Home | About | Donate

"Culture of Violence?" You Betcha, Mr. Trump, But It's Not The Video Games

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/08/culture-violence-you-betcha-mr-trump-its-not-video-games

1 Like

Best article on the topic. Most writing on this topic is tacit on the militarism issue. We have a militaristic society. Almost half the populations families are ‘military families.’ Who raise children with money earned in the murder industry. And we are all complicit, explicitly or implicitly.

One item to be added to this list is the exceptional degree to which we imprison people…which I am sure is what Obama had in mind when he stated that he believes in American exceptionalism.

3 Likes

Mike, it is very hard to believe that with all the investigative journalism skills and resources that the NYT has that it could not ‘expose’ the fact that the “Merchants of Death” (who hide behind the cover term ‘Defense Contractors’) are actually the largest funding source and real political power behind the NRA.

This seemingly under-investigated and ‘conspiracy-theory sounding’ factor blocking any serious understanding of how the thousands of times larger and incalculably more profitable ‘Defense Contractors’ (one of whom poses as just a friendly jet airliner maker, despite walking a questionable line on its dangerously mis-engineered new plane, which somehow escaped any FAA safety review) are, or are not, secretly funding the nearly bankrupted NRA — simply because the NRA had produced the deceitful and ‘fear inducing’ marketing message “The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a (bigger) gun” — which happens to serve both the tiny small-arms companies and the ”Huuuuuge” (as Bernie would say) global corporations that produce 70% of the “really Big Money” (as Senator Bulworth said) ‘Merchants of Death’ (as Bertrand Russell said).

2 Likes

In addition to being unalterably immoral, the death penalty, especially in this instance, is utterly ineffectual. Many mass shooters are fully prepared to be killed as a consequence of their acts, or may actually seek that outcome.

As for mental illness, the insanity we need to address here is the culture that glorifies the gun.

2 Likes

And let’s not forget violence towards the natural world. The US military is a bigger polluter than 140 countries put together…as per latest public report. These things are all inter-related.

3 Likes

The video games were developed by the military. They did studies after WWII that indicated that very few soldiers actually killed anyone in combat. They concluded that there is a natural human revulsion toward killing. They then set about to find ways to suppress that revulsion and desensitize soldiers to the horror of killing someone, and ultimately the result was “point and shoot” video simulations where, by countless repetitions, killing became the conditioned response. Then some genius thought it would be great to give this training to kids.

3 Likes

The right Wing 2nd amendment crowd can come up with all of the lame nonsense to prevent shootings but it’s pretty clear without access to these military style weapons it just wouldn’t be possible to kill 9 people in 30 seconds or 22 in s couple of minutes. Tell your bullshit to someone else because I ain’t buying it. I heard someone say if you need an assault weapon to hunt you should buy your meat st the grocery store .

3 Likes

The Red Flag Argument holds no water after it’s been reported the mother of one of the shooters ( I think El Paso) called the police and expressed concern about her son purchasing such a weapon but was informed since he is 21 nothing could be done. So that dog don’t hunt either.

1 Like

Trump needs 302‘d. The process of holding a person against there will as they could do harm to themselves or others. A full mental evaluation can determine otherwise. And that ain’t happening lol.

1 Like

U.S. military,. the cancer that is eating the soul of America. The lies that promote war are endless. Babies thrown out of incubators, blasted all over the MSM. Gee, who owns the newspapers. Uh, i dunno Guess it’s all true. WMD s, Chavez and Assad killing their own. Same with Ghaddafi,Same in Iran, Russia,Honduras, etc etc. Who can we not criticize, they are the rulers of America.

2 Likes

NYT tell the truth…ha ha ha as Johnny Mac said …You can’t be serious !!

Dump deserves no credit in that “speech” for recognizing anything about white supremacy. He had nothing to do with penning that speech. He read it as tho he were a drugged robot. He didn’t mean any part of it except the death penalty.

It’s sickening to see ANYONE giving him any kind of credit for any words he uses that came from some speechwriter. He gets no credit…other than for being a good dog and doing what his handlers insisted he do.

As for violence surrounding us, I agree with Ferner, but let’s add more sources/examples. Forget the flyovers at football games. Look at the game itself and say it’s not violent; look at how proud mommas and poppas push their boys into football. Look at other sports…boxing and wrestling, anyone? Take one day…ok, half a day…and watch tv commercials. Draw a tally mark for every bit of physical or verbal violence you see in them. Your total at the end WILL astound you. Drive on any major road and watch instances of road rage. You get the idea. We’re surrounded, alright.

1 Like

You have concisely summarized David Grossman’s 1995 book, On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, which was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. Grossman has become controversial since then for reasons I have not followed, but the book stands up even if he hasn’t.

1 Like

In Facing the Anthropocene: Fossil Capitalism and the Crisis of the Earth System, by Ian Angus, the author shows that a full 20% of the world’s total carbon emissions come from military sources. He did not point out that the majority of that 20% comes from the U.S. military. It’s not so much a “culture of violence” as it is a “culture of death.” The fossil fueled MIC protects fossil capitalism and its carbon based empire of greed. Any soldier who believes he or she is protecting the “American way of life” is seriously deluded. The military protects the wealth of our oligarchs; nothing else.

1 Like

The red flag argument is a red herring. Ask any person seeking protection from domestic violence who was then gunned down by someone who wasn’t supposed to have a gun anymore. Oh, wait. You can’t. They’re dead.

1 Like

Good article. And I agree with Trump’s narrative that these senseless attacks are caused by " mental illness" yes the mental illness of what the US government has done in our names!

Ed’s note…many kudos!

Some of the soldiers were brainwashed, not willfully deluded. When they return from deployment and get their reality check, they finish falling apart (what combat didn’t effect). I wish I could see so much of our governments, past and present, effectively charged with war crimes.

2 Likes

Shanti, I was going to upvote you, but my finger froze at “Trump’s narrative.” In serious, I do agree with your point.

Based on his weird reading of the TelePrompTer speech, I hope an aneurysm is forming in his head and it ruptures very soon.