Home | About | Donate

Corporate Media Setting Up Iran as New 'Threat' That Must Be Confronted

Corporate Media Setting Up Iran as New 'Threat' That Must Be Confronted

Janine Jackson

The Washington Post editorial’s headline had the U.S. “drifting” toward war with Iran—another example, as analyst Nima Shirazi quipped, of the “world’s superpower somehow having no agency over its own imperialism.”

2 Likes

It is obvious to most of the world, and to a few of us, which country is the “rogue state”; (Hint: It’s not Iran).

12 Likes

War sells newspapers: Film at 11…

2 Likes

Folks used to hope that Trump’s advisers would rein in his warmongering. Now they’re hoping Trump reins in his warmongering advisers.

4 Likes

We will never get out of this death spiral re-electing Status Quo Corporate Neo-liberal Centrists. The Tent is too damn big.

From 10 years ago:

" You can complain and object to all sorts of things, but at the end of the day politicians know that you’re going to give them your undying and unconditional support because the other side is just mildly worse, what you’re doing is you’re insuring that you’ll be ignored "
Glenn Greenwald

And one more:

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

• Frederick Douglass
6 Likes

Only the most insane like Bolton and the other chicken hawks in the Trump administration, would advocate for sending “120,000 American troops to attack Iran” because Iran is not Iraq and is a much more powerful country militarily, with a million man army well supplied with missiles among other armaments. This could trigger a world war three, but lets hope cooler heads will prevail.

3 Likes

There are no adults in THAT room.
Just emotionally disturbed children

3 Likes

Nuclear weapons are another red herring and a bogus excuse just like the WMD’S in Iraq! The real nuclear weapon that scares the hell out them, is Iran’s oil bourse.

1 Like

Thank you Janine Jackson! As people will recall, the US had a decent peace movement during the W years, but as soon as the “quadrennial electoral extravaganza” started in the run up to 2008, and then when Obama was elected, the peace movement evaporated. The Democrats and their propagandists in the media have been doing great work at keeping the peace movement in disarray. It looks like the Resistance TM doesn’t feel like they need to resist Trump and the GOP when they plan on killing thousands of people, just when Trump makes another stupid tweet.

6 Likes

Iran has invaded seven countries in the last seven years, and bombed 34 countries since 1945, when it utterly destroyed two cities by dropping nuclear bombs on them. In the last year alone Iran sent Special Forces on missions in 120 countries and you know they weren’t peace-making missions! Iran is dangerous!

No, wait. That was us.

Robert Fisk says that when a reporter quotes “officials” or says “senior officials say,” rather than using the name of the person, then it’s just stenography for government propaganda. So when you see “officials,” substitute “lying sacks of sh*t” and the report will be much more accurate.

11 Likes

The peace movement evaporated when 15 million people marched against the Iraq war, and no attention was paid. So, that didn’t work. What now?

4 Likes

National Security Advisor, John Bolton is a monster. Security isn’t his desire or he’d try diplomacy and use war as the last measure and only if we here at home were attacked first. He represents the pathology of our govt. How’s the war in Iraq going, by the way? Or Afghanistan? No, hmmm. He must be stopped. The corporate(MSM) media never saw a war they didn’t like, it’s good for business. It sells newspapers and ads on TV. CNN cut their teeth on Gulf War I where Bush I declared, “what we say, goes”, on NBC TV in July of ‘91. So they want war. The W Post and NY Times wants war. they all do. We the Americans, the ones that die, don’t. We want peace. I don’t want to see any more boxes draped in American Flags on the tarmac. I don’t want to see loved ones crying over dead bodies from neither side. Give war a rest. Peace, The Ol’ Hippy

2 Likes

How about 75 million? Or a 150 million? How about every worker in America on a specific day to have a sit-down strike? I’ll even go out with my portable oxygen and cane for this moment in history!! Get busy, everybody!!

1 Like

You made me look up bourse!! Thanx!

That’s just factually wrong. This was the first time in world history that a massive worlwide protest was organized before a “war” (it wasn’t a war, btw, it was very one-sided; it was straight up imperialist aggression.) The peace movement of which I was an active particpant continued right up until the time I indicated above.

Here the abstract from a sociological study focused on the US peace movement:

THE PARTISAN DYNAMICS OF CONTENTION: DEMOBILIZATION
OF THE ANTIWAR MOVEMENT IN THE UNITED STATES, 2007-2009*
by Michael T. Heaney and Fabio Rojas

“Changes in threats perceived by activists, partisan identification, and coalition brokerage are
three mechanisms that help to explain the demobilization of the antiwar movement in the
United States from 2007 to 2009. Drawing upon 5,398 surveys of demonstrators at antiwar
protests, interviews with movement leaders, and ethnographic observation, this article argues
that the antiwar movement demobilized as Democrats, who had been motivated to participate
by anti-Republican sentiments, withdrew from antiwar protests when the Democratic Party
achieved electoral success, if not policy success in ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The withdrawal of Democratic activists changed the character of the antiwar movement by
undermining broad coalitions in the movement and encouraging the formation of smaller,
more radical coalitions. While the election of Barack Obama had been heralded as a victory
for the antiwar movement, Obama’s election, in fact, thwarted the ability of the movement to
achieve critical mass.”

1 Like

You are welcome. What most people fail to recognize is if U.S. Government’s Petro-Dollar, (which backs the U.S. currency) was ever lost to China, Russia or some other country, it would cost the oligarchs billions, if not trillons of $$$$$$. And all the proof one needs is ASK YOURSELF: WHY IRAQ? WHY VENEZUELA? WHY IRAN? WHY LIBYA? All these oil producing countries were or are, a potential threat to the Petro-Dollar.

5 Likes

That can only happen, Olhippy, if their is a nationwide garage sale selling BALLS! I fear many are lacking them in the U.S. population.

1 Like

The normalization of Pentagon pillaging and murder by the corporate media is disgusting.

Turn it off.

Send the stations emails detailing your disgust and your reluctance to ever trust them ever again.

Might not mean a hill of beans to them.

If millions register their displeasure, it might.

2 Likes

As are ALL the U.S. government’s terrorist activities!

1 Like

That is why many on the left call them SHEEPLE! Or, to quote Ward Churchill: " Americans are free to do exactly what they are told to do".

1 Like