Home | About | Donate

'Dangerous': With Foodborne Illness On the Rise, USDA Seeking Privatization of Food Safety Inspection at Beef Plants

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/10/dangerous-foodborne-illness-rise-usda-seeking-privatization-food-safety-inspection

Self regulated, and For Profit Inspection just don’t work. Never have. The Neocons would rather see people die than give up on a failed ideology

10 Likes

The only way to really be safe is to be like me and quit eating meat; especially, fast food meat !

8 Likes

Also, better for not only your health but the health of the environment and climate.

5 Likes

It worked so well at Boeing now they’ll move on to food, drugs, ?.

10 Likes

The largest food recalls in history have happened over the past 10 years or so as the industry further concentrated and further deregulated. They can not and will not “police themselves” contrary to the nonsense that champions of the “Free market” suggest.

10 Likes

Nothing is safe including fruits and vegetables if not regulated. I ate some bing cherries the other day and shortly after rubbed my eyes. Both became very red, scratchy, and watered. Chemicals I assume created an allergic response.

4 Likes

“Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle to expose the appalling working conditions in the meat-packing industry. His description of diseased, rotten, and contaminated meat shocked the public and led to new federal food safety laws.” That book was published in 1906. A little over 100 years later, and it looks like we’re going backward.

8 Likes

If the businesses were so concerned about the peoples health they would not be selling food that has to be recalled. I see you an advocate of the Austrian School of Economics. The Von Mises crowd is an absolute crock.

Do explain why Tobacco Companies told the people that there no harm smoking Cigarettes when they knew the opposite the case or why Exxon suppressed climate change science for 40 plus years? Were they protecting “reputations”?

How about Monsanto hiring shills to show up on boards such as this to pretend the science claims Glysophates as being safe? What of Boeings fiasco with its “safety sensors” are optional aircraft?

Generating profits and protecting “Reputations” are not the same thing.

11 Likes

If the filthy, corporate-loving, bought and paid for politicians would let government employees do the job they were meant to do, people (tax payers) would be safe. Allowing the people employed by government agencies to actually do the jobs they were hired to do, and want to do, is both protective and cost effective.

3 Likes

Upton Sinclair rolls in his grave.

4 Likes

This is yet another good reason to give up eating beef. Especially if it is not from locally raised, grass fed cattle, from a reliable butcher. Most of our supermarket and fast food ground meats are an anonymous amalgam of meats whose origins cannot be traced.

3 Likes

What isn’t tainted? A vegan friend of mine got salmonella poisoning from veggies or salad he ate. We could go on a Water diet, but that’s poisoned as well. Don’t think there is an answer when everything around us is unsafe.

3 Likes

"Time To Be A Vegan And Be Smart About Your Health."

2 Likes

Getting to know your local organic farmers might just save your life. Eat organic, grow organic and encourage family and friends to do the same. Peace

2 Likes

While there is no way I would become a vegan, this particular move by the meat industry is bound to cause an exponential increase in the number of meat eaters switching to vegan or at least decreasing the amount of commercial meat they eat. And wait until there is a major outbreak of salmonellosis because of this policy. But it will be a boon for small butchers in rural areas. Good thinking, guys, short term gains earn long term losses.

1 Like

If the corporations didn’t have government regulators looking over their shoulders and checking on them, there is no way they would do “voluntary” recalls. Without the government regulators, they would never even acknowledge that there was a problem and certainly wouldn’t react to it. And none of those “voluntary” recalls you imagine were found by the corporation involved. The CDC was generally the agency that found the outbreak after the fact.

There comes a time that the dogmatic rightwing claim that there is something harmful about regulations that prevent businesses doing whatever they want becomes ludicrous. This is one of those times. See Upton Sinclair “The Jungle.”

4 Likes

Privatiztion the roadway to corruption.

3 Likes

There was a book out on mad cow disease too. I read it about fifteen years ago, now is out of print and off library shelves. Mad cow disease stays active after the animal is buried, after the meat is cooked, and exists in nerve tissue in live animals. Sick animals that can’t be snuck into the general food supply get sent to rendering plants for animal food, and often stay in the food chain as the animals are killed and eaten. Ghastly history in that book, forget the name.

I talked to a meat inspector during the Reagan years. He said Reagan’s administration severely cut back on the NUMBER of meat inspectors so more meat would pass through without being rejected.

1 Like