Home | About | Donate

Criming While White Vs. Saving What Is Truly Sacred In This World

Criming While White Vs. Saving What Is Truly Sacred In This World

This week gave us an appalling view of American "justice" in all its white privilege and cognitive dissonance: The acquittal of a bunch of ignorant, armed, white, male hooligans who laid boisterous claim to Oregon land that was never theirs, and the tear-gassing, rubber-bulleting and arrest of peaceful, praying Standing Rock Sioux seeking to protect their land and water from destruction - to "do something good and right." After 500 years, shame, America, again.

Thank you, Lawrence, for an eloquent statement that should give every white man pause. Unfortunately, it won't because there are more sellouts like Rachel than there are principled news analysts. This whole article shows the shamelessness of hired thugs "just doing my job, taking orders" as though the Nuremberg trials never happened and the filth of the oil and gas industrialists. I hope people will see the suggested help list and step in to help. A man I work with is in close contact with the Indians and takes supplies and money to the tribes-people.

Please contribute whatever you can.

With a religion such as Christianity as the dominant religion in this country, why is it surprising that for so many in this country NOTHING is sacred?! Christianity has been a tool of capitalism that has had virtually no connection to the teachings that one finds in the gospels!

Just asking: Is there any Christian leaders standing with the Lakota Sioux?

True." Christianity has had virtually no connection to the teachings that one finds in the gospels."

Chris Hedges calls it " Christian Fascism" and in my view Chris is correct. Just like most of the Christian church condoned and supported the Nazi regime in Nazi Germany and were Christian Fascists. With a few exceptions like the Quakers, the Berrigans and a few others, American, Christian, Fascists are not much better. And what could be more egregious proof than most condone wars and even of all things! Have Christian Chaplains embedded with the Armed Forces!

Like someone said, the reason Jesus is taking so long to come back again, he knows these so-called Christians would crucify him again!

Bending knees to praise the invisible guy in the sky is the epitome of ignorance and stupidity. It's a sign homo sapiens need a change. Speaking of American hypocrites, intelligent people are over-whelmed by a culture that feeds on the tooth fairy, Easter bunny and Santa Clause.

Take Abby, who seems to have no understanding at all how government functions. It's beyond silly to force a relationship between the Bundy Incident and Americans - indigenous and not. As for the Buy Bull, well,,,

White Power Rules Amerikkka and the Donald will lead this great nation to benifit the aryrian race -

Great piece but please note that First Nation friends are telling me that the buffalo herd picture at the end of your article is not current but has been widely shared as the recent event when it is not. Perhaps say this in the picture caption? Thanks for the advocacy.

The newish term for what the author is describing is "moral injury".

And we've lived with moral injury all of our lives - it is debilitating I think.

Very few are left standing - it helps immensely to climb mountains or travel alone thru the great deserts.

"There is no happiness for the man who does not travel;
Living in the society of men, the best man becomes a sinner;
For Indra is the friend of the traveler, therefore wander."

• Vedic philosophy's take on so called "civilization"

This explains the entire existence of the US, an experiment that rightly belonged in England. Had these "forefathers" only practiced the original teachings of christianity they would have remained in Europe. Alas...That last photo of the buffalo gives me hope. Buffalo not pipelines!

Thank you. That's beautiful

I think you've seriously underestimated the acuity with which Abby understands how our government presently functions. Her take is spot on: If you're a rich, white, millionaire rancher with a top lawyer, you get "justice"; if you're poor, indigenous, trying to protect water for your kids, you get tear gas, pepper spray, and poisoned land, water and air.

Thank you, Abby. Great post

Here in Oregon the story is a little more complicated than Abby would make out. For starters there was the startling revelation in the trial that there were at least 15 FBI informants in and around the "occupation". In the trial only 3 were identified. One of the the three identified informants was the one who brought an arsenal of weapons onto the refuge and then filmed his organized firing drill. This footage was used in the trial against the "Malheur 7".

Then there is the odd detail of the lead defense lawyer being tackled and tazed directly after the defendants were vindicated.

Finally, there is David Fry, Japanese heritage last man out of the Malheur refuge, released from jail and makes a statement in solidarity with the Standing Rock resistance, linking all of the struggles against Federal Overreach against the people.

The social activist named Jesus would be at Standing Rock right now.

The dominant religion in this country is Neoliberalism not Christianity. Standing Rock shows how the abstract devouring machine of neoliberal capitalism must roll over the Earthbound (people connected to the local resources of the earth). That is the only way it can be perpetuated. The indigenous people and children of slavery are only the first to suffer. Everything will be devoured.

The U.S. gestapo has used the same tactics against Occupy Wall Street. First, see if the folks will go home after a few weeks. Then beat them, arrest them, jail them, fine them until the peaceful citizens understand they must obey.

If ''Brave New World'' doesn't stupefy the masses sufficiently, then unleash ''1984.''

Perhaps if the peaceful warriors were fully outfitted with football uniforms/helments, gas masks, ear protection, and had plexiglass shields for lines of defense, the militarized officials would have to work a lot harder to violate the Constitutional/Human Rights of protectors.

If the peaceful warriors were outfitted thus, then the militarized police would use that as an excuse to use even more violence. If they see the unarmed protectors in helmets, face masks and Kevlar, then instead of rubber bullets and bean bags, they would become afraid and start using live rounds.

In order for the Water Protectors to maintain the moral "high ground", they must continue to be unarmed and unprotected against the highly disproportionate force being used against them.

I have nothing but the highest respect and admiration for anyone who is brave enough to stand unarmed against an army of people who have been murdering and stealing from their people for 500 years. I don't know if I could be so brave, but then again, the most dangerous man or woman is the one who has nothing left to lose.

Even before Tawney's book there was one by Max Weber.

Ironic, isn’t it, that people like Jesus ALWAYS get “crucified”—and the leaders in doing so often claim to be his FOLLOWERS!!

Should not conservatives also be conservationists, by the very definition of the word?

Yes.The Episcopal church. locally in ND.