Home | About | Donate

Corporations Paying Lawmakers to Outlaw Protest Is a Crime Against Democracy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/05/corporations-paying-lawmakers-outlaw-protest-crime-against-democracy

4 Likes

“Corporations paying lawmakers” for any reason “is a crime against democracy”.

Unfortunately the Reagan revolution and Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) formation during the 1980s opened the floodgates for accelerated corporate bribing and control of gubmit and the flood keeps getting worse with each passing year.

9 Likes

Sorry to burst your bubble… We’ll get what france is getting right now, or maybe worse.

Macron and his neoliberal goons just passed a law making it illegal to video or take pictures of police during protests. This is punishable by $45000 euro fine and up to 1 year in jail.

Looks like fascism to me.

Ask yourself, why haven’t I seen this on the “news”.

16 Likes

The United Corporations of America.

9 Likes

Even I was shocked to hear that so I googled and you’re right, Reuters was the only M$media “hit”. Luckily the bill is being withdrawn after “thousand of protestors” hit the streets of Paris.
I used to think the French had less obesity because of the Mediterranean diet, but perhaps is because they’re always marching in the streets. Good for their Republic, good for their waistlines.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be grounds for capital punishment in many countries?

3 Likes

LEE CAMP: We Can’t Vote ‘Em Out
We can make all sorts of noise and even scare ’em, but the A-Holes are here to stay.

It doesn’t matter when you read this, the assholes will still be in power. I know that because here in America we can’t vote out the assholes. We can trouble them, scare them, annoy them, and sometimes even pressure them into doing some small thing that’s mildly progressive.

But we can’t vote out the assholes.
~https://consortiumnews.com/2020/11/30/lee-camp-we-cant-vote-em-out/

5 Likes

Its been on NPR for the last week . .

2 Likes

It’s a sad state of affairs when your country has a Constitution that outlines basic personal rights, protest being one of them, but you have no ultimate or “top tier” court to uphold those rights for the people, you know, something like a “Supreme Court”. I wonder why our founders didn’t think of that.
We should think about enacting one of those.

6 Likes

The corporations and lawmakers should go to jail. President Elect Biden: *Tear down this Wall Street"!

2 Likes

There’s always revolution!

2 Likes

Boycott the corporations when you can.

3 Likes

This is why McConnell and Co. are seizing control of the judiciary. As climate becomes ever more unstable and terrorizing, they can foresee a growing clamor of protest against the burning of fossil fuels.
We should not be surprised that these corporate dinosaurs (“-cos we run on gasoline”) are preparing the fascist underpinnings needed to protect their profitability and control.

3 Likes

Rise and shine, monkeywrenchers! We have much work to undo.

2 Likes

Amen.

This is a big reason that universal digital surveillance was adopted. A difficulty with digital monkeywrenching is that it can often be responded to secretly.

2 Likes

Which is why I’ve never had a Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account, and refuse to activate Google on my mobile phone. To paraphrase Al Swearingen, “Announcing your plans is a good way to hear Big Brother laugh.”

“extra judicially speaking,” of course.

I am talking about governments prosecuting corruption by government officials.

Not extrajudicial anything. Countries punishing serious abuses of the peoples trust, in serious ways.

Most countries don’t execute people for such issues, especially true in capitalist countries.

What about the prosecutions of the Nazi conspiracy and aggression?

~https://www.nizkor.org/nazi-conspiracy-aggression/

Specifically the doctors trial.