Home | About | Donate

Dangerous Plastics Are a Threat to Us and Future Generations

Dangerous Plastics Are a Threat to Us and Future Generations

Meena Miriam Yust

Every day people make decisions about what to eat, sometimes opting for colorful fruits and veggies, sometimes finding the smell of bacon irresistible. At the end of the day people are controlling their own health. What is remarkable though, is the possibility that something one swallows today could have a lasting effect on future offspring—children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. New research is finding a generational impact of certain chemicals. This time it’s not the bacon we’re worried about—but plastics and the toxins within them.

2 Likes

If only we could re-live our lives, knowing what we all know now.

3 Likes

Agreed. I have to say, though, that I had a bad feeling all along as more and more products shifted from glass, paper, cardboard, and metal containers to plastic disposable ones.

Predictable! I often think that this country seems to be always on the wrong side of
any worthwhile attempt at international cooperation whatsoever.
The wrong people are driving this car…right towards the edge of the cliff!

sigh— and the plastic chickens have come home to roost in the plastic nation. We have so much plastic now: plastic politicians; plastic theme parks and where is Nature anyway? Plastic religions of intolerance and hate; plastic cars which seem to fall apart so quickly; plastic tasting prepared foods that look like food but taste funny, and plastic phones where so many stare into that small rectangular space and find an even smaller and more plastic world. : (

1 Like

We’d probably do the same thing…

Exactly. Look at how many people right now know very clearly what is up with fossil fuels and atmospheric carbon and climate catastrophe, and keep on driving and flying and buying plastic crap. Also there’s been plenty of info on toxics, yes the new studies are new but it’s not as if we have not known plastics are toxic. Lots of examples.

1 Like

This reminds me of this pretty incredible, if true, video I saw about effects of microwave radiation on later generations:

PET - Polyethylene Terephthalate (#1 Plastic) - is also an endocrine disruptor.

It’s that hard clear plastic used to make one-use water bottles, soft drink bottles, fruit juice bottles, liquor bottles, and a myriad other uses. It leaches into the bottles’ contents.

Similarly the plastic used to line food and drink cans leaches endocrine disruptors into the cans’ contents.

1 Like