Home | About | Donate

Crimes Against the Future and the World After Me

Crimes Against the Future and the World After Me

Tom Engelhardt

I recently dug my mother’s childhood photo album out of the depths of my bedroom closet. When I opened it, I found that the glue she had used as a girl to paste her life in place had given way, and on many pages the photos were now in a jumble.

We are the walking dead
tomorrow's forgotten
Fossils not yet calcified
the earth warming
beneath our feet
as we hunt for bargains
and argue politics

Denial and recalcitrance purchased
at the ultimate price
extinction nearing daily
incessant as the rise
of dying acidic seas
our legacy written
in refuse --

Arrogance Avarice Myopia

What I leave behind is a printed record of our experience and struggles via the collected words of the best radical poets and writers of our time via the Blue Collar Review. I don't know for whom but if anyone survives into the next centuries or comes here able to decode our language, they will know what happened, how we lived and that many struggled against the insane capitalist juggernaut for something better.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Excellent writing as usual from Engelhardt!. I notice a strong connection between him and Howard Zinn: high empathy for others and an ability to bring that across on the written page. Not everyone can do that as well as those two without sinking into maudlin prose.

???

Do you instead mean: "what can we do but rise up and take change into or hands"?

Brilliant and moving essay. Thank-you, Tom.

Yep, I have been thinking about all those I know who have passed through the Veil. And I have been thinking about growing up during the Cold War, in Orlando, being trained in how to duck and cover when an atomic bomb is being dropped. I still have my dog tag that all the children were given.
I can also see the Future. I see a future generation, perhaps my Grand kids, if not my kids, labeling all the Climate Change Deniers who are in power, as Criminals. What do you call someone who actively works to destroy Humanity? The Koch Brothers, Exxon Executives, Congress, all have used deception to prevent Humanity from saving itself, and the World from ending. Crimes Against Humanity and Mother Earth, all for Greed. We need to provide the future generations with the Names of those who made the decisions. Those names will be as hated as Hitler.

Imagine--John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You, ..

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world... You, ..

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Thank you for bringing this forward!

Just to clarify, by "Indian," you do not mean children from India -- you mean Native American.

I honestly was confused for a moment, because I haven't seen "Indian" used to mean Native American for a long time.

Other than that confusing transition from your use of "First Peoples" to "Indian," I did agree with your comment:

The Europeans who invaded the Americas (and much of the world) during Colonialism and Imperialism were frequently genocidal butchers of the most nightmarish kind!

Personally, my mind and heart cannot bear to read too much detail (or in too much depth) about the horrific butchery the Europeans committed (or what the U.S. military has done and is doing now). It's too heartbreaking for me to take it all in!

Thank you for your reply.

And please accept my heartfelt, sincere apology for what European and U.S. people have done (and are still doing) to Native Americans like you.

It saddens and angers me deeply.