Kate Ruane

According to recent reports, congressional leaders from both sides of the aisle are planning to sneak a bill criminalizing politically motivated boycotts of Israel into the end-of-the-year omnibus spending bill.

How about we pass a law that criminalizes any act against the Bill of Rights. As a congress member, if you promote, sponsor, or vote for any law that is clearly unconstitutional towards the first ten amendments would be a felony, and automatic removal from congress. Dam, I keep thinking we live in a Democratic Republic, never mind.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea. Here’s another one: how about we pass a law that criminalizes attaching any such irrelevant “riders” on “must-pass” budget bills?

3 Likes

What I don’t understand is how so many dupes get their panties in a bunch about Russian back channel influencing of American politics, when Israel does it in plain sight.

And how the hell could this law work? Is the government going to force me to buy Israeli products? I’ll spend my hard-earned dollars where I damn well please, and I’ll try like hell to BDS.

2 Likes

I think it’s intended to shut people up by waging a war of legal attrition against their organizations, churches etc. The well-heeled Ziofascists are odds-on favorites to last longer than the principled but penniless, and constitutional v. unconstitutional be damned. Even if they lose—which isn’t guaranteed!—they win.

2 Likes

Nice, I didn’t think about that angle.

In Oregon, we have State laws that require that any bill past by the legislature must have only a “single subject”. This law was passed ages ago to stop the legislature from “log rolling” and sticking stuff in a law that is unrelated to the subject of the law. This single subject rule also applies to citizens initiatives that are put to a vote of the people.

It makes perfectly logical sense to apply a single subject law to federal legislation as well. Maybe even a constitutional amendment.

Just a thought…

4 Likes

I was in a Mid-Eastern grocery store and found some food items from Syria. I bought them.