Home | About | Donate

Costa Rica’s New President Promises 100% Green Energy, Aims to Be 1st Such Nation

Costa Rica’s New President Promises 100% Green Energy, Aims to Be 1st Such Nation

Juan Cole

Carlos Alvarado, 38, has had his inauguration as the Americas’ youngest head of state, coming to power in Costa Rica. Standard-bearer of an ambitious platform aiming at slashing corruption, government costs, poverty and unemployment, the journalist and author stands out for his dedication to decarbonization and a completely green energy grid. His new cabinet, by the way, has 14 women and 11 men.

Beautiful country with a beautiful aspiration.

It is impossible to have 100 per cent renewable energy. Modern machinery generates enormous heat due to friction. Refineries heat crude oil and pull off the more volatile gasoline and diesel fuel. The remaining gooey grease, with a very high boiling temperature, is necessary to lubricate the bearings of rolling stock. The motor oil that we use in our autos has a boiling temperature between these extremes. Vegetable oils will not substitute.

A tiny country with an abundance of hydroelectric energy (not the greenest thing going) and no requirements for heating during cold winters is not that relevant to the situation in the US when if comes to reducing carbon emissions but the goal of the country’s new president of 100% green energy is certainly welcome compared to what we are getting from Trump’s tweets. What the US needs is more voters like they have in Costa Rica and fewer voters supporting white nationalism, fascism, and increased drilling for oil and gas, including off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and even in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Looks like you are confusing the use of fossil oil’s use as a lubricant as opposed to using it as a fuel. I don’t see how using oil gooey grease as a lubricant contributes to the atmospheric carbon load. Fill me in.

hydroelectric energy (not the greenest thing going)

While I agree that in general dams are bad, I have friends in the mountains of North Carolina who used small scale local hydro power with solar supplements to supply 100% of their energy needs for years. They didn’t need to dam their creek, but used a fish in the stream. They used something similar to this:

https://www.wattandsea.com/en/products/cruising-hydrogenerators

for more detail:

I hear it’s really nice in Costa Rica.

Small scale hydro is okay. I don’t think Costa Rica is powered by small scale hydro. However, apparently they are moving toward more solar and wind. I don’t believe that Costa Rica has the political problem of having large scale oil, gas, and coal industries in their country like the US and therefore there is no threat of loss of profits or jobs.