Home | About | Donate

Criticizing Israel Isn’t Anti-Semitic. Here’s What Is.

Criticizing Israel Isn’t Anti-Semitic. Here’s What Is.

Sarah Gertler

Weeks ago, when the first accusations of anti-semitism were being leveled against Representative Ilhan Omar, I was deeply agitated.

Not long ago I saw her address these accusations at a local town hall. She reminded the world that, as a Black Muslim woman in America, she knows what hate looks like — and spends her life laboring against it. Her words were clear, bold, and unflinching.

7 Likes

Sarah, I fear you’re going to be pilloried with the trope that so often runs alongside “Criticism of Israel = anti-Semitism,” namely: “Don’t listen to self-hating Jews.”

I stand with you, Sarah, as do many others. We should take solace in seeing this issue finally being discussed openly. Thanks for writing this.

14 Likes

They (the Zionist/Israeli lobby) has to absolutely crush any elected official who speaks any kind of truth about the illegitimacy of Israel as a state of theft of the Palestinian’s land. If truthful criticism of Israel and all of the genocidal and ethnic cleansing tactics they have been using on Palestinians for nearly 100 years to steal their land over a bogus claim of being “God’s Chosen People™”, entitled to Palestine as a homeland because a fake Sky Daddy said so 5,000 years ago is allowed to stand by any elected officials, they will no longer be able to enforce their sweetheart deal with the U. S. for weapons and financial aid. So, they must totally discredit them with false claims of Antisemitism, even though Palestinians are the true Semites and most Israelis are not. Good on Rep. Omar and I hope she continues to refuse to back down as she is threatened with her job by Pelosi and Hoyer, and the rest of the AIPAC bought-and-paid for hacks in Congress.

7 Likes

Go to Youtube, type “Norman Finkelstein” in the search box. Listen to this man speak about the Israel - Palestine conflict.

5 Likes

Representative Ilhan Omar faces more rascism from the representatives of our government in every hour of every day, than all jews on earth, put together, face in a decade from our government.

This is very near the point where Netanyaho will have more to say about how america is governed than any American does, This is already clearly the case where “natural persons” are concerned.

Also in my opinion, no foreign nation, no matter who it is, should be allowed a lobby in our government - its hard enough already to call it our own!

14 Likes

Ms. Gertler: THANK YOU for this clear and courageous article which succinctly states so many inconvenient truths which MUST be faced, starting with the Nakba, a term most Americans are completely ignorant of, due to the corrupt, biased corporate media, including PBS.

I will share this article widely.

8 Likes

The Western powers grand scheme to create a Jewish nation on the premise of fulfilling a Bible prophecy didn’t work out for them. They were hoping all the Jews would move to Israel. Now we use Israel as a potential landing beach should the Middle Eastern countries decide to withhold their oil. Anti-Semitism, attacking Jewish people, is definitely not the same thing as criticizing the country of Israel any more than anti-Christianity, attacking Christians based on their religion, would be the same as criticizing the USA.

2 Likes

Is not allowing North Korea to lobby Racist against Koreans? Or what about Iran, its Anti-Shiite to not allow them to lobby. What about Venezuela, wouldn’t want to be anti Venezuelan being how much we deeply care about their well being and all. Any Fascist regime in the world is just inviting criticism, and Israel is among the worst. (so are we)

5 Likes

All those in Congress who are criticizing Ilhan Omar need to be called out for what they are:
Racist warmongers who care nothing of international law or human compassion.

5 Likes

Hi bystander, and another intriguing thing too. If America and much of the world accepts Israel’s claim that all the Palestinian land belongs to the people who call themselves Israelis because possible relatives lived there 5,000 years ago. So America government, -------without hypocrisy, please explain to the indigenous people of what is now America, why they can’t have all of their land returned—now.

11 Likes

I completely agree.
Maybe they cannot have their land back because we killed them all off. Fifty-six million indigenous people murdered. Kind of makes what Hitler did tame in comparison.

3 Likes

Somebody told you at least one big lie, young lady, and probably many more. There was NO ‘thriving Mizrahi Community’ before the Zionist project took off. Today’s Mizrahim are nearly all descended from 750,000 refugees from Arab countries who returned between 1949 and 1952 for the most part. And the Arab governments confiscated land from them which amounts to FIVE TIMES the size of Israel–and we have yet to hear anything about any compensation! Oh, and did no one tell you of all the Arabs who were freely allowed to enter the Mandate between 1920 and 1948? Slightly more Arabs than Jews came in those years, thanks to the British Foreign Office and the prosperity that the returning Jews brought with them. And has anyone told you of the deals which the Arabs could have had in: 1937, 1947, 1950, 1967, 1993, 2000 and 2006? When Abbas refused the last deal, then-Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia threw up his hands and exclaimed, “You turned THIS down?! That’s it! We can’t support you anymore, you’re on your own.” One last little tidbit: google a 1977 interview of Zahir Muhsein (a top PLO official) done by the Dutch magazine Trouw. Read what he had to say about how real the ‘Palestinian’ people are! And google Haj Amin el-Husseini while you’re at it!
You’re right, though: criticizing Israel is NOT anti-Semitic, if you mean the government or any other Israeli institution. But I think you’ll be glad Israel itself is there if and when Jew-hatred boils over yet again. Unless, of course, you’re among the casualties.

1 Like

I love a good fairy tale - how about the one where Prometheus puts all the evil in the world into a jar to protect mankind. Where is he when you need him?

Hear!!  Hear!!!   Of course it’s not “our” government — it’s a wholly-owned subsidiary of Multi-NaZional Greed, Inkorporated.

2 Likes

Here is the problem with Omar’s statements.

She is not forthright in actually offering a specific criticism against a specific politician who has, in her mind, been influenced by “Benjamins” to take a position in support of Israel. She does not provide a specific example of a person showing “dual allegiance.”

Lacking a specific example, one cannot understand, precisely, what she is criticizing.

What does she mean by “allegiance?” It is a disturbing word to use in this context.

Let me provide another example, to illustrate why I’m disturbed.

I have no Mexican heritage or ancestry. Let’s say that I go to a soccer match, USA vs Mexico. And I dress in green, white, and red and cheer for Mexico. A Trump supporter might think me weird or even unpatriotic, but would never imply — much less state — that I had “allegiance” to Mexico.

But what if I were a “dreamer” from Mexico, brought to the USA by my Mexican parents. And then I get my picture taken in the Rose Bowl, cheering for Mexico. A great many Trump supporters would derisively claim that I had “allegiance” to Mexico (and presumably, therefore, should not be rewarded with legal status, much less citizenship).

So when Omar gives no examples and names no names, to whom is she referring when she speaks of people with “dual ALLEGIANCE?”

Is she speaking of Newt Gingrich? I don’t think that she’d use that word. Perhaps he supports Israel because of “Benjamins,” but he doesn’t do so out of “allegiance.” How about all the Evangelical Christians who support Israel? Would Omar claim they do so out of “allegiance?” I don’t think that’s the word she’d use. When you think of Christians who support the conquest of Arabs, you think of imperialistic outsiders (i.e. Crusaders), conquering the Holy Land to fulfill gentile religious prophesy; you don’t think of people with personal “allegiance.”

So, no. Omar wasn’t referring to “Zionists.” She was — specifically — referring to Jews. Only she didn’t cite specific examples, which could allow for counter argument or refutation. It was generalized innuendo. Against Jews.

And that’s what made it anti-Semitic.

2 Likes

The problem is not that no example is provided, the problem is that despite hundreds of billions of well known examples, going back many decades, that people try to discredit the truthsayer for not providing an example, or any other reason they can fabricate through their sophistry. Everyone knows its true - everyone, even you!

5 Likes

Sarah, a beautifully written, clear picture of the past and present state of affairs concerning Israel. Somehow the US went from participating in anti-Semitism to being unable identify what is and is not anti-Semitism.

1 Like

And while we’re at it, we can try to explain to African Americans why the average white family’s worth is 10 times that of average African American families and the gap is growing. And we can explain why we get on our high horse when the subject of reparations comes up.

5 Likes

Great to see Llhan Omar and articles like this. The fascistic Israeli state has way too much influence on US politics. The UN - (nearest thing we have to a world government) repeatedly condemns the Israeli government’s behavior - to no effect! - thanks to shameful US support.

1 Like

Characterizing as anti-Semitic critics of organized essentially Jewish wrongdoing or manipulation, in an effort to silence and destroy those critics (rather than answering the criticism on the merits), invites the conclusion that there is an organized Jewish cabal that seeks to unfairly control the narrative and to control us, particularly members of congress. Facing this, you as an individual have a choice: cower and accept that control by smear or fight against it the attempts to destroy you that will follow.

Together, we must fight against the unjustified use of the antisemitism smear to control and destroy - it’s an evil as is real antisemitism (hatred of Jews per se) which it actually albeit unfairly invites. It does not serve the Jewish people well.

1 Like