Home | About | Donate

Congress Urged to Enact 'Emergency Charity Stimulus' to Unlock Profits of the Rich to Serve Common Good

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/02/congress-urged-enact-emergency-charity-stimulus-unlock-profits-rich-serve-common

2 Likes

Rather than asking how individual Americans can guarantee the basic sustenance of 10s of millions of suffering Americans, we should be questioning an economic system that only halts misery and starvation if it is profitable. Rather than solely creating an individualized “culture of giving,” we should be challenging capitalism’s institutionalized taking.

6 Likes

what a swell idea. everyone knows the rich are the biggest misers when it comes to charity for the poor specifically. just tax the bloody cretins to death finally. please.

as West once said, “charity is fine. I like charity. But charity isn’t justice.”

6 Likes

Remember, that cadre of billionaires and trillionaires that owns most of the earth are just playing a game, competing with each other (as in, “He who dies with the most toys wins!”). They would rather see the world destroyed than be forced to share a dime with a starving family.
;-})

7 Likes

How is it that a nation so wealthy, a nation awash with money, a nation with
the highest disparities of wealth ever seen…can let its bottom half continually and
increasingly endure such unnecessary levels of anxiety and deprivation?

It surely must be by design.

7 Likes

You’re right. Money just happens to be the prize at the moment. Some of us grew out of this when we quit playing marbles. Some of us later on with competition games and sports. Some still play today with high finance and investment.
Yes , my toys are better than your toys is prevalent in America.

3 Likes

The bigger question is, why would Mitch McConnell agree to do a thing? He hasn’t moved on the voting rights act update the House passed, he hasn’t moved on the unemployment extension the House passed, and he hasn’t done a thing about the guy who is supposed to oversee the USPS who is on his Leadership PAC.

4 Likes

I’m not sure we need an “Emergency Charity Stimulus” so much as we need what we had back in the 70’s–a “Winfall Profits Tax” and a surcharge on high income taxpayers. That would be for starters.

6 Likes

They have no conscience and rationalize ( like many of my Bible Trumping relatives) that the poor are poor and starving because: " THEY ARE LAZY; THEY ARE DRUGGIES; THEY DO NOT APPRECIATE AMERICA; THEY ARE JUST DUMB"; AD NAUSEUM! One even has on his wall: " IF YOU ARE SO SMART…WHY AIN’T YOU RICH".

2 Likes

John Kenneth Galbraith wrote a book and called us “The Affluent Society”.

Per Molander (The Anatomy of Inequality) and Thomas Piketty (Capital in the Twenty-First Century) and many others have shown that in this game of ‘money’, the end result is more or less guaranteed - ‘money’ in the hands of the few. A zero sum game in other words, with positive feedback loops.

That is why I thought we had governments - to prevent this - it says so right in the Declaration of Independence.

Money must be redistributed to the losers for the game to continue.

Trouble is - it’s infantile to regard life as a game.

I think collapse is here nighthawk. If so, we must still marshal all skill and think of the aftermath.

3 Likes

McConnell hasn’t moved on the USPS issue because the chairman of the USPS Board of Governors is the head of his and Trump’s super PAC’s.

(h)ttps://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/9/1/1974084/-USPS-Board-chairman-is-also-a-director-of-Super-PACs-for-both-McConnell-and-Trump

4 Likes

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philisophy; that is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
---------John Kenneth Galbraith

4 Likes

Meant to say “philosophy”. I read and think somewhat better than I type.

1 Like

That’s what I was alluding to, thanks.

1 Like

I corrected him at the time. I said, “Considering what flows down from the rich, we should be called ‘The Effluent Society.’”
;-})

2 Likes

We must eat cake, and like it.

Then there is “The End of Affluence” by Paul Ehrlich.

I’ve always liked the pilot Antoine de Saint Exupery’s idea:

**“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
@gandolf

1 Like

I read Wind, Sand and Stars many times. One of my favorites was when he was flying the mail across Africa. He had a minor engine problem and glided onto a flat, inaccessible mesa. He got out to stretch his legs and noticed that the top of the mesa had many small pebbles on it. He examined a couple of them and concluded that these were tiny meteorites that had lain there for perhaps millennia. He wrote a beautiful meditation on that. I’ve often thought that that might have been his inspiration for The Little Prince. We could certainly use a Saint Exupery today, couldn’t we.
;-})

2 Likes

Yes, I think so too - both the inspiration for The Little Prince and that we could benefit from the pilot himself being here minitrue.

But you know, maybe he is in a way - you and I remember him, and I am sure, many others.

3 Likes

It is “absolutely” by design.

2 Likes