Home | About | Donate

Consumer Coalition Calls on Trump Administration to Mandate Mask-Wearing for All Airline Travel

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/01/consumer-coalition-calls-trump-administration-mandate-mask-wearing-all-airline

As much as I support Public Citizen, I urge them to study the science. A major May 2020 study for the CDC did NOT find that masks prevented virus spread. In fact 75 of 80 studies that RFK Jr found also did not support masks to be effective, including the more robust random controlled trial studies. Viruses are far smaller than any (even N95) mask filtration, and large droplets are not even blocked that well, as if that would prevent spread anyway. Currently we have a progressive left that is largely ignorant of immunology, the history and peer reviewed studies of vaccinations, flu outbreaks and basic epidemiology. Just take Fauci’s word for it, who worked with Reagan to put into place blanket immunity from liability for the serial felon pharmaceuticals? RFK Jr is routinely ignored and labeled simply as “anti-vax” which is far from the truth. We need to look deeper than 1/2" of these issues as any thoughtful person should with any such topics, rather than listening to Bill Gates, the pseudo-military CDC, WHO, and industry captured FDA and HHS. If we do not all wake up soon we will certainly wish we had. D. Trump is not the only major threat. RFK Jr has a robust database of information, fully sourced with peer reviewed science, thoughtful analysis and in-depth research. I recommend it as a place to start, childrenshealthdefense. org .

1 Like

Federal governments’ subservience to all things big money is reflected in their respective regulators’ passiveness in allowing airline corporations to make the life-risking decision to end their passenger seating distancing measures.
It’s yet further proof that big business basically calls the consumer-health shots, when it should be our non-lobbied elected officials.
When the COVID-19 crisis began, the most influential voice to have the ear of Canada’s government, for example, likely were the largest corporations, particularly the airlines; the result was resistance against an immediate halt in international commerce, including overseas flights, weeks of delay that may have translated into many Canadian COVID-19 deaths.
I believe similar governmental behavior toward national airlines was evident in the U.S. and Britain.
Those doubting the powerful persuasion of huge business interests need to consider how governing officials can feel crippled by implicit or explicit corporate threats to transfer or eliminate jobs and capital investment, thus economic stability.
(PM Justin Trudeau’s recent reputation-damaging experience with SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. is one scandalized example. How many more are there about which we’ll never learn?)
Also concerning is that corporate representatives actually write bills for our governing representatives to vote for and have implemented, typically word for word (supposedly to save the elected officials their time).
A common government refrain prevails, that best business practices are best decided by business itself. Yet this was proven false by, as a most consequential example, Boeing’s decision to delay the grounding of its ill-fated 737 Max planes, regardless of indicators, including employee warnings, they should be grounded and serious software glitches corrected.

2 Likes

~https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

~https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html

The act of wearing a mask is not done on its own. It used in conjunction with other measures. Added to that it not so much about preventing the virus already in the air getting IN as it to percent it from getting into the air in the first place.

The first link shows that on mandating masks the rate of community spread of COVID19 in fact dropped.

It is not so much about stopping all infections (which masks will not do) as it is about lowering the rate of that infection spread . (when used in conjunction with hand washing, social distancing and the like all act together to cut down the risk.)

A person can wear a mask and still get infected. A person can socially distance and still get infected. A person can wash their hands and still get infected but none of this means none of those measures work.

2 Likes

Hi Commentariaan:
I wear a mask when I go out, and it is 3 layers of cotton but a real pain to breathe through. These cotton masks certainly work better than any paper ones. Plus social distancing also works----although I am wondering about Trump----could he be the one that is poisoning his own White House as he won’t wear a mask?
Although truthiness is a problem as the FDA under Trump has failed—and I seriously think nothing will change unless Trump’s kids all get it----other than that, there are no tests where I live and I am wondering if Trump has made recent investments into funeral homes. : )
Maybe Trump doesn’t know this but after the plagues of the Middle Ages, when so many died-----ironically wages only rose for the poor then----when it was a workers market----we seem to be heading that way.

Mask wearing is of course a no-brainer.

Having the Airlines even operating is just shuttling the virus to all the major cities.

What’s more important?

Killing the virus by stopping the spread, or, moving people from place to place in an aluminum tube endangering everyone on board and everyone they come in contact with after risking infection?

1 Like

Depends on how much one is in love with money.

2 Likes

“…must be mandated by enforceable federal regulations that apply to all airlines and airports,” said Dr. Michael Carome, director of Public Citizen’s Health Research Group."

I can see the reason behind mandating a mask on a 3 - 4 hour-ish flight. When I did take a 4 - 5 hour flight at the beginning of February, I wore one and skipped the meal. But, the call is for all flights and I am not sure it makes sense for vastly longer times. Living where I do, travel to most places I would want to go to takes a minimum of 9 - 13 hours, (Doha or Frankfurt). Perhaps Carome meant all US domestic flights and not US based flights to distant locations? But US airline requirements become mandatory for US carriers no matter where, as was the case for non-smoking flights.

Americans are used to overreaching, even, or especially when it’s for one’s own good, but is this maybe a bit too far?

And I forgot to mention that the type of mask matters. Surgical masks and N-95-type masks are incompatible as they act in a reverse manner and the N95 wearer would put al the others at risk. If this is passed, then only surgical-type masks should be allowed.

I guess this was not the plane with the seven trump supporters and the rest being thugs wearing military gear.
I believe if that were a real story, the men in black would be trump supporting loonies.