Here is a novel idea for a compromise: End secrecy and make everybody's private information freely available, including all politician's, all oligarchs, all bankers and all corporate managers worldwide. I can only speculate on what would happen, but it seems like it would be a great and positive thing overall. No more war, theft, graft, sexual crimes, pollution, ignorance, racism, sexism, elitism, wage slavery, corruption, torture, murder, etc., all secrets sanitized by the light of day.
For crying out loud, Senate and Congress, let the unconstitutional, illegal and misnamed Patriot Act and all the others of its ilk just die a lonely, unmourned death!
* We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
* Do you recognize that? It is the preamble to the Constitution of the United States.
* I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
* That is the oath every one of you takes when first taking office, and again at the beginning of each session. You are bound by it! Crossing your fingers behind your back does not count!
* There is a process for amending the Constitution, spelled out in the document. If the American People want to give up their Constitutional Rights, they can amend it to do so. There is no provision in the Constitution for it to be supplanted by Legislative or Executive fiat, but that is what you did when you adopted, virtually unread, the illegal, unconstitutional, and misnamed Patriot Act, thereby suspending our freedoms and our rights in the name of "the Homeland."
* The illegal, unconstitutional and misnamed Patriot Act has spawned increasingly invasive and dictatorial laws upon We the People.
* We demand that these laws and the illegal Act that spawned them be allowed to die a lonely and unmourned death and that there be a restoration of the Constitution of the United States and Bill of Rights that led and protected our nation for over two centuries.
Oh, an added P.S.
* If anyone wants to copy the above and post it to your alleged representatives, please feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help them remember the oath they took.
Sounds Orwellian to me. Recent research in neuroscience using brain scans has allowed researchers to read intentions prior to action, and is quite in line with your vision.
Who gets to determine whose intentions shall be known?
Can we start with your private information please? I mean all of it. Don't be keeping any secrets now.
The Bill of Rights is just so 9/10 (compromised as it was already on 9/10/01).
Rand getting this "huge thing right" (NSA spying for the Empire) has now expanded to the NYT getting this huge thing right!
Even the ‘Old Grey Lady’ of media, the New York Times, ran an Opinion Pages Editorial on this critical subject:
And the Times, yes, the Times, concluded that its lapse would be fine: “That would be perfectly fine.”
The reader comments that these illegal spying activities should end was
overwhelming!! With almost no Times readers defending this illegal,
undemocratic, and un-Constitutional spying.
I was surprised that the Times allowed one of my replies to a fellow reader’s comment to be included:
“Cathi, thanks for your recognition of Snowden’s brave and patriotic service in specifically making public the extent of this Orwellian facade which only ‘poses’ as our previously proud democratic Republic.
But even Snowden himself, and other truth-tellers like Greenwald, Manning, Assange, the “Occupy”movement, et al. have not yet fully recognized what their efforts have more broadly ‘exposed’ — which is to diagnose, recognize, expose, and publicly ‘call-out’ the entire scope of this Disguised Global (crony) Capitalist Empire, merely ‘posing’ as, and HQed in, our former country, and which now controls both the neocon ‘R’ Vichy party and the neoliberal-con ‘D’ Vichy party.”
I also submitted this 2nd comment which I was amazed that the previously close-minded and censoring-inclined NYT judged suitable for on-line publication:
“The solution is not to maintain secret spying on everyone in the world, both ‘abroad’ and ‘at home’ who resists living under an Empire.
Instead the only solution is to stop ‘acting like’ a Global Empire abroad and at home.
As the late great Jewish intellectual, Hannah Arendt, warned from her experience with an earlier wannabe empire in Germany and France, “Empire abroad entails tyranny at home”.
German citizens learned that lesson too late when they allowed their Republic to morph into a quite visible Empire.
Let’s “hope for change” that Americans can see that this better disguised global Empire needs to be recognized and corrected, as our forefathers recognized of a Red-Coated Empire long ago.”
If the mighty defender of the entrenched system, the Times, allowed this to be openly spoken against this Dual-party Vichy American Global Empire —- why are the leftish, progressive-lite, alt-media herd of sheep afraid to speak the word ‘EMPIRE’, eh??
"Who gets to determine whose intentions shall be known?"
I said "everybody's private information". Read a post before you comment.
I read your fanciful post natureboy. I was trying to shed a bit of reality on your ridiculous idea.
Suddenly everyone will just instantly agree to make their private information freely available to everyone else! All power relationships disappear! Even the Pentagon goes along! People will openly share their most intimate fears, desires, schemes, with everyone else. No more war, no more prisons, nothing bad will come of no one being allowed any privacy or secrets whatsoever and EVERYONE will agree to this plan!
Natureboy starts this process by publicly cleaning out his own dirty secrets right here on Common Dreams while simultaneously declaring that everyone, and I mean everyone should have no secrets whatsoever, no private lives, no curtains on the windows or even doorways or door nobs, and everyone must follow his directive and do it post haste or else.
I have a directive for you now. Think something through before you post. Some ideas are better kept secret.
The various deep state entities have never paid much attention to either the laws or to the constitution. We will still see them collecting all this information with or without legal cover.
The creation of a surveillance state is particularly dangerous in the context of a country that wants democracy because the powerful would find it easy to use it to blackmail politicians. In fact, NSA whistleblower Russell Tice had something to say about that.
Sadly, you are probably correct.
I believe it was during the Clinton Adm.s 5th year that he ordered the Alphabet Agencies to quit using unauthorized/illegal/ unconstitutional spying and data collecting of private citizens and various groups' metadata. They may have going beyond this to wiretapping at home, and abroad, In hindsight, we know they were, particularly on data flowing among foreign countries and businesses. This was, of course, when the Intertubes were really gaining steam, and the tech bubble economy, hardly considered. At the time there were 20 agencies basically ordered " to stand down " by order of the Commander-in-Chief. Fast forward, past the Impeachment Paralysis, to the Clinton's last year. In the 36 mos. which passed, only 7 of the agencies had done anything quantifiable, to comply with this order. At whose behest was this directive ignored? Who profited? Who had the green light to continue violating the rights of the governed in this country? And, why? We, as citizens of the U.S. have the right to know the rules of the game. Anything less is unsatisfactory.
The Patriot Act, USA Freedom Act, FISA Improvements Act are some of the names of programs that show just how dishonest our lying politicians are. The names are the exact opposite of what the programs really are. I do hope the sun sets on the very unpatriotic Patriot Act.
Good German = Exceptional American
Propaganda is renaming Treason as Patriotism
Fear is a more reliable motivator than Principle
Lies taste sweeter than Truth
Think J Edgar Hoover and his FBI.. Secret Dossiers on anybody with power and influence.
Information-age democracy has zero secrets. Democracy is only a tool humans use to focus distributed intelligence. Secrets have no logic to exist when democratically focusing distributed human intelligence in the information-age.
Jonny, the OSS (precursor to the CIA/NSA) learned on Hitler's dime that instead of a Vichy government in a captured and "Occupied" territory, that a dual-party Vichy faux government right in the heart of the 'Homeland' Empire would fool almost all the people almost all the time.
The "we get the government we deserve" meme isn't a very well thought out one. That would necessitate the existence of a true Democratic process, open government, an economic system that disallowed inordinate concentration of wealth and power among a tiny minority, a press not dominated by that tiny minority that manufactures either consent of such status quo or ignorance of it, et al.
Thus, that meme doesn't wash.
We also should have the right to either end the game or leave the game when we find if is rigged. Preferably, end it.