Home | About | Donate

Counting Coups: Can the Pentagon Win When Putsch Comes to Shove?

Counting Coups: Can the Pentagon Win When Putsch Comes to Shove?

Nick Turse

Winning! It’s the White House watchword when it comes to the U.S. armed forces. “We will give our military the tools you need to prevent war and, if required, to fight war and only do one thing -- you know what that is? Win! Win!” President Donald Trump exclaimed earlier this year while standing aboard the new aircraft carrier U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford.

Just imagine what we could do by funding peaceful things instead of our tendency to believe that the solution for all problems is a military one, which it never is of course!

“There is significant evidence that the sprawling patchwork of America’s military training programs for foreign forces is hopelessly broken”.
I disagree, much like the drug war, the programs are working just like they were planned. I, like much of America (the America that knows about it), find them disgusting. In the 1980’s I was involved with training “freedom fighters” from Central America, that’s what we were told. We found out later we trained some of the death squads running around that area of the world (not a good thing to have on you’re conscious).