Home | About | Donate

Cuomo Order That Sent Estimated 4,300 Covid-19 Patients to Nursing Homes Denounced as 'Single Dumbest Decision Anyone Could Make'

Read Paul Street’s article in CounterPUnch MAY 22, 2020 How Obama could find some redemption.

People remember this when some misplaced “liberal” starts praising Cuomo for Prez in 2024. This guy is no better than either Clinton and probably worse than Obama.

2 Likes

Cuomo has" real appeal " among the real estate developer class in NY state, it seems.
Maybe they could call him Governor " Gentrifier " Cuomo, if you would. After all, he’s capable of following the science of tax law, the science of urban renewal and planning, the science of cost shifting and above all, the science of future campaign fundraising. And, with the MSM adding their scientific expertise in propaganda posing as public relations and news, he’ll kick Bill Nye " The Science Guy " to a curb somewhere in NJ, where he belongs.

Oh dear gods, just shoot me now…

2 Likes

Teachout, AOC can’t throw Cuomo out. It’s up to the people of New York. It’s up to the voters. And personally, thinking of how bad and corrupted and pervasive our corporate-owned media is, I doubt these New Yorkers are going to wise up and vote for someone who is actually competent.
AOC in office is a fluke.

Too many stupid, ignorant Americans.

1 Like

Why can’t we just house these Covid-19 patients on cots in the Governor’s mansion? I’m sure Cuomo has some extra room in his pad! If he doesn’t have space, we set up a camp for Covid-19 patients on the White House lawn- or better still, in the White House. We could also house them in the Senate building, where they could hang out with Mitch McConnell. I mean, we have to put them somewhere! Maybe our political leaders would finally care about the pandemic after having a good, long meet and greet with the infected.

3 Likes

Mebbe phatkhat a slight modification and qualification of your statement that “I think it’s more like human life can’t sustain Capitalism any longer.” More likely that human life and Apex Predators can’t sustain Predatory Capitalism any longer.

However, long after we humans and Apex Predators are gone back to dust, a less rapacious form of capitalism\opportunism will be one of a few balanced dynamics contributing to the homeostasis of whatever species are evolved well enough to survive. That species, albeit I’m rooting for us humans, will have to figure out the measure of altruism and cooperation that will have to balance the cut-throat sectors where that capitalism\opportunism dynamic eats through bio-dross and felled life without up-ending the model whereby human economies of scale work for humans rather than humans work for market makers and financializers.

Check the OECD indices of qualities of life sectors of the economy, like Education, Health, Housing, Social Welfare, Telecomm and Life Sciences that any Public Interest centered human centered society or nation-state should be privileging in policy instead of the Corporate Caliphate and so-called yet-to-be-found Free Markets (that is free of market maker and other Private Interest player rigging borne of conflicted interests and institutional corruption including regulatory capture).

Finland for over a decade of some very hard economic hits, like Nokia losing its global share of telecomm markets to Apple design and Foxconn contract manufacturing.
ttps://venturebeat.com/2019/05/10/surviving-nokia-how-oulu-finland-rebounded-from-the-collapse-of-its-largest-employer/

Other major Finnish Global Market players in the supply chains of electronics, cyber gaming, mineral processing, transportation and hardware have had to adapt to keep their full-time Labor demand up and support the Social Democratic safety nets that should be teaching the rest of the world a few things about economically housing the homeless and thereby cutting down on costs of Public Health National Security Threats.
ttps://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2017/mar/22/finland-solved-homelessness-eu-crisis-housing-first

Along with mending the other major social safety nets and infrastructure that the U.S. has allowed to crumble in the race to the bottom of our duopoly’s acceptance of Neo-Liberal E-CON doctrines like SHRINKING BIG GOVERNMENT (until it resembles Third World and Underdeveloped government).

ttps://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/02/how-does-finland-s-top-ranking-education-system-work
ttps://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-ollila-finland-happiness-20190407-story.html

We’ll also need to be evolved enough to know how much cooperation needs to balance competition for natural selection to drain the bathwater while leaving the baby alive and well if dripping wet.

One hopes the Finns with the Russian Czars on one border until the Bolshevik Revolution and eventual Soviet Union Empire as a continuous 200 year major predatory enemy of Finland’s sovereignty and their indigenous language(s) and culture(s), institutional regulation, judiciary system, social welfare systems, educational systems as well as productive presence in global economy with a diversified economy that never succumbed despite the challenges of paying for that kind of national security and independence by making any claims to FINNISH mytho-poetic EXCEPTIONALISM. Although the runic KALEVALA gave the Finn’s ancient culture more legitimacy to such a claim that the New Nation that Washington claimed to represent eventually from sea to shining sea to Gulf of Mexico, the Great Lakes and the Canadian High Line.

Sweden’s kingdom on hemmed in Finland’s western border presented similar challenges as the Russian negation of Finnish language, culture and national statehood.

All as Washington’s domestic Public (Dis)Information\Public Diplomacy campaigns have convinced so many of our body politic of, namely that fallacy known even today as AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM. Despite our crumbling institutions, a judiciary that has granted unlimited immunity to white collar crime, political malfeasance, tax evasion and hoarded capital flight along with more Daddy Warbucks global saturation of weapons exports than the next 10 nation-states combined. All this and anti-trust enforcement hiatus for half a century now, concentrations of wealth well beyond any in recorded history, erosion of democratic participation and rectitude, lack of political representation for the vast majority of citizens living as Wage Slaves on the Planet of Clock Punchers near Main Streets siphoned dry by the Corporate Caliphate and Feudal Lords of High Finance and Surveillance Capitalism (see former Harvard Business School Prof Shoshana Zuboff’s 2 decades in the making kiss off to her Ivy League faculty position and any presence on Google, FaceBook or MicroSoft’s monopolistic bid-net models as explained in the Dutch Public Interest TV documentary in English with Dutch translation that is now also posted on Google’s cash cow and monopolistic cyber-cornucopia U. of Tube dba YouTube. Search under Shoshana Zuboff on surveillance capitalism | VPRO Documentary
•Dec 20, 2019

All the while Washington’s Shadow Government and sometimes outtside of government entirely operating under the private business clients of the DULLES BROTHERS aligning U.S. with some of the most barbarous and least democratic or republic-like governments in the Authoritarian and Totalitarian world.

With Washington or the National Fruit Company aka Chiquita of Cincinnati or At&T doing the actual junta organizing and coup d’etat military supply lines feeding our Shadow Government’s preferred clients and dictatorial death squad ruling hierarchies.

Washington insiders and outsiders were overthrowing and regime-changing even democratically elected representational governments while Washington backed despotic regimes and military-run economic centralized systems that violated every rhetorical Cold War doctrine of advancing Market Principles as tax-payer subsidies and often illegal and\or cut-out flagged enterprises in concert with Washington’s Shadow Government (see especially after WW II under Eisenhower who left the White House after his two civilian leadership terms and decades heading military operations by getting on national television to directly address the tube-fed citzenry warning of the “MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX” and its threat to what few democratic structures might hope to check the imperatives and resources of Daddy Warbucks and the Shadow Government. Exported via Black, Gray and White propaganda systems like The Mighty Wurlitzer that U.S. law directed to be targeting only our Cold War rivals but in fact were issuing the main source of government contracts to public and private universities and their business lines.

For more on that see Christopher Simpson’s SCIENCE OF COERCION and the book of essays he edited with contributions from many colleagues in his discipline of Communication and other disciplines that took form with federal funding as unmarked if leaned-upon appendages of Washington’s and the Shadow Government’s roughly parallel objectives. See UNIVERSITIES and EMPIRE.

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Shifters and Song Chasers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa
Media Discussion List

1 Like

Would that be like small pox laden blankets provided to Native Americans?

Yes, it certainly would. ProPublica’s reporting on this story is available right now.
If you think POTUS Trump & Co. aren’t cashing in on this COVD-19 pandemic, you’re missing the real point. Please look to why he’s using PPEs, et al; really anything he can leverage to extort, and seek ransom ( blackmail ) from the 50 states ( Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C ) by forcing a bidding war for PPEs on to the various governors. Private enterprise by and for your political patrons, etc. A backdoor way to cash in.
What we do to Native Americans ( First Nations ) is actually a type of negligent homicide. It’s also an international violation, possibly an unlawful action similar to a war crime, like genocide, imo.
It’s as disgusting and depraved as its historical counterpart, small pox infested blankets. WTF?

3 Likes

Ah, schools were closed in every neighborhood affected by COVID-19. There are closed and shuttered shopping facilities in almost every community, as well. They are already plumbed, have lighting and electric connection to the grid, parking and what have you.
Where’s your imagination? Thinking on your feet is a lost skill in New York and Pennsylvania, apparently. Sounds like a bad case of Potomac Fever. Better go see a doctor and skip your next appointment with a political consultant/scientist.

Sometimes your words are like smoldering lava in your descriptive thoughts on various topics(this being nursing homes). I believe your message is brute, and meant to convey this is who we are. The great shining house on a hill can give a rat’s ass about it’s the ones who made us great? We are soon destined to be delivered to the trash
heap of countries that didn’t give a f— about caring for their people. So sad.

2 Likes

Caring for other people, besides number one – that’s a foreign concept in USA. This becomes a problem for the survival of cultures which cannot learn that human pathogens don’t much care what kind of Homo sapiens they’re allowed to prey upon, so long as human prey is plentiful and vulnerable.

Truly historic genocide, I do mean on the level of Nazi atrocity, unfolds today in USA’s migrant concentration camps, where fate selected Carlos Ernesto Escobar Mejia, 57, at Otay Mesa Detention Center, as the first known to have perished from deliberately lethal neglect. That’s all this genocide requires. No need for gas chambers, thanks to the microbe’s assistance.

“Other than that call, they have never reached out. They have never said, ‘I’m sorry for his death,’” Del Valle said. “Nothing.” The following Monday, an ICE attorney told the judge who had denied Escobar Mejia’s bond that his health had taken a turn for the worse — the government lawyer suggested praying for him.

At 2:15 a.m. on May 6, Escobar Mejia was pronounced dead.

Following his death, Escobar Mejia’s family learned that it would cost $1,700 to cremate his body. A small network of immigration attorneys helped Del Valle to raise the funds and organize a funeral service.

ICE Detainee Who Died of Covid-19 Suffered Horrifying Neglect
by Ryan Devereaux
~https://theintercept.com/2020/05/24/ice-detention-coronavirus-death/

1 Like

That is truly sad to hear. I know what is happening here at detention camps(and also in prisons) is not how a civilized country is supposed to care for it’s detained. But alas, this is not a civilized country(any more). This is something else…

1 Like

Associated Press conducted their own count at 4,500 to rest homes to make room in hospitals.

Cuomo = dumb move: coulda used Javits, Navy hospital, suburbs, cleared out VA hospitals, etc.

h-ttps://apnews.com/5ebc0ad45b73a899efa81f098330204c

We will never have an accurate count for The dead from the virus itself, those with previous health problems like heart or kidney, exposed needlessly like most of the 4,500 persons found to have been transported to rest homes.

1 Like

Cuomo mimics Trump:

Why are there so many deaths in the US? Ask China!
Why are there so many deaths in New York? Ask Trump!

No wonder the Democratic establishment is interested in Cuomo running for president! They think that the best way to beat a Republican is to run someone who acts like a Republican. This is why we keep being faced with horrid choices every election.

1 Like

Yup, as I mentioned above, that’s the Democratic strategy: run someone who is most like the Republican opponent. It’s a losing strategy for obvious reasons.

Or Crooks and Liars, or that pinnacle faux progressive website, Democratic Underground… Where any criticism of any Democrat (and some republicons - getting harder and harder to tell them apart) will get you banned.

In the eyes of the DNC, Governor Corona is prime presidential material…

1 Like

Not disagreeing - people who were living in private homes would surely prefer to go back there to recover and that would clearly be the best option IF they were well enough …but as I posted before from what I read these elderly recovering were in pretty dismal condition from their COVID19 ordeals. Further, many of them already lived in retirement communities and nursing homes as well. My only experience is in PA where full time 24/7 nursing care at home is NOT covered by almost any insurance or Medicare/Medicaid. My mother, in full on heart failure and not able to walk three steps to the portable toilet could not get it nor could my sister dying of colon cancer except at an exorbitant private cost. Both had Medicare and top notch private insurance from their still working - at 70+ each!) spouses…
The problem here is NO PLANNING. NO political will by anyone of any party nor any demand by voters to actually prep for this type of event which they ALL knew would come sooner or later. So Cuomo and his fellow ilk were left with little choice and hence what was done .
Trouble is, in my mind, there is less than a zero chance of any lesson learned. By anyone- from crass pols like Cuomo et al to the voting public. Even for a fall or winter resurgence THIS year!!
It’s like we are popping stupid pills like candy …
Until there is a demand for proactive action by voters this will be an endless loop of “oh sh** what do we do”?..
And stupid stuff then gets done because it looks to be the only quick and dirty option at a moment of crisis…

1 Like

Maybe you should tell that to Cuomo and Wolf et al or ask them why they sent away the hospital ship when they could have used THAT for the recovering elderly, or why closed up their field hospital units etc if you want to talk about The most efficient ready to go solutions. Both make infinitely more sense than using schools and deteriorating abandoned storefronts. …
I was identifying what I see as the problem, speculating on the politics, the reasoning, or lack thereof behind their actions. I was not posting specific solutions not being an apologist for those actions. I sure I made that pretty clear…