Home | About | Donate

CPC Co-chairs and Rep. Marcia L. Fudge Introduce the Stop Social Security Garnishment for Student Debt Act

CPC Co-chairs and Rep. Marcia L. Fudge Introduce the Stop Social Security Garnishment for Student Debt Act

WASHINGTON - The Co-Chairs of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, Representatives Raúl M. Grijalva (D-AZ) and Keith Ellison (D-MN), along with Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education of the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce, Representative Marcia L. Fudge (D-OH), issued the following statements after introducing the Stop Social Security Garnishment for Student Debt Act. The bill reverses a 1996 law that permits the garnishment the Social Security benefits to pay for outstanding federal student loans.

###

Please push to get this passed. I am working part time trying to pay bills rent and food plus medicines i need to take daily. My social security is only $750.00 a month after student loans and medicare is taken out. I don't know how much longer i am going to be able to work and am scared of what will happen to me.