Home | About | Donate

Consumer Groups Petition 16 Fast Food Chains to Reduce Antibiotic Use; Burger King’s Announcement Doesn’t Cut the Mustard

Consumer Groups Petition 16 Fast Food Chains to Reduce Antibiotic Use; Burger King’s Announcement Doesn’t Cut the Mustard

Center for Food Safety

WASHINGTON - Consumer health and food safety groups today delivered petitions signed by more than 125,000 people to the CEOs of 16 fast food restaurants, calling on them to stop the unnecessary use of antibiotics in their meat and poultry supply. Medical experts agree that the overuse of antibiotics in livestock poses a major public health threat by increasing the spread of deadly drug-resistant bacteria, yet 2015 data from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) shows that the use of antibiotics in agriculture continues to rise.

###

I think that should say "Cut the muster," not mustard. That usage has crept into the language but it's incorrect even if you like mustard on your burger! I don't eat burgers anymore, either. It's all plant based for me and that way I can totally avoid the bacteria in meat.