Home | About | Donate

Critics Debunk Trump's Wild Assertion He Has 'Total' Authority on Reopening Economy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/14/critics-debunk-trumps-wild-assertion-he-has-total-authority-reopening-economy

Trump will exert his “total authority”, re-open everything early, and there will be second wave of COVID 19 in the fall. He will use his “total authority” to suspend elections. The now conservative Supreme Court will clutch its collective pearls, and the AG will mutter something about the Unitary Executive theory. Unless some Justices arrive, on a slow train, to their senses, and start shutting Trump down.

This is profits before people on STEROIDS! Profits now are not only more important than people; THEY ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN PEOPLE’S LIVES! AND YES THIS NEEDS TO BE SHOUTED!

1 Like

Anyone who can’t see that we are headed for a full blown fascist dictatorship is a freaking idiot.

Sometimes when fascism is taking root in a country, armed reactionaries come after that. We are waiting for the response. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting…

1 Like

Unfortunately, so many of my Bible, Trumping, relatives are just that…freaking,political,idiots!

I think the USA already a fascist state.

4 Likes

Much like most of Europe.

2 Likes

You ain’t seen nothing yet. The process has not been completed.

Already happening, fascist gangs on the move against the constitution.

ttps://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-stay-at-home-orders-protests-economy

1 Like

While this article is satire I thought it funny as heck. Fly on the wall in a Trump Conference call.

~https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/tychkowski-oh-to-be-a-fly-on-the-wall-of-the-trump-commissioners-conference-call/wcm/493ba8fd-fa09-4bf0-8d78-6f6c57179e8e/

“Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed. Their mistaken course stems from false notions of equality, ladies and gentlemen. Equality, rightly understood, as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences. Wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Fellow Republicans, it is the cause of Republicanism to resist concentrations of power, private or public, which enforce such conformity and inflict such despotism. It is the cause of Republicanism to ensure that power remains in the hands of the people.”

— Barry Goldwater

Lyndon Johnson electoral college vote: 90.3%
Barry Nuke Em Goldwater: 9.7%

This person ( I won’t call him a “man”, because he is not) is an unhinged, impudent oligarchic maniacal despot

Agreed. And yet, I must suggest that there are many “idiots” abounding throughout the nation, because there are many who adulate this vile person

1 Like

Quite true. Hitler got 43% of the vote in 1933.

Is this just fate for trump to have no Bernie rallies, and no in-the-street protests, or is it a planned thing?
My cynics radar is up.

I understand that, I was ten years old when that election occurred…I posted this quote to show the gaping divide in political philosophy between then and now.

Any leader who believes it has total authority would be a totalitarian. That would get us a totalitarian government. Trump told us on live TV that that’s what he thinks he is.

Whether the word is used as a noun or as an adjective, it means one sort of dictator or another.