Home | About | Donate

Cutting Tropical Deforestation is Key to Curbing Climate Change, And It's Cheap

The Earth during the Anthropocene era will be a dreary and dismal place of unrelenting heat, unending shortages and unremitting misery. People are rising up in anger but not fast enough. The longer people wait to force things to change, the less will end up being preserved.

The powers that be need people to make them change the way things are done. Look how often the greedy excuse their behavior by saying that everybody would do the same thing if given the chance. Some greedy folks say things like - 'If they don't want this to happen they should make us stop. Its legal so why should I stop?"

You know they are right about that. We need to make them stop. We need to get our laws changed, get our newspapers to report the issues more honestly, get our regulations enforced and our law makers out of the oligarchy's pockets. We need to get out in the streets and continuously protest all of the crap we see coming down! The powerful take our quiescence as acquiescence. We need to shut down coal mines and delay/block oil rigs a lot more than we do as yet..

This revolution will be televised, it will be digitalized, it will be YouTubed and Tweeted, Facebooked and CD'd. It will be an online flash revolution... but I sure wish we'd stop waiting so long because with every tic of the clock another patch of rainforest is gone, another square mile of ocean becomes a dead zone, another million tons of carbon enters the environment.

Times a wasting to save what we have left. It is as simple as that. It is all disappearing fast and when it's gone...

we will still be here.

and we won't like it.

"Avoiding dangerous climate change while expanding economic prosperity is perhaps the defining challenge of the 21st century,"
No worry folks! I'm going to sort that just as soon as I pour myself a gallon of wine out of this bottle.

I hope they come up with a better idea than they have here in the South. Several million tons of our forests are cut down every year to be converted to wood pellets and shipped off to the Brits. Why? For the simple reason that the Europeans consider burning our forests "Green" as opposed to burning coal. They get credit for being "Green" so as to comply with their treaty obligations. Meanwhile, we are less a few million more co2 absorbing trees, and wood pellets are less than half as efficient (or twice as polluting) as the coal they don't have to dig. (not to mention the fuel to get our forests to Liverpool) Climate heroes they are though!. They are supposed to use only branches and sawdust but nope! Whole trees. Reminds me of the brilliant ethenol idea...started out was supposed to use only silage, now they use bushels of corn....so food costs have gone through the roof. Sheesh.

It's the hemp they don't want, methinks. " Them bellyful but me hungry, A hungry mob is an angry mob ". B. Marley Better to call in the police and security state, of course. S/ s/ And, it's got nothing to do with getting " stoned ", either. Every little bit helps. Catch a clue, please.

Conservatives have rejected planned parenting to reduce the population growth that causes climate change. They have unknowingly left this vital task to natural forces like deforestation and habitat destruction, war, famine, resource depletion, pandemics, pollution, crime and extinctions to reduce population growth.

It is a dumb, bloody, cruel, inhuman and painful way to reduce our populations, but it may be the fastest.

Most "forests" in the South are tree farms, not forests.

Been to the South? You should come over and take a look. I'm looking out my window at beautiful forests that stretch on for miles. Anyway, it is true that there are some tree farms. Growing a tree is not like planting a rosebush though, takes 25 to 40 years to reach cutting size. Up until then, they are nice to look at and do that whole co2 filtration-oxygen generating thing. So, my point still stands.

Your point is?

That cutting down trees in the South to make wood pellets to ship to Britain so they can be "Green" is both stupid and counterproductive and I hope they see the light soon. and I hope they don't think of duplicating this asinine idea elsewhere.

As we battle the deforestation looking into the biology of sustainable physiology of forest and agroecological methodologies - the ancient art, practice and wisdom of coppice cultivation is documented as being thousands of years old.

A talk by Dave Jacke, author of the two volume Edible Forest Gardens this time last year at Dacres permaculture farm in New Hampshire.

Are you aware of the ancient farming methods of the central Mexican highlands? They are growing food by contouring and mixing weeds ( natural pesticides which are non-toxic ) with lots of greens ( veggies ) and raising goats, pigs and chickens on the hills to perform real weed control, among other things. The omnivore's would not feel threatened and the water entrapment is amazing, too. Difficult physical labor but you are rewarded with pulque and other treats on weekends. grinning

Yep, good luck convincing these third-world (mostly) nations to stop cutting down their forests. Don't get me wrong-it's what needs to be done; however, when their populations are also growing like a wildfire, and they rely on these raw materials, what is the substitute? This will require a world-wide effort and some real aggressive maneuvering in order to stop the cutting of tropical forests. Hell, we can't even figure out how to stop these damn developers from plowing through forests and wetlands here in Florida!! The state of Florida, with Ricky Scott at the helm, don't give a damn; and these developers have more lawyers than God does. The late great Chico Mendes is probably crying up there in his heaven, wishing he could have done more before those bastards shot him like the cowards they are.

I would also point out that natural grass lands store more carbon then the typical boreal forest.

When that grassland plowed up to plant corn and rice and soybean next to no carbon stored and what the grassland retained in the soil is released.

The inherent inefficiency of the profit motive. Profit at any cost is usually a short term gain and very often a long term loss.

This is the efficient use of limited space. These practices came about by long years of observation of natural cycles. Practicing these methods one can grow more calories per acre of food while at the same time better preserving the ecosystem.

The Industrial methods currently used are inherently wasteful. They are premised on SCALE using large areas of land in order to grow one crop. It extremely inefficient and wasteful. This in and of itself exposes the lie that the PROFIT motive makes for a more efficient society,

You got that right!

The differences between small scale farms and big agra are obvious. Yes this system would work for a labor intensive small plot of land but for all its ills big agra stocks the supermarket shelves and there is no way to pay an army of workers to substitue for combines and tractors. I and about a kookabillion million people do not own any land much less farmland. I have trouble too. Ferns don't like me. I have two house plants that are probably just hanging around simply out of spite and stubborness just to outlive me and they might win too. Farmer in the dell I ain't.

Great system but only for a smaller world or post apocalypse depopulated planet.

It is a great system because it is the concept of adaptable mosaic. The other side of big ag is the tons upon tons of waste because of the distribution model its financial structure requires. I keep having a dream of a 10 year program whereby big ag begins to trim buffers of say 2 hectares at the perimeter of massive monoculture crops. The border 1/2 hectare is an organic reclamation tree/hedge buffer and the outer 1 1/2 hectares dedicated to local organic food markets. Most monoculture is export/industry - but why not have the local dietary well being of the immediate community written into the model?

He did get an entire movement going and inspired deep study and roots into agroecology in a worldwide synergy that continues to gain steam.
Remember Henry Ford's attempt to transplant the US model for rubber in Brazil?