Home | About | Donate

Congressional Hearings Should Reflect That Flint Is Not Fixed

Congressional Hearings Should Reflect That Flint Is Not Fixed

Henry Henderson

This week the US House Committee on Oversight and Reform is holding two hearings on the mess in Michigan.

Truly serving the public is a Sisyphus-writ-large endeavor.

(...) Meeting with our clients and litigation partners. And talking with the advocates who have been filling the massive (sic - this is an adjective?) left by the city, state and Feds. (...)

Curious editing that leaves "massive" a virtual noun in the sentence. In the spirit of reflecting the intent of the article to convey the scale and scope of the reality in Flint, I immediately found myself thinking of the noun form of the homonym - a 'MASSIF'.

As though the perverse ideology behind the "emergency manager" followup by corporate greed off-shoring 'production' and buying political blocs in the communities and states abandoned is somehow legitimate. Today 'production' by the corporations engaged in these practices means little more than amassment of corporate wealth by predatory means, not to mention taxpayer subsidy. A lifeless shell replaces legitimate governance, a hardened 'massif' devoid of the original breadth of life from which those corporate pirates first imposed their particular forms of thievery.

The Flint water crisis is only the tip of the iceberg in a city being destroyed by Governor Snyder and trade deals. In the mid 70's about 72,000 GM employees had jobs in Flint. Think of the supporting businesses that vanished at the same time. Flint's problems were compared by Sanders as worse than some third world countries. Water is a basic need for humans to exist. Without jobs, a community shrinks and it's vitality is diminished. A news commentator recently stated that Flint's problems and challenges must receive a priority on the list of USA cities on the brink of disaster. Yes, the water 'problem' in Flint must receive immediate action. The State of Michigan is doing studies that take time away from what is already known, i.e. that the water is poison and solutions to fixing the problem are known. Meanwhile, Flint's water problems remain unsolved, except for the support of thousands who are bringing water to Flint and the Mayor's determination to fix the problem without State of Michigan or Federal assistance. Money is being allocated, but the pipeline is clogged. The travesty demands swift and immediate action.

I hope this debacle will put an end to any further appointments of city managers who are NOT elected by The People. Cost-cutting based on immoral principles tends to prove far more costly than ever anticipated: Flint is a case in point.