Home | About | Donate

Corporate Media Ignores How Privatization of US Hospitals Explains Lack of Beds, Ventilators

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/03/30/corporate-media-ignores-how-privatization-us-hospitals-explains-lack-beds

3 Likes

The C-19 vaccine can be free to every USA person, period.
Citizen, visitor, even boomers!!
Polio vaccines were about free 60 years ago

Just in time for quantity of beds and staff are OK. A few years ago, Detroit laid off 14,000 medical. I asked if they could move and continue their careers. I was told no, they are out of medical. I took this as those fired were not contributing enough. But plenty of contract workers come in replacing former employees.
Ingalls hospital laid off 58 nurses in March a few years ago and had a hiring bazaar for nurses the following October.

We can have decentralized storage of cots, bandages, partitions (only one photo on internet or news has these between cots in convention center convert to medical), food, tents, surgery rooms, May be wise if this is under governors / national guard authority.

The hospital building itself should be evaluated for its useful life. Perhaps go to factory built modules that are placed side by side and atop each other for many stories up. Fast construction on site. Easy to disassemble with cranes and forkilifts. Get scrapped or refurbished.

Designs have to be improved for quick, complete cleaning for everything from operating rooms, rest rooms, kitchen, laundry. Architects are giving us atriums, showing off splendor and wealth. Hmmm.

1 Like

Excellent article!!!

I notice this too several years ago, patients lined hallways in the ER while a good deal of capacity was closed off from use. This also contributed to very long wait times in the ER. Even critical care will move someone to observation while waiting for admission that can take hours and may or may not be covered by insurance. It is such a racket.

3 Likes
  1. Countries with fully nationalized healthcare also have a shortage of beds and ventilators. There’s no magic source of them - they still need to be paid for. If there are lots of unused beds in a nationalized system, people will start pressuring politicians to reduce hospital funding to reduce people’s taxes.

2. The shortage is in ICU beds rather than regular hospital beds, and per population the US has the highest number of those in the world.

(you can check the numbers on wikipedia,- countries by hospital beds)

1. The Trump Administration had time to build up supplies of ventilators before the crisis hit and ignored the problem
3 Likes

Very true, however every system is suppose to have a plan on how to deal with events like this. I had to update some of these annually and never actually had to implement one. I was always very glad because it was difficult enough to get the basics right knowing it was a trade off for more emergent needs.

1 Like

“Beds in short are subject to the same just in time principles that govern any other supply chain in the modern market economy. Applying just in time metrics to all key resources purportedly maximizes efficiency.”

When I first saw a report that ventilators, et al, were in very short supply, I immediately realized that it was doubtless due to “just in time” supply policies. Of course, in the clamor for profits above all else, why would a hospital buy supplies they don’t need right now? We are capitalist, and the free markets will take care of us should the need arise, won’t they?

Except that every other company in the system is also on the “just in time” model, and so when the “time” is now, all of them are scrambling at the same time to pressure their suppliers into handling their orders first, subsequently, no one is adequately served. Add to that a completely corrupt government and well, here we are.

What’s happening is a perfect example of why capitalism, a two-class feudal system, is wholly inadequate when forced to deal with this kind of global emergency.

Because Jonas Sauk refused to patent the vaccine and made it available to anyone. He was a humanitarian. Today’s pharmaceuticals see your suffering, misery and death as a path to wealth and power.

Sick and want relief? Sure, we’re here to help and the price is commensurate with just how desperate you are to get well.

Welcome to Capitalism.