Home | About | Donate

Corporate Media Are Here to Warn You: Medicare for All Is a Very Bad Idea

Corporate Media Are Here to Warn You: Medicare for All Is a Very Bad Idea

Alan MacLeod

The race for the Democratic presidential nomination is heating up, and healthcare is a key issue up for debate. A number of high-profile candidates, including Kamala Harris, Tulsi Gabbard and Elizabeth Warren, have endorsed a Medicare for All solution to America’s healthcare problem. However, the idea is most closely associated with Sen. Bernie Sanders, who has made it a central platform of his election bid

1 Like

Single payer healthcare is now on the national agenda. Physicians for a National Health Program says that we need it. In the 1930s Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis said that the states are the laboratories of democracy. It is necessary to obtain publicly funded healthcare in a state or two to assure politicians that embracing it is not political suicide, and it must be shown that it works and will save money, and it will.
About 18 years ago, a small number of persons formed the Single Payer Action Network of Ohio (SPANOhio.org), a quest for publicly funded healthcare for the state. The governing Council, comprised of about 50 persons around the state, meets every three months in Columbus. Between meetings, the business is conducted by a seven- person Executive Committee that does it’s work by email.
The Ohio Health Security Act is now before the Ohio House and also the Senate and have many sponsors, so far only Democrats. (Click on Legislation on SPAN’s web site for details). They are now soliciting funds to get it on the ballot in 2020. They are both 501C(3) as well as 501C(4) recipients

1 Like

So this study is out there to shore up right-wing support for, for private insurance rather than government run. I think that those on the left have known the truth about healthcare VS private insurance companies for quite some time. The capitalists are always there to suck the life out of consumers for profit. Nothing humanitarian about them.

1 Like

As Medicare for all gains traction we will see a very powerful well funded attack from both sides against our health. We won’t give up!! I wrote a big screed on Quora today for MFA. I am well armed with examples of socialized corporations yet Americans are screwed by sky high name brand prices. We fund the research and get screwed when makers charge us for high profits. Most big makers spend less than 10% of revenue on research. Taxpayers have funded all the top 12 name brand drugs over the last decade or two. I need a drug that costs almost a $100 thousand for a course of treatment. Taxpayers funded the research and development 100% for that drug.(the one for hep-C) Screw them. I’m tired, Peace, The Ol’ Hippy

3 Likes

The media is using propaganda to preserve the massive profit stream of their health insurance allies.

It is clear that the US media is biased and one sided on every issue. This was the purpose of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 that Bill Clinton betrayed us with (among other things).

2 Likes

Yup, we need to see corporate media for what they are: propagandists for the ruling class.

2 Likes

Goebbels would be green with envy, but proud, to see how today’s corporations, their media and politicians have refined his pioneering work in modern propaganda.

Had to put my 2 cents in on this. I am in the insurance business and Insurance 101 says the best way to mitigate risk is by having a large pool of insureds. What is the largest pool ? the 300 plus million citizens of all ages and health status. Currently insurance companies carve it up several ways ie geography, age, claims experience etc.etc. The other point no one ever talks about, the premium paid for the dollar at risk.
Example Home owners is probably around $1500 @ yr for a $250K house,
Car coverage is about $1000 @yr for a $50,000 car,
you can insure your life $500,000 for a 40 something non smoker is less than 1,200
So how can it be to health insure a family of 4 (Mom,Dad and 2 kids) over $18,000 a year ?

These Insurance company fools used Obama as their scapegoat to jack up premiums to the moon and now they have priced themselves right out of any sane argument to continue private insurance. Their other ploy for years was most people could only get health coverage through employment by group coverage (there’s that pool too ) . If private insurance continues, let the companies bid to medicare to cover parts of the pool, but the days of raping individual citizens of a basic human right are over !

And for one reason only - Bernie

A Reminder:

Health Insurance companies make their profits by DENYING Healthcare, NOT by providing Healthcare

The original, and only DEATH PANELS, are run by Insurance Corporations

Bill Clinton betrayed the American People in so many ways. He is the epitome his generation’s, Corporate Whore