Home | About | Donate

Congress: Stop Funding Duterte

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/03/congress-stop-funding-duterte

The USA is consistent the world over. Where there is a choice between support of democracy or support of a fascist regime, the USA will always choose the latter.

American aide in the Philippines is used to murder Filipinos. And the Filipinos themselves don’t seem to care.

I just spent the last 4 months in Philippines, Duterte is widely supported by the Filipinos. The vote buying takes place at a much lower level in the barangays. I saw no evidence of US military aid propping up the military. I did see evidence of donated Chinese police motorcycles near the US embassy being utilized to protect the embassy. There are a lot of countries that are providing aid to Philippines and a lot of foreign nationals who continue to exploit the cheap labor there. Then of course there is the ever present Catholic church doing their part to keep the social ills alive and well. If Duterte has thugs running around the country and killing 27,000 people so far, he and his thugs are doing an excellent job of being invisible while doing it. To me and what I have witnessed, this article is nothing more than opposition lies and propaganda.