Home | About | Donate

Damnatio Memoriae: The First Step to Recovery in a Post-Trump America

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/21/damnatio-memoriae-first-step-recovery-post-trump-america

1 Like

The Democratic Party, in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, is trying to sell us a presidential nominee, Joe Biden, who was one of the principal architects of de-industrialization and responsible for the loss of hundreds of thousands of good, union jobs. Biden and Bill Clinton also destroyed our welfare program, where 70 percent of the recipients were children, and orchestrated the doubling of our prison population and the tripling and quadrupling of sentences.

Biden cannot plausibly offer change. He can only offer more of the same. And most Americans do not want more of the same. The country’s largest voting-age bloc, the 100 million-plus citizens who out of apathy or disgust do not vote, will once again stay home. This demoralization of the electorate is by design.

-Chris Hedges

9 Likes

Should such evil scum get to hide behind the high office of POTUS, I don’t think so. JFK, who tried to make the whole world better paid with his life, but this Orange Pustule gets to mock us daily. End it now. Yesterday would be too late.

9 Likes

The addition of one baseball bat to help permanently remove the smirk on the face of entitlement will greatly improve morale in America.

2 Likes

Unless a Nuremburg style trial brings Trump, his appointees, Moscow Mitch, and the rest of his enablers to justice, the slate will not be wiped clean. Otherwise his huge enabling syndicate will not be neutralized, just as all but one Enron operative dispersed to all points of the compass to pursue Enron’s evil agenda in a decentralized fashion.

3 Likes

“Moscow Mitch” is such depressingly antiquated, self-destructive rhetoric. That’s what bothers me about it even more than the futile Rusophobic bigotry: it’s so pathetically ineffective! This pathogen of Rusophobia does nothing but cancel out the rest of your whole post as possibly originating from someone who doesn’t understand the inherent corrosiveness of xenophobia. It implicitly signs up for and drags in the whole, provably useless Russiagate scam. Why?

I just completed Assata Shakur’s autobiography. That should be assigned reading for anyone contemplating genuine revolution. Poseurs, on the other hand, will have no idea what Assata is talking about. The most outstanding feature of her timeless memoir is the example it sets as movement self-criticism. We get so hornswoggled into our-side versus their-side, we might forget to take a hard look at how we might operate more effectively. That’s where Assata Skakur excels, especially in noting historic mistakes of the Black Panther Party.

4 Likes

Indeed. But its common use in circles such as these is proof positive that rank & file “progressive” Democrats have been handily moved into Bircher-level xenophobia, paranoia, and hatred of Russia.

Unlike their fear-freak forebearers, the New McCarthyites could pierce the lies with half an hour and a search engine, but choose ignorance and stupidity instead.

And from that, the nation will not recover for decades, if ever.

4 Likes

I am all onboard for reversing Trumps executive orders, but I would use great caution in reorganizing the court system, as the author is suggesting. This may become a bridge too far for the people, and set off a retaliatory move when the administration changes hands again. There were many unqualified judges appointed by this administration that could be removed by impeachment, I would again suggest the new administration use this avenue to dilute the far right leaning judges appointed recently.

5 Likes

Even some of the columnists here register their membership in that “rank and file” with toxins Rusophobic, Sinophobic, Iranophobic… somewhere, anywhere to drive a wedge between us and them. But then again: this here Commons only belongs to us ground-level anarchists, imho (no matter who’s paying for it).

I think it’s worth keeping in mind, this is something W.E.B. DuBois repeatedly insists on: First we only need to build a community of thinkers with their heads screwed on straight – It can start out small, we don’t have to convince everyone or compete with the agitprop machine for amplitude.

2 Likes

Problem is, the people funding these websites employ censorship. I’ve been censored and had accounts deleted on rawstory/alternet, salon, mamma jones, crooks & liars, and, here - just last week for the fifth? time. Mustn’t let the proles get too uppity,

In fact, the only place I was not censored was truthdig… but TD itself has been terminated, because its owner, a billionaire DNC-type, grew fearful of the actual leftist writers there, who refused to toe the Company Line.

3 Likes

Well hang in there. I’ve gotten away with quite a bit here for decades. A couple of days ago, I was rebuked (mildly) for quoting a too-explicit passage from Jeffrey about how “coney” (rabbit for the table) was pronounced before the great vowel-shift: to rhyme with “honey bunny!”

1 Like

A couple of days ago, I was rebuked (mildly) for quoting a too-explicit passage from Jeffrey about how “coney” (rabbit for the table) was pronounced before the great vowel-shift: to rhyme with *“honey bunny!”

Whatever you do, don’t mention Kant - Immanuel, that is. :wink:

1 Like

You’re stepping very close indeed the locus of my violation, smatterfack. A proximate contributor warned us to be wary of lit majors (such as the rabbit woman), as they tend to be “cunning linguists.”

A friend of mine, who’s actually enrolled in the academic adjunct workfarm these days, told me it’s impossible to understand Kant without learning German. That could explain a lot. As Randy Newman said: “Maybe I’m doing it wrong…”

I’d settle for one nasty fall onto cement that would smash up his face, up to and including stiches, two black eyes, orbital bone fracture that would cause his eyelid to permanently droop, and bruises that take months to heal. Smirking would be too painful. As would that pout.

1 Like

“A new administration must patiently and persuasively make every effort to demonstrate to the public that the process by which Donald Trump became president was tainted, and not sweep the unpleasant facts under the rug, as the Obama administration did with the lies and crimes of his predecessor’s invasion of Iraq.”

It was not just the Bush war that O swept under the rug. Bush too was illegitimate, installed by the Supremes in 2000 after losing. i don’t know why Lofgren didn’t go there, after he set it up. The neocon warpath was paved when Gore and the Dems rolled over for that blatant theft.

4 Likes

That pout is what made his daddy trust him with all of his criminal secrets.

1 Like

Lofgren’s ideas for presidential accountability in the good old USA should be attempted, i suppose. (Although he’s delusional if he thinks these Democrats would even dare imagine such actions, let alone boldly start carrying them out.)

But! The rot at the heart of the good old USA goes way deeper than the Trump interregnum. Lofgren does acknowledge the lack of accountbility since “after Watergate,” and he references the Reagan administration’s Iran-Contra affair (illegal arms sales, illegal proxy war, and election shenanigans) and the Bush administration’s illegal aggression against Iraq. He’s clearly not completely clueless about the long, bipartisan reign of impunity that has destroyed executive accountability for criminal acts in office.

But! There is no way the political establishment in the USA will go anywhere near Lofgren’s proposal, or touch it with a ten-thousand-foot pole.

We do better to look to the complete collapse of the USA, and the establishment of new governance based not just on democracy and accountability, but more fundamentally, based on ecological integrity and social good, rather than based on libertarian license, ruthless individualism, and the rule of capital.

4 Likes

Of course the US needs a program of derightification. That though is going to be impossible until Biden, if he can even win, is removed from office by the people, along with all the Republicans that he plans to put in place on his cabinet. US right wingers are not the other side of some abstract debate. They are fascists and the Democratic Party needs to also be either totally reformed, or burned to the ground, for their part in enabling fascism.

1 Like

Would Chris Hedges rather have trump in office? Once again offering no solutions.

Among other programs, we need a Truth and Reconciliation process, in which the people involved are charged with crimes but can choose to plead guilty and receive suspended sentences in exchange for telling the truth about everything they did, turning over all documents, giving up all money they made during the time during and after their crimes, and agreeing to being barred from ever holding a position of responsibility in government, business, non-profit or religion (if that last one is constitutional). Any secrets they leave out, any money withheld, any violation results in immediate imprisonment with continuation of the T&R agreement.

Everyone who committed crimes like torture, war, obstruction, etc. would be subject to prosecution, plus science denial that resulted in crimes–fraud, SEC violations, felony murder (of which there are already tens of thousands of counts in dozens of countries, at least)…

Obviously this can only happen after a revolution. We should get started on thata right now. Whoever becomes president will be the enemy, along with most of Congress in both parties.

1 Like